Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or Barbarian for faction, fashion, and all around sexiness [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But yeah, power-game-wise Ogre (at level 60) or Troll (up until level 60) are the correct choices.
Can't argue with that, but at the end of the day, we're all bears!

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't argue with that, but at the end of the day, we're all bears!
Yes but the white ones are completely superior to the black ... you know I'll just stop right there.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes ...

Ignore that.

EDIT:

Also, don't spend a ton of time on gear early on. As a caster gear really isn't that important: the leveling speed of (say) a level 20 shaman with 20k of gear is almost identical to that of a shaman with 1k of gear (source: my 60 shaman is still wearing multiple pieces of ringmail, and he had similarly crap armor in most slots leveling up). Gear mainly just gives you higher maximums, but maxes don't help leveling speed: HP/mana regeneration (eg. fungi tunic) does.

There are certain key class items (eg. JBB for a shaman, Goblin Ghazugi Ring for enchanter) that are the exception, but for everything else I recommend just wearing what you loot.

This is an example not an argument. a lvl 20 shm with a fungi will lvl a LOT faster than one without, and that goes for every level. Having more wis means more mana which means you can cast more spells before being oom as well. Gear does play a factor for basically all classes, with necros being the least affected.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is an example not an argument. a lvl 20 shm with a fungi will lvl a LOT faster than one without, and that goes for every level. Having more wis means more mana which means you can cast more spells before being oom as well. Gear does play a factor for basically all classes, with necros being the least affected.
I'd personally recommend rolling STAM as a shaman, over wis, I did, and I'm very happy with the outcome. Haven't hit the cap on stam or wis yet (230s stam, 200ish wis without bearform) And that's in 90% pre-velious gear (coldain gloves, lodi back). If I properly geared him in "high end" gear, He would be able to 255 both stam and wisdom.

Going OOM is bad, going dead is worse. Having more HP total can help you get that slow off before you die. (you could argue more mana could help with that, but not when you have a hasted mob beating you dead because your HP total sucks)

That said, I would say mage is the least gear dependent class. Leveled one to 46 on nothing but fire pet and malachite and gear off the ground.

A necromancer loses a large amount of their efficiency if they don't have enough HP total to fully utilize their LTOTs

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-

Quote:
Quote:
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Troll (up until level 60) are the correct choices.
This has no benefit over Iksar. Iksar is actually superior than Troll because of the AC bonus. So what if you can't wear GEBs. There's better gear out there.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This has no benefit over Iksar. Iksar is actually superior than Troll because of the AC bonus.
Trolls get a snare necklace (sure you can go get that VP snare spear...someday...maybe)

Iksar also can't use JBBracer or Jbbreastplate (which has an 18ac+3ds buff you can't obtain outside of [the slightly superior buff from] tunare belt)

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-

Quote:
Quote:
Last edited by Darkatar; 04-24-2017 at 11:38 PM..
Old 04-24-2017, 11:54 PM
Planar Protector

Snare neck is overrated and JBB only has a small window of usefulness. Don't let those affect your decision.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Snare neck is overrated and JBB only has a small window of usefulness. Don't let those affect your decision.
I agree JBBracer is shit, but the breastplate is a great clicky, and snare neck can save your life in tight quarters, or camps where you CAN NOT HAVE a runner, like crypt or fungi king. (or any area a runner would train you)

Why disregard minor perks completely for a small AC bonus (another minor perk) that is counterbalanced in part (or whole) by JBBreastplate?

As far as windows of usefulness, FSI is great your whole life, you won't give a shit about that racial regen with torpor.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-25-2017, 12:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
snare neck can save your life in tight quarters, or camps where you CAN NOT HAVE a runner, like crypt or fungi king. (or any area a runner would train you)
How is this any better than plain old root? If anything, the six second cast time makes it much worse.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:04 AM
Planar Protector

First off, I should note that I'm mainly talking about soloing here, since gear matters even less when you group (about 1/6th as much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
a lvl 20 shm with a fungi will lvl a LOT faster than one without,
I said "with 20k of gear", and a fungi is > 20k, but I also wrote:

Quote:
There are certain key class items (eg. JBB for a shaman, Goblin Ghazugi Ring for enchanter) that are the exception
I completely agree that for a Shaman a fungi is one of a handful of key items.

Quote:
Having more wis means more mana which means you can cast more spells before being oom as well. Gear does play a factor for basically all classes, with necros being the least affected.
Only flowing thought gear and nothing else will get mana back any faster. The one extra kill from more max mana is nothing compared to the thousands and thousands you'll kill (and need to regen back from afterwards). But to be fair, stat gear does help a small amount, which is why I said "almost identical".

But, you're missing something important: we're not talking about whether a level 60 should twink an alt, we're talking about a brand new player and whether they should spend time on leveling or earning plat/gear. You can waste time earning 10 plat/hour to buy gear that won't even noticeably affect your leveling speed, or you can earn levels without (purchased) gear and earn 100+ plat/hour when you're higher level. I got to 60 with crap gear and can now make 1k plat/hour; if you want to try selling millions of bone chips to finance a fungi and then level that toon, please report back.

In my opinion the smart thing is for new players to spend their time leveling, wearing what they find, while saving their pennies to buy the really important stuff. Maybe they should spend a little time earning plat when they get close to affording a key item.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-25-2017 at 12:15 AM..
Closed Thread