Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Damage bonus isn't working here, but I could have sworn it worked on other emus, thus I was assuming it worked on P99. Damage bonus really needs to be a priority to get fixed here, because it's one of those classic mechanics that really made EQ different than other games, a somewhat hidden mechanic (before it was displayed on the item) that makes certain weapons better than they seem at first (moss covered twig, etc.)
It was working, I believe, for a while before they started the kunark beta and soon after was removed and dmg tables were changed. Bonus dmg wasn't until kunark anyway so this really is classic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 01-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Aviak

No, damage bonus was always in game.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Fire Giant

Damage bonus was always in game, they just never added it to the descriptions of the weapons until MUCH later.

Seriously, every time I see a fucking thread like this OH MYGOD THEY HAD 14 PEOPLE ITS OUR MOB LOL OURS OURS OURS YESSS I just want to fucking deathtouch the entire guild and despawn the mob.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgetrapper [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Damage bonus was always in game, they just never added it to the descriptions of the weapons until MUCH later.
< Corrected.

Why the recent nerf then?

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 01-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Fire Giant

It was more than likely an unwanted side effect of the kunark beta testing and the patches/changes were implemented by accident.

Seriously, every time I see a fucking thread like this OH MYGOD THEY HAD 14 PEOPLE ITS OUR MOB LOL OURS OURS OURS YESSS I just want to fucking deathtouch the entire guild and despawn the mob.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
< Corrected.

Why the recent nerf then?
Because people equate anecdotal evidence with real evidence lol
Old 01-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DMG bonus is not in game, or you wouldn't be seeing people hitting for 1's.

People hit 2x as hard because dmg is calculated by some formula ( dont ask im fuckawful at math) including wpn dmg wpn skill and attk, When a melee gets a str buff attk goes up max hit goes up BUT you can still land a min hit of 1. Hence no bonus.
When I say "damage bonus", I mean the extra damage added to a weapon's max damage beyond just twice the weapon damage, based on things like STR and level. The fact that this extra damage is added to any weapon, regardless of delay, means that given a low-delay weapon with some ratio and a higher-delay weapon with an equal or somewhat better ratio, you want the low-delay weapon. The fact that max damage is more than twice weapon damage indicates that this damage bonus IS in fact in-game, and telling people to just use the best ratio weapon is misguided.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I say "damage bonus", I mean the extra damage added to a weapon's max damage beyond just twice the weapon damage, based on things like STR and level. The fact that this extra damage is added to any weapon, regardless of delay, means that given a low-delay weapon with some ratio and a higher-delay weapon with an equal or somewhat better ratio, you want the low-delay weapon. The fact that max damage is more than twice weapon damage indicates that this damage bonus IS in fact in-game, and telling people to just use the best ratio weapon is misguided.
Using the formula: Average_Slash = (2 * Weapon_Base) + Bonus_Modifier + STR Modifier

You are referring to the STR Modifier. Others in this thread are referring to the Bonus_Modifier. The Bonus_Modifier is given to every main hand hit. It's a constant damage which depends on your level (however, only melee classes receive the Bonus_Modifier).

If you want to test the existence of the Bonus_Modifier, you need to look at the minimum hit. If the Bonus_Modifier is in game, main hand minimum hit will be measurably higher than the secondary hand minimum hit even when using weapons with identical listed damage. If the Bonus_Modifier is in the game, a L50 main hand minimum damage will never ever ever ever ever ever be lower than 9.

I should add the STR_Modifier portion of the above formula is misleading. It implies the STR bonus is applied to every hit, when it's not. Well, a consistent STR bonus isn't applied to every hit. There is no bonus for a min hit and full bonus for a max hit. Hits in between are given a partial bonus proportional to how close to min/max hit they lay.

You are correct in stating the STR bonus needs to be taken into account. It does. However, it's considerably harder to properly do so. Those that do run their own parses to see their average hit against a particular mob. It's likely the best weapon against a low AC mob is the faster, lower ratio weapon while the best weapon against a high AC mob is the slower, better ratio weapon (in a game with the damage bonus not being applied!).
Old 02-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

tl;dr: on P99 for the time being, you need to equip yourself with the best ratio weapons.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Banned

dual - adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or noting two.

duel - noun, verb
1. a prearranged combat between two persons, fought with deadly weapons according to an accepted code of procedure, especially to settle a private quarrel.
Closed Thread