Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatterblast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seriously though, looking stuff up is studying. It's more than memorizing whatever for some test. It's about knowledge, understanding, and maybe even "wisdom" if you go that far into it.
thats true but you'll never fucking know why you see <iostream> or why you're using a double long instead of a float without someone to ask questions to in a class.

I definitely think that being around other programmers for at least 1 semester > reading/doing 10,000 books and tutorials.

programming, even if you can do it, can be a very inefficient way of doing everything if you dont know why youre doing anything.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmoranis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
thats true but you'll never fucking know why you see <iostream> or why you're using a double long instead of a float without someone to ask questions to in a class.

I definitely think that being around other programmers for at least 1 semester > reading/doing 10,000 books and tutorials.

programming, even if you can do it, can be a very inefficient way of doing everything if you dont know why youre doing anything.
I understand where you are coming from with this. I honestly think a lot more professions should involve apprenticeships. There is SO much to be learned simply from watching someone else's work flow. I've learned more in 10 minutes of watching someone work than I have from several books (other fields).
Old 02-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Banned

Yea.. I think its important to be in a situation where you can turn and say, hey why the fuck is this happening? to someone.. becuse when youre doing something like coding.. you could be doing it 110% correctly and still be like, "well shit I have no idea why that works.."
Old 02-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Sarnak

Plenty of jobs in web-dev, both freelance and salary. I'd recommend javascript as a starting point over Java/C#/C++ as it's easier to test/play around with, the fundamentals of object oriented programming will apply across the board, and the job market is enormous.

If you do follow that course, however, get into React or Angular right away (well, as soon as you understand the basics of the language). Learning more traditional web frameworks and then trying to apply that knowledge to the way React and Angular work is honestly more difficult than just starting with them from the get-go.

It's a great time for eager web developers. Massive shifts away from the more traditional app design standards as well as the adoption of ES6 (newish standard of javascript) have really changed the landscape. It's been a real equalizer between new grads and industry vets.

Web dev also has the advantage of being very 'flavor of the month'. You don't find many companies with weird esoteric requirements. For the most part, they're all looking for people with experience in the same 5-6 libraries as everyone else. Alot of other platforms can get very specific and you'll wind up getting a huge amount of experience in a C# library or reporting system that won't really apply to other positions. Just makes for an easier job-market.

If you're starting out, make the projects that you want to make. Just think of something that would be neat and see it through until it works the way you pictured. Push your changes to github often so that a potential employer can see that you're consistently working.

You don't need a CS degree for 90% of web dev positions, but you DO need to be prepared to show them why they shouldn't be concerned that you don't have one (relevant experience must be demonstrable, otherwise it isn't that relevant). Have a full github, have a knowledge of the types of questions you'll be asked in an interview, speak to developers to get an idea of what sort of things to focus on in the interview.

Gradner Goodtimes - 60 Bard
Old 02-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmoranis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea.. I think its important to be in a situation where you can turn and say, hey why the fuck is this happening? to someone.. becuse when youre doing something like coding.. you could be doing it 110% correctly and still be like, "well shit I have no idea why that works.."
Quote:
I'll agree that you are both right. Having input available helped a lot for my first Java 8 certification. In regards to Java, Enthuware and StackExchange assist with my WTF moments in that language.

My school recommended Lynda and uCertify as study aides, but I feel those sites only assist so far. Yep, human interaction does more.
Last edited by shatterblast; 02-09-2017 at 05:55 PM..
Old 02-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Decaying Skeleton

It seems I made a mistake in my above post, and I can't edit it now. I should have quoted maskedmelon instead of just mickmoranis.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatterblast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It seems I made a mistake in my above post, and I can't edit it now. I should have quoted maskedmelon instead of just mickmoranis.
No, I like that you quoted me twice, makes me feel smart/important.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

It will pay off if you aren't incompetent like the person you've described. And no, in IT degrees are not worthless, and they will still make you more marketable and more desirable to companies who don't require degrees.
Closed Thread