Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Skeleton

So, i'm fairly ignorant about how DDoS attacks on servers work - but is there really no way to prevent them from happening? I assume if there is a method for prevention, it would cost more - is there an option for some sort of prevention method that the community could donate more to support? I know I'd be willing and most others would be too. How do the servers for, say, EQ live protect against DDoS attacks?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:57 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you were that company, and one of your clients who pays one subscription per month, is getting attacked, affecting the connectivity of DOZENS of servers.. what is the logical decision? To deal with it and potentially lose dozens of customers because they're servers are going down every day, or get rid of the single cause of the problem, the one server being attacked. One subscription lost is better than dozens of lost subscriptions.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Fire Giant

what does ddos stand for?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Skeleton

I see. And is that data on there just gone forever? (sorry this is all new to me)
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orichalcum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, i'm fairly ignorant about how DDoS attacks on servers work - but is there really no way to prevent them from happening? I assume if there is a method for prevention, it would cost more - is there an option for some sort of prevention method that the community could donate more to support? I know I'd be willing and most others would be too. How do the servers for, say, EQ live protect against DDoS attacks?
Extremely complicated and expensive realtime IP filtering services / software type stuff.
Aviak

Man i don't believe why someone would do this kinda shit.

How selfish do u have to be to take the fun of a whole community for ur own unjustified pleasure? Whoever's out there doing this shit is obviously the saddest most lonely piece of waste alive.

Why can't u just go hit a punchbag for a while and rid of ur sadness? honestly i even think we had a guild for those emo type.

Sucks to see the fun community be fucked over by one sad pile. get a life. go do something else productive, u obviously fail at online activities.
Decaying Skeleton

Is this *uckin DDOS also makes the login server screwed up?
Takes lots retry for me to login.
Somebody please kill that *sshole.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orichalcum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It all comes down to the data center's networking equipment, they can't handle an attack adequately enough.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Large Rat

Just a recap:

Ok, tell me if I got this straight.

1) Someone upset about activities that happened in-game has attacked the P'99 server.

2)The Hacker has repeatedly brought this server down multiple times throughout the day.

3) Under threat of continual and sustained attacks, the admins are bringing the server down permanently.

4)People are aware of the identity of the Hacker. I am unclear on why but I assume he/she made threats prior to the attacks.

5)There is no way to prevent the attacks, at least not permanently because the Hacker will just find another way to attack the server.

The world of the EMU server is a wacky, silly place.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:59 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by dck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is this *uckin DDOS also makes the login server screwed up?
Takes lots retry for me to login.
Somebody please kill that *sshole.
Same Data Center as EQEmulator.
Closed Thread