Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 07:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiouskitten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ask my smiling husband.
how is ol' ponce de Leonid Brezhnev?
Old 08-18-2020, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Locc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
how is ol' ponce de Leonid Brezhnev?
he likes his new wardrobe!
Old 08-18-2020, 08:52 PM
Fire Giant

One cannot serve God and mammon; one will cling to one and hate the other
Old 08-18-2020, 10:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnabusCollins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One cannot serve God and mammon; one will cling to one and hate the other
Question for the scholars - are Mammon and usury the same beast?
Old 08-19-2020, 02:03 AM
Planar Protector

Usury probably should be outlawed. I agree with Zodium on that!
Old 08-19-2020, 03:22 AM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Locc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Question for the scholars - are Mammon and usury the same beast?
im a sinner, not a scholar, but to my understanding, usury is loaning out money with interest, while "Mammon" is worship of money. not like, ppl getting down on their knees in front of a fat stack of benjamins. its ppl who talk about "compound interest" like its a divine wealth creating force, and not a human wealth extraction system based on usury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Usury probably should be outlawed. I agree with Zodium on that!
it was always illegal. we don't have the power to make usury "legal" in the first place. we've just built our society in open defiance of the law.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:27 AM
Planar Protector

Christians used to think you'd go to hell for being satisfied with your accomplishments and wearing nice clothes. Cenodoxus burned in eternal hellfire even though he was a kind and generous man because he was too successful and aware of it. Of course, kings and nobles could pay the Catholic church for their absolution to get around this, but there was still a several-hundred year period of Spanish nobles memeing around Europe dressed as homeless men to prove their humility in the eyes of God.

"He who is humbled shall be exalted" - Peter

I'm really not quite sure how modern Christians reconcile their lives with the actual reality of their religion. Most people aren't actually stupid so deep down they have to see the contradictions. I guess it took nearly a millennium of ideological creep as their religion was passed from culture to culture, each one adapting it and imprinting their values on it.

1,500 years ago I'd have totally jumped on the bandwagon and worshiped cynic-Jesus even if I knew deep down he was just a man, because the message was so good. But today's capitalist Jesus? yikes
Old 08-19-2020, 10:00 AM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-19-2020, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Christians used to think you'd go to hell for being satisfied with your accomplishments and wearing nice clothes. Cenodoxus burned in eternal hellfire even though he was a kind and generous man because he was too successful and aware of it. Of course, kings and nobles could pay the Catholic church for their absolution to get around this, but there was still a several-hundred year period of Spanish nobles memeing around Europe dressed as homeless men to prove their humility in the eyes of God.

"He who is humbled shall be exalted" - Peter

I'm really not quite sure how modern Christians reconcile their lives with the actual reality of their religion. Most people aren't actually stupid so deep down they have to see the contradictions. I guess it took nearly a millennium of ideological creep as their religion was passed from culture to culture, each one adapting it and imprinting their values on it.

1,500 years ago I'd have totally jumped on the bandwagon and worshiped cynic-Jesus even if I knew deep down he was just a man, because the message was so good. But today's capitalist Jesus? yikes
1500 years ago Justinian was dragging heretical priests from their churches and conquering North Africa in the name of Rome

The second Constantine converted, Christianity was fated to no longer be a religion of asceticism and monasticism. That doesn’t change the fact that if you don’t serve the United States and Jesus Christ that you will roast for eternity
Old 08-19-2020, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most people aren't actually stupid so deep down they have to see the contradictions.
the operant metrics are bloodthirstiness and stupidity. if they're lacking one they have the other in spades. At this point, the average American is okay with murder. Full stop.

I even investigated the hearts of every forum poster I could. Pokesan and Juris seem to be the only ones decent, and well, Pokesan is dead useless with like 30 level 60s and I am still teaching Juris you can't just liquidate people because they got to eat nice food most of their life.

edit: xaanka turned out good and azzar might be good too.
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 08-19-2020 at 03:51 PM..
Closed Thread