Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Agatha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostbitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol people don't shun each other for dropping f bombs in public. I can't even believe that this is an issue on a game played by mostly men ages 20-60. Some of yall need to grow a pair
exactly, i honestly cannot believe this is even a problem and actively being persued. staff needs to entirely rethink this shit.

edit : if someone comes to the staff with a petition about language you need to call them a F-word and ban them for rule lawyering and abusing the GM's. i cant believe you guys are getting played like this so hard.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

I would personally rather see GM's online doing 2 boxing tests, catching people exploiting, training, running events, answering petitions or even just not see a gm. Red has an excessively finite amount of resources when it comes to the staff and this seems like an immense waste of that time.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
im 27 and outside of video games, the word faggot is tossed around alot, ingame even more so.

everyone who grew up in my generation was raised on to know faggot as a curse word, not a derogatory term towards gays. and is used by everyone....
Why is this specific term so ubiquitous amongst boys your age? Why does it seem so important to you? Couldn't you substitute "pussy"? I mean, that still questions your target's masculinity, right? Not gay enough? How about "bitch" or "cocksucker"? "Ass-pussy"?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

blame our parents idk agatha one of gayest dudes on the server tho for real that dude looked at my dick
Old 11-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuruk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
why stop on the server chat when you can do it in game?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Goes to show how toxic this server is.
Guy was being a jerk, but pretty sure nobody cares that much what people say to you in tells. There's a certain point at which you have to draw a line on a pvp server; it goes both ways. If he was offensive you ignored him; so doesn't seem like big deal.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostbitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would personally rather see GM's online doing 2 boxing tests, catching people exploiting, training, running events, answering petitions or even just not see a gm. Red has an excessively finite amount of resources when it comes to the staff and this seems like an immense waste of that time.
Excellent post; I remember when I asked GMs to invis stalk raid mobs on a 200+ man live twitch question stream roughly a year ago (so people don't have to submit gay fraps every single time). They did it for like 1-2 weeks and went back into complete hibernation. Literally never see GMs at raid encounters is embarrassing with all due respect.

There is no better way to catch people cheating/training/being idiots than GM invis stalking a raid encounter.
Last edited by Clark; 11-09-2014 at 12:30 PM..
Old 11-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Agatha

Quote:
blame our parents idk agatha one of gayest dudes on the server tho for real that dude looked at my dick
can confirm, seen mostbitters penis.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Unless I missed it in this thread, no one cares about the word fuck or other swears. I certainly don't.

Calling someone a faggot or a ****** in a public channel is low and I personally find it refreshing that GMs are trying to keep a minimum level of decorum. Trust me on this, on e you elevate your life beyond the federal tax minimum, the number of people calling eachother faggots quickly drops off. As it should

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 11-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Guy was being a jerk, but pretty sure nobody cares that much what people say to you in tells. There's a certain point at which you have to draw a line on a pvp server; it goes both ways. If he was offensive you ignored him; so doesn't seem like big deal.
It may not be a big deal but it's the main contributor to why people don't stay here.

This kinda shit in server chat/ooc begets more of it. Soon enough, 90% of the people you play with treat you like dogshit and you lack the motivation to log in.

Surely you've noticed a critical mass with regards to new people/pop?

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 11-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

While I respect and understand some of your viewpoints regarding where "the line" gets drawn in regards to language, verbal exchanges, and general hostility, this isn't something that's going to change.

It's funny that people think we "put resources" into policing language. When I see someone say a banned word in server chat, I slap a temporary forum ban on them. It's not like I run forum searches for specific words. I don't go out of my way to check on these things. Most of the time, it happens when I'm not even on "csr time" and am instead just using my free time to catch up on threads. This is usually how it works for the rest of the staff too.

It's more or less the same for policing in-game chat. If I see someone stepping out of line in OOC when I'm working on something, red or blue, I usually pull them aside and give them a warning. If they've had a warning before, or they should know better, they get slapped with a punishment. It's a zero effort task. Don't worry, super-concerned-about-the-server forum goers who don't think verbal communication is an important part of how the server presents itself to new and current players, you aren't losing CSR time over the f word.

What blows my mind, Agatha and company, is that you guys don't think it makes a difference on the server when people just run their mouths and say whatever they want. There are definitely people - and I'm part of this group - who really couldn't care less what we see people say or talk about. For all I care I could watch you all talk about doing drugs and having sex with trannys all day and it wouldn't have any effect on my play experience. This group is the minority. A very loud and opinionated minority. The rest of the population doesn't like listening/reading that kind of shit, and shouldn't be subjected to it just because a handful of people feel like it doesn't matter. You guys clearly think that Sirken and I are just making shit up when we tell you that players quit or simply never come play here because of that and nothing else. These people aren't "pussies" and they don't need to "toughen up". That's a narrow-minded and skewed perception of social interaction. Even though I'm not affected by that kind of language, I can recognize that other people are, and that's why it's not allowed here, and never will be.

As a side note,

Quote:
Excellent post; I remember when I asked GMs to invis stalk raid mobs on a 200+ man live twitch question stream roughly a year ago (so people don't have to submit gay fraps every single time). They did it for like 1-2 weeks and went back into complete hibernation. Literally never see GMs at raid encounters is embarrassing with all due respect.

There is no better way to catch people cheating/training/being idiots than GM invis stalking a raid encounter.
We do our best to be where we can, but CSR work on P99 extends far beyond just watching people mess around during raid encounters. That accounts for a small percentage of the total population on both servers (though it is a significantly larger portion on Red), and there are LOTS of other things to attend to. I'm sorry that we are unable to babysit fully grown adults when they go to fight dragons, but we really shouldn't have to. We still realize that it is necessary, however, and just because you don't see us doesn't mean we are in "complete hibernation". We are finally bringing more Guides onto the staff for both Red and Blue to be eyes and ears, as well as to help take some of the load off of the senior CSR staff (mainly Eunomia, myself, Sirken), and our overworked red hero Aussie, who has a crazy schedule IRL and still finds time to come over here and work with you guys as often as he can. This should make a huge difference in CSR presence on both servers.

It's really simple to think you have GM'ing (or Guiding, really, since that's the majority of the work when it comes to CSR - the things that "only GM's" can handle tend to be things you guys don't even think about) all figured out, but it's probably not what you think. We are forced to look at the macro picture for every situation, including the well-being of both servers, at all times. That doesn't always afford us the luxury of focusing on what we'd like to focus on, or what a handful of players would like us to focus on. It would be great if doing CSR on p99 was as simple as "watch badguys. ban badguys." but it's not, and I laugh every-time someone tries to boast that they would be the best CSR because they would "catch all the people they know are bad for the server." I realize that sounds condescending and I don't have a problem with that - so far our current CSR staff has done a great job, and I'm proud of the way our team continues to work to provide you guys an enjoyable Everquest experience. Feel free to armchair GM as much as you'd like, but recognize that it means very little to us in the long run. That's doesn't mean we don't respect our players opinions, criticisms, or insights, because we absolutely do! We love you guys and will continue to work hard so that Project 1999 continues to be the best emulated Everquest server available. That has been, and always will be, our goal as a CSR staff.

tl;dr - not everyone likes what you like or wants to hear what you're used to hearing. Doing CSR with a small team and a very loud and opinionated player-base is difficult but rewarding. The CSR staff feels like we get it right most of the time, even though there will always be a few loud naysayers who think otherwise. we <3 you.
Closed Thread