Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by magisterco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone mentioned in another thread related to this to try using a VPN.

Today i have been dcing roughly every 8 to 15 mins.

Set up a VPN, so far not a blip for 1hr 32mins.

I know its not long enough to consider it being a fix (1.5 hours is not that long), but its the longest ive been online without a dc this week.
Just Dc'd again, going to try rerouting
Old 02-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its probably because the VPN is routing better then your ISP is therefore again proving that its a IP issue and not a p99 issue.
I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that when these disconnects happen its SPECIFICALLY P99 servers, website, etc. We don't lose connection to the internet, our connection to the server is disrupted. You are basically just telling us to deal with it and trust that the ISP will magically fix our problem. They won't, it's up to us to solve this issue. If it were you that could not stay connected this would be a much bigger issue, right?

Now that all the finger pointing for fault is done can we maybe brainstorm other ideas on why this is happening or better yet ideas on how to fix it please? There seems to be a post like this every few months where a select group of players for a region get disconnects. If it is indeed the ISP what are some things we could do to get around this problem? Is the VPN idea still holding up?
Old 02-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Large Rat

After going LD about every five minutes this morning, I decided to try a google search for a Free VPN; I downloaded and installed one. I played for over an hour with out any disconnects before I logged off. It seems to be an effective work around.

With that said, most of the Free VPNs I found limit the amount of data usage before you have to pay.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:27 PM
Kobold

are you guys just getting a client lockup? ive been having the issue where EQ just freezes and becomes unresponsive the only thing i can do is X out of the window.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veltira [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that when these disconnects happen its SPECIFICALLY P99 servers, website, etc. We don't lose connection to the internet, our connection to the server is disrupted. You are basically just telling us to deal with it and trust that the ISP will magically fix our problem. They won't, it's up to us to solve this issue. If it were you that could not stay connected this would be a much bigger issue, right?

Now that all the finger pointing for fault is done can we maybe brainstorm other ideas on why this is happening or better yet ideas on how to fix it please? There seems to be a post like this every few months where a select group of players for a region get disconnects. If it is indeed the ISP what are some things we could do to get around this problem? Is the VPN idea still holding up?
Correct it happens only to p99 it could be a routing issues on your ISP end connecting to p99. It doesnt necessarily mean its on p99's end.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Kobold

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Correct it happens only to p99 it could be a routing issues on your ISP end connecting to p99. It doesnt necessarily mean its on p99's end.
Did you just come here to say this over and over? We've moved on to ways to correct the issue and you still want to argue about who's fault it is. We don't care who's fault it is, we are not and were never blaming P99; we just want to find a way to play like the rest of you.

Meanwhile the VPN answer is working, I've personally tried it and can confirm that i got no dosconnects for the first hour, then i had to go to work. If there's interest I can put together a small guide (or find one relevant) explaining the steps necessary to work around this issue until it either resolves itself or we find a better solution. Thanks to Gnotshr for confirming the VPN workaround.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Large Bat

I can only 1 of my three my posts.. TESTING..
Old 02-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Kobold

So just to verify that something more than just complaining is being done... I attempted to contact charter to get their assistance in resolving the issues.

After doing the "troubleshooting" steps for connectivity (even though I was explicit about the issue) I got disconnected 3 times before getting back to the chat person.

Ended up with the same guy.

Our conversation after I explained it was still not resolved was pretty much this...

__________________________________________________ _____________

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: Please give me a minute or two to run further tests.

You: the issue occurs at another location on a different account with a different computer with a direct connection to the charter provided router too.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: Thank you for patiently waiting.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: Mr. *****, I did check your connection once more after you powercycle it and I can't still check any issues with it. I understand that you can access it without issues using a non-Charter connection and the issue persists on other Charter network as well. The said information brings me the possibility that the said site might be the one having issues with Charter connections. The reason why this case is possible is because Charter doesn't block ports/routes on any websites.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: Like you mentioned, the issue persists on Charter connections. That's why I suggest that you try to contact the site administrator to see if they are having issues with Charter network connection to see if they can check and fix the issue on their end instead.

You: Does charter not specify the nodes that are used in making a connection to any IP address?

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: Charter doesn't block ports or nodes in making a connection to any IP addresses.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: That's why it would be best if you will give the site adminitrator of the said website a call so you can bring this issue to their attention.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: There might be an issue with the site communicating using Charter connections that could cause the issue and they can certainly check that for you.

You: but YOUR the isp that is having the issue in routing... I can use any other ISP and not have this issue.

You: Is there not an advanced tech support agent who has the ability to monitor a trace route to verify the nodes your system is choosing is working correctly?

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: I understand that. Since Charter, the ISP that you are using, is not blocking any ports or nodes, you need to check with the site administrator if they are having issues or if they are blocking Charter connections since only Charter connections are experiencing this issue. If there is an issue with Charter connection, multiple sites will be affected. Since it is only one particular site and Charter doesn't block or open ports or nodes, it would be best to give the site administrator a call so we can check both ends of the issue.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: I regret to inform you as well that we don't have a Tier 2 support, a higher technicial support agent, that can check the nodes since Charter doesn't block or open ports or nodes.

You: The site admin has stated they are not aware of any issues on their end.

You: I keep getting pointed back to charter... since it's only charter that has the issue

You: specifically the node route charter forces me to use to connect to the specific IP address. Bypassing your forced route by using a VPN resolved the issue.

You: Tracing route to 170.rogean.com [108.61.129.170] *deleted the long line of text, it's already posted here.) is an example of the traceroute from another location near by.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: Mr. *****, I perfectly understand what you have done to bypass the issue.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: Here's what we can do. We can send a ticket instead so we can check the said issue that you are having on one website only.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: This will take within 24 to 48 hours to get results.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: It would be best to check with the site administrators again within the said time frame so they can be aware that Charter doesn't block or open any ports or nodes on our connection.

You: Yes, I would like for Charter to contact GTT.net to verify why charter is having issues with information on their network.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: I regret to inform you that we won't contact them. What we will check is our connection.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: It would be best that you contact them once more while we are checking our connection and let them know that we don't block or open nodes for a specific IP address so they can check if there is an issue with the nodes that you are using with Charter connection to connect to their site.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: Okay, Mr. ******. If that is the case, we will still check our connection within 24 to 48 hours.

You: to verify, you will check that the connection is constant with no short term interuptions over a period of time?

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: What we will do is to send a ticket to check everything on our end to make sure that there is no issue with our Internet connection.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: You can also visit www.charter.com/customers/supportgeneral.aspx or www.charter.com/faqs for general information and Frequently Asked Questions about Charter services.

Charter Customer Representative [Alfrederick]: As a recap, I was able to assist you with your project1999.com issue by checking your connection. As a reminder, we will send notifications regarding your Charter account to ******@charter.net. Is there anything else that I can assist you with?

__________________________________________________ _____

And a disconnect again as I was typing this... /sigh

So to verify... can a site admin at least chime in that this IS being looked at on the hosting side?

Krey
Last edited by Kreylyn; 02-01-2015 at 09:50 PM..
Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Kobold

Great job Kreylyn! Hopefully this will help our cause!
Old 02-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Aviak

I have had success with CyberGhost 5 VPN software for the past 1.5hours. Have to goto bed will do further testing tomorrow after work but seems to be working.