Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Planar Protector

I find that on raids the exp group is the group with the rogue(s) pretty much hands down. Have a rogue and monk in the same group and you are basically getting exp every single kill.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Aviak

I'd always heard monk dps is roughly 18% less than a rogue. Also rogue dps owns and is probably the best in game if geared properly.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Planar Protector

Monk damage is very high and consistent. Rogues are somewhat high and then have the high burst damage as well.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better DPS class in PvE with a Ragebringer in your main hand though. Those double backstabs are severely brutal. On low level mobs you got assassinate as well, which isn't really a big deal for raiding purposes but is a nice little thing to have.

Also, Monks didn't receive triple attack at 60 until a patch in Velious, so really, you're looking at Rogues with the advantage through and through.

Even more so in Velious when Rogues take some primal. Their damage is insane. I remember in PvP when they'd proc primal as well. It was very hard for Rogues to have their hits miss/ not hit for max.

Monks were always my favorite choice in PvE/ PvP though. I thoroughly enjoyed leading raids and the great utility/ survivability, even in sticky situationsthatswhatshesaid.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Sarnak

Mages aren't the big DPS caster, mod rods only hit for 275 or so (I'm a monk, IDK the numbers) Starshot does a pretty good amount of damage to Kolevii every raid though, maybe I'm wrong.

I'd be kinda interested to see what some of the best geared rogues parse at, in a plane of hate raid.

Also, kinda sad to say there's a short ending to melee scaling in classic. At 150 or so str w/ a bard in group, or 188 (not really feasible w/o the best gear), you're done as a monk. Sure you could up your dex for a mild increase, but you'd be better going for hp/ac.

Spose rogues have it a little better, or at least different. 188 str is easy for ya'll, from what I hear, and it's just about the weaps.

Neither of us get an upgrade from cloak of flames or bassoon hastes or anything in a raid, if it's anything like live. Sorry to kill whoever's dreams [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Steelwarrior and monklybusiness and other parses showed like a 72% cap
Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleafclover [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mages aren't the big DPS caster, mod rods only hit for 275 or so (I'm a monk, IDK the numbers) Starshot does a pretty good amount of damage to Kolevii every raid though, maybe I'm wrong.

I'd be kinda interested to see what some of the best geared rogues parse at, in a plane of hate raid.

Also, kinda sad to say there's a short ending to melee scaling in classic. At 150 or so str w/ a bard in group, or 188 (not really feasible w/o the best gear), you're done as a monk. Sure you could up your dex for a mild increase, but you'd be better going for hp/ac.

Spose rogues have it a little better, or at least different. 188 str is easy for ya'll, from what I hear, and it's just about the weaps.

Neither of us get an upgrade from cloak of flames or bassoon hastes or anything in a raid, if it's anything like live. Sorry to kill whoever's dreams [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Steelwarrior and monklybusiness and other parses showed like a 72% cap
Ragebringer is 41 Haste... Monk epic is clicky bard haste?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Sarnak

presently. 72 or 74 or w.e becomes 100 in kunark
Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Banned

I tried reading Ennui's post and now my brain is broken.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Kobold

what does he mean
Old 08-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah, I think solo monks may have the edge because their worn and epic stack. In a raid though, Rogues/ monks are way up there in DPS together. I think Rogues take it usually though. I'd always be pulling as a monk or assist pulling.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I found that slightly odd that rogues aren't the top damage class with their narrow skill-set. Usually there's some sort of compromise with a variety of factors. For a DPS class these are normally scaling DPS vs. Utility for inter-class balance.

In my opinion, and most of those that I've queried, rogues aren't considered to be in the top 3 of DPS dealers in classic. With Wiz, Mage, and Monk competing for the top 3. With exceptions of course based on skill levels and gear.

So then, why do rogues end up in the bottom of all of the DPS category?

Did Verant forget to include some skills that make rogues as much of a threat as the other DPS classes? Were rogues intended to be a primarily utility class to be used in dungeons to unlock key doors and disarm lethal traps that were never implemented?

Will this be improved at all in the near future, or are rogues put in the same category as rangers?
To sum it up, I think everyone agrees that the above is completely incorrect.
Closed Thread