Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 02:49 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pandered class deserves nothing extra, just a quad flurry of attacks from nerf bat.
Remove monk from Sanctum Guardian Ear pronto. Priest earring. Humbug.
Exactly, its time to buff classes that need a lot of involvement, Shaman, MOnks, Enchanters, Bards need much more, while Rogues and Warriors need nerfed heavily. Good call.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 AM
Planar Protector

I think that's partially their original reasoning behind it - by that point they'd surely realized monks are typically out there doing the heavy lifting while the rest of the raid/group sits on their butts. That and back then the weight penalty was probably more of a burden, since the economy wasn't broken and Tinker/Dragon bags were much more difficult to obtain.

I don't think the defense increase really means a lot on P99 though, they'll still have shitty aggro even if they're doing more DPS. Warriors will still be tanking endgame raid mobs because of disciplines, etc. Now that everyone is more or less geared out in Velious stuff, taking a beating isn't much to boast about. It will be great for the solo/duo/trio artists.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 01-10-2017 at 05:09 AM..
Old 01-10-2017, 05:01 AM
Planar Protector

That or a Verant dev mained a monk and figured "I want 60ac pants with 100hp! Who cares if no other class gets anything that insane, even the tanks?! MONKS CAN BE THE TANKS TOO! AND THE TOP DPS! HECK, MEND SHOULD WORK LIKE LOH!"

I just always think of noob comic and the ranger replaced with monks. Only reason I'd wanna see moon kitties is so the server wont stagnate in this wretched lizard monk master race state.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They should've given all of the monk things to rangers.
I think the biggest problem with balance regarding monks is from their inception they were meant to be balanced by limited itemisation; look at vanilla sure they had the best melee skills, but they had to deal with crappy 1hb/2hb ratios (compared to slash/pierce) and especially heavy weapons. They couldn't use smithed armour types, leaving very few high AC pieces.

Kunark rolls around and turned this on its head; instead giving monks the best ratio weapons, often with low delay, and eventually access to all/all equipment with ludicrous AC. By Velious the shark has been jumped and monks now have the best melee skills, the best weapons and sometimes even the best worn ac on class specific armor (Barbie legs -this one item alone took monks to 1/5th of the early Velious AC cap).

I don't know who was in charge of itemisation in everquests, but surely they had to play a monk!? At least it provides us with a really solid melee class for min maxers!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:06 AM
Planar Protector

Thankfully Shroud of Completelyutterlybroken doesn't drop anymore.
At that point the dev maining a monk said to himself "man, if only I could wear PD robe and fungi at the same ti- OHWAIT A MINUTE".
Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That or a Verant dev mained a monk and figured "I want 60ac pants with 100hp! Who cares if no other class gets anything that insane, even the tanks?! MONKS CAN BE THE TANKS TOO! AND THE TOP DPS! HECK, MEND SHOULD WORK LIKE LOH!"

I just always think of noob comic and the ranger replaced with monks. Only reason I'd wanna see moon kitties is so the server wont stagnate in this wretched lizard monk master race state.
Monks were the best tanks in vanilla. As long as they didn't wear those utterly stupid AC free stat items. It was not a change in Kunark or Velious. The main issue in vanilla was the lack of people who understood that stats were meaningless and AC was all.

IIRC Warriors could not hit 1000AC in vanilla. Monks could.
Last edited by EdTuBrutus; 01-10-2017 at 06:31 AM..
Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTuBrutus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monks were the best tanks in vanilla. As long as they didn't wear those utterly stupid AC free stat items. It was not a change in Kunark or Velious. The main issue in vanilla was the lack of people who understood that stats were meaningless and AC was all.
For shitting around in Sebilis sure. Youre not about to see monks get put into the tank chain on AoW or ToV though. And if youre not a warrior , HP > all for raiding (after MR)
AoEs dont care about your AC.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTuBrutus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monks definitely need a boost at this point. Monks have to put in a lot of effort but still get outdpsed by Rogues who have no proper involvement in the game, so get away with just reading webpages between begging for buffs then turn around and top the DPS pressing two buttons.
Basically then a monk will be top DPS by hitting 1 button, auto-attack. Monks don't need any kind of DPS boost to be honest. We have a lot of utility with FD / Sneak / Mend / High Skill Caps / Epic haste buff. Knights are always shafted along with wizards, rangers, and DoT classes (for shame a necro should just twitch raids and a shaman should just torpor / spam heal / buff, same for druid). Would be nice to see some other classes with more raid / group utility. Monks can already tank well in a group and even handle rampage on some mobs.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Basically then a monk will be top DPS by hitting 1 button, auto-attack. Monks don't need any kind of DPS boost to be honest. We have a lot of utility with FD / Sneak / Mend / High Skill Caps / Epic haste buff. Knights are always shafted along with wizards, rangers, and DoT classes (for shame a necro should just twitch raids and a shaman should just torpor / spam heal / buff, same for druid). Would be nice to see some other classes with more raid / group utility. Monks can already tank well in a group and even handle rampage on some mobs.
I assumed Ed was just trolling with his post about Monks needing a boost. Theyre already the majority of peoples 2nd mains/alts and a good chunk of the populations mains. Not the sort of numbers that suggest a class needs a boost.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Sarnak

Every melee gets a little something during that patch. Bards get on the warrior damage table & can use epic in off-hand without a penalty, rangers get a buff to their atk stat, monks get tripple attack, warriors can switch hands on epics, knights get the 2handed buffs, and some high end rogue daggers get upgraded. It's a pretty nice patch overall for melee.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/hist...es-2001-2.html

Code:
* Summary of Melee Changes *

- Two-Handed Weapons have been given an increased damage bonus for 
characters over level 50. Also, certain post-epic quality two-handers 
have been improved.

- Warriors have had their taunt skill cap increased to 230 at 60th 
level. Also, the Blades of Strategy and Tactics can now be used in 
either hand.

- Rogues, as the primary user of piercing weapons, will benefit from an 
improvement in the quality of a few existing high-end daggers. At some 
future date new piercing weapons will be added to the game to fill gaps 
in equipment availability.

- Monks will now be on an improved combat table at levels 55 and again 
to a better table at 60. Monks now have the ability to Triple Attack at 
60th level. The minimum damage done by Flying Kick will be greatly 
increased for monks starting at 51st level and scaling up to level 60. 
We also intend to add more monk weapons in the future to fill equipment 
gaps.

- Rangers have their Double Attack skill cap raised to 245. They have 
also gained an innate offensive bonus that starts at level 55 and 
increases until level 60. Ranger's Defense skill cap has been raised to 
220, and their Riposte skill cap has been raised to 185.

- Paladins and Shadowknights, besides the benefits they gain from the 
two-handed weapons change mentioned above, have also been moved to the 
same combat tables as warriors. In the future we intend to examine the 
existing one-handed weapons useable by knights for possible upgrades. 
We are also increasing the Taunt skill cap for these two classes to 

- Bards have had their 1h blunt and 1h slash skill caps increased to 
250. Their piercing skill cap has been increased to 240. Their Offense 
skill cap has been raised to 252. Bards are also being moved to the 
same combat table with all the other melee and hybrid classes (save 
monks who have separate tables after level 55). Bards Parry skill cap 
has been raised to 185 as well. Finally, the Singing Shortsword can now 
be equipped in the off hand and still give full song enhancing 
benefits.
Closed Thread