Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Solo fear kiting on a SK is like the worst type of leveling in EQ.
Clicking boots every 5 swings isn't faster than face tanking with a paladin and clicking helm/healing. Done this a couple times soloing a paladin/sk with fungi and the works.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:21 PM
Banned

I think what alot of people forget is that EverQuest is ultimately a place for people to enjoy their time and roleplay (yes everyone does this by mere fact of choosing a class and race combo, roleplaying isnt exculusively talking in tongues and drinking beers at a dwarf tavern), and that is the beauty of EverQuest classic that it enables people to choose a class they enjoy.

Paladin's arent for everyone and people seek to compare them to Shadowknights (and vice versa) as the old good v evil cliche. But both classes have completely different methodologies resultant in the same end concept (as a group tank). All the tank classes struggle to solo, as EverQuest tends to favor casters for soloing/farming.

The point of my videos are NOT to create a debate about whats the quickest and whats the slowest paths etc, or if SKs are better or worse. They are simply to show people that you can level solo as a Paladin albiet at a pace that might take awhile longer.

This is a 20 year old game we all enjoy playing; we have all played the best solo class at some point, and the ease of life classes. However for me, this journey is about soloing as much as I can a Paladin to 60 in various places.

I have a 51 epic shaman but when I log in I prefer to play my Paladin even though Shaman soloing is extremely easy because there is more fun and more of a challenge in leveling my Paladin.

Next stop: The Hole, going to ding 54 there (avoiding Golems of course)
Last edited by White_knight; 08-26-2018 at 10:25 PM..
Old 08-26-2018, 11:16 PM
Planar Protector

I'm guessing you're going to have more and more problems as you approach 60 due to low damage output. 22% haste + 225 offensive skill caps + 140 HIE strength probably puts you at 20-30 dps. That's not so terrible against a L37 zol knight with 1500 HP, but it looks a lot worse against a L45 dar knight with 6000, let alone a L50 krup with 10000 (remember, EQ is really a frog slaying game). The fungi and epic will also be relatively weaker. I'd guess your fights will be in the 8-10 minute range.

SK seems to have a huge advantage over Paladin solo even in low space: the pet will double their damage and they can FD if they get in trouble. I'd guess that the kill rate probably isn't massively better since they'll have to med/regen up, but at least you aren't sitting there watching the DW hat cast time tick down for 10 minutes.

If you enjoy this, then more power to you, but to me a Paladin belongs in a PAL/CLR/ENC/MNK group chain pulling 4 mobs at a time. The extra stuns, roots, and heals mean you can keep multiple mobs in camp at all times and charm a high level pet in relative safety. If I ever roll a Paladin I'd be filling my friend list with good Enchanters. Well, any class wants to group with good Enchanters, but they will actually want to group with you once they realize they never die to charm breaks.

Oh, and just for comparison, my Monk solos Sirens in SG pretty consistently, although I do have to FD occasionally, especially if they have the stupid drum and disarm is being obnoxious. I'd guess a similarly geared SK (41% haste, Primal, NTOV 2H, 1400 AC) could do about as well. SKs seem hugely underrated to me. We need to get proc hate capped here (classic) and root NTOV bosses so that Knights have some semblance of a raid role!
Last edited by Raev; 08-26-2018 at 11:26 PM..
Old 08-26-2018, 11:40 PM
Sarnak

I apologize, I didn't mean to start a sk vs pal debate. I was thinking you were doing the KC trash with a soul fire and no fungi lol. So I was pretty impressed. I am still impressed though and you are 100% right... you can solo as a paladin and it looks fun for the most part.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:48 PM
Banned

LGUK dar knights are a jump from zol's that's for sure, but dars were easier than the KC entrance mobs.

Zol's hp go from 2300hp to dars 3600hp but the real big jump is the damage rate dar's do. Right now I would say a dar knight takes about 5-6mins to kill including healing up etc.

I think for the most part a Paladin will be restricted to classic and Kunark zones for their xp gains.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:03 AM
Planar Protector

Soloing with the best xp grouping tank? That boy aint right.
(Its not SO bad with fungi but still its bad comared to an actual solo class)
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:55 AM
Banned

So I went and tested LGUK for Zol and Dar knights now that I dinged 53 and the results were better than expected. I would wager a +/-1min on each kill to adjust for level changes in the mobs and RNG.

Tale of the Tape: Self buffed, recorded from engage till back to 100% health ( i,e healing back up ) and ready to take the next mob, w/ 22% haste, epic, and fungi.

Zol Knight: 3min51 seconds length of recording
https://youtu.be/OuQzm5BU6L4

Dar Knight: 5min20 seconds length of recording
https://youtu.be/Jz0DAGdBQnU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderdale [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I apologize, I didn't mean to start a sk vs pal debate. I was thinking you were doing the KC trash with a soul fire and no fungi lol. So I was pretty impressed. I am still impressed though and you are 100% right... you can solo as a paladin and it looks fun for the most part.
No need to apologize you never said anything wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Soloing with the best xp grouping tank? That boy aint right.
(Its not SO bad with fungi but still its bad comared to an actual solo class)
it's surprisingly fun, well the 20-51 was these last few levels ( including the grouping I have done ) have been a bit tedious!
Old 08-27-2018, 06:51 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've returned to a project I started on blue99 awhile back in prep. training for Pantheon (for when it get's released, i.e slow casual xp grinds ). I've been soloing ( about 90%) a paladin from 1-60 on blue for awhile now when I have time to play. He's currently level 52.

I released a few video's last year and had some good feedback from people in game who watched them and sent me some tells with questions etc. I've leveled this character primarily thru spurts of solo play spanning 30mins to 2hrs.

I am working on stringing together a guide for Paladin's as they have a very bad rep in classic EQ (mostly from bad Paladin players who don't understand the methodology of a Paladin in EQ) and because their role isn't understood or people fixate too much on crunching numbers and slaying dragons in 0.5 seconds.

I'll be showing some of the best spots that I've found that work for Paladins leveling 1-52 solo and with minimal gear ( you can level 1-60 with literally a few 1,000 plat worth of gear). I was in Crustacean armor until about level 47/48 w/ no haste item and a Baton of Faith until Braknar's event last year where I managed to snag 2x items and sold them to fund my new armor set.

Keep an eye out for the guide and hopefully some people will enjoy it.

Enjoy a little sneak peak of the Lower Guk adventure:
https://youtu.be/9cNwWVXnx9Y
A paladin grouping guide would be more beneficial to paladins and the server/server player health in general. WoW is the game to go to for soloing everything and not needing to interact with people.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:32 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah I learned this the hard way when I played paly. Twinked him to the gills but he really started running out of steam in the 40s and 50s.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SOLO GUIDE FOR MAYLAY CHARAKTURZ ON PEE NINE NINE

STEP 1- HAVE FUNGI
STEP 2- BIG BOY SWORD
STEP 3- POST TO BOARDS
/thread
Closed Thread