Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 10:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You will find real friends if you aren't too dumb.

The reason red is better is because you don't HAVE to wait in line, so those guys doing camps are more friendly. These days most camps are open, but still.

I would suggest a duo like a shaman and an SK ogre which are both good classes in their own right but make a decent duo.

Or whatever you feel like actually. If you play as a duo almost anything can work.
Even I have friends on red.

You don't know me and you shouldn't. But Even I do. I say this to totally back up gustoos assertion here.

Red is pretty special in them thars ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are like 30 different people playing on red, each has a bunch of toons. Over time, even though everyone is /anon, you just end up learning who is who, which ones are OOR to you, and what to expect from them. Like, if you're solo leveling a twink in, say, Mistmoore, and you see a known noob-hunter popping in, deleveled and equiped with VP / Velious gear and whatnot, you can safely go ahead and camp or zone, you will not kill him. There, you avoided PvP that you had no shot at winning.

Also wherever you are, as long as you always keep in mind your plan of action in case PvP happens next second, you're mostly OK.
My take: not opposed to your take: There's at least a 300 unique players and a 1/3rd ish of them play at any given time or have played in the past, its a pretty big and diverse community. More bluebies will come back once they break their pixel addictions and eventually that number will rise.

Especially if velious is red 1.0 and Kunark red.20 and pixels aren't the end game again.

It kinda blows my mind that there isn't a 6 man hit squad of streamers killing twinks in places like CB and unrest for the epic lulz and ad revenue with walmart gear.

U want to dominate red, just roll with a friendly enchanter, and 'cruit a sham, play a wiz or mage gg

not everyone has good gear, i have trash pre-planar classic gear on all my toons, i'm easy to kill, i just don't play 24/7 like the velious twinkies

you can still usually find a person leveling a bard pretty naked and just root them for some fun times
Last edited by magnetaress; 11-18-2020 at 10:48 AM..
Old 11-19-2020, 01:17 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Little bit late to this thread but here's my take. Background info: this is the opinion of someone who's been on Blue off and on for like 8 years and on Red for the past 6 weeks.

The PvP at lower levels is pretty minimal, with occasional exceptions when people get aggressive in areas like Unrest. I'm level 53 currently with moderate play, and I've engaged in PvP like 5 times, maybe a little bit more.

My enjoyment is enhanced by a group of us from Blue server starting here together, all at varying levels but keep in touch via discord and our guild chat. Hearing from them and my own experience, the PvP increases end-game, particularly in places like Kael, Plane of Mischief, Western Wastes, and Sebilis. It seems that even at end-game, PvP does not happen every session. I would describe is a fun dynamic that adds danger to a very much PvE oriented game.

The most populated guild is called <Sanctuary> and are generally ignored for PvP purposes. The OOC channel is global, which helps in group making.

The population is very small, finding a group or duo partner below lvl 50 and even after is pretty difficult. However this comes with a huge upside, in that people tend to get to know one another, communicate well and plan to group on subsequent days. My friends list grows much faster on Red compared to Blue.

The population and item downsides have been touched on pretty well I think. I'm enjoying it, to me it feels very PvE focused with the added dynamic and danger of PvP.

Yellow text shows up on everyone's screen when any character is killed in PvP across the whole server. So you get a pretty good idea of how often PvP happens, and during my sessions I see 1-2 hours go by without anyone dying to PvP. Often the whole server makes a couple comments in the OOC channel.

See you in game I hope!
Last edited by NuanImproved; 11-19-2020 at 01:21 AM..
Old 11-19-2020, 12:29 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah its fun to read these posts. I spend half my time on the forums asking for a new server, but if I was going to take the time to play right now, I would be playing on red 1.0 because its just where I would rather be.

It's kinda like people moving to LA because they want to feel like they are in the place things happen (project 199 green) but when in reality they would have much better fuller life if they were to live in the country or somewhere they can ride 4x4's and shoot guns out their living room.

Red 99 isn't full of a buncha cool rural people or anything but you get the idea. It depends how you want to play. Blue and green have every high value camp insanely saturated to the point that the game is nothing like classic everquest. I don't know if these guys have serious pixel rot or a thriving RMT community because it certainly doesn't seem FUN to do that.

Take your pick
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not like pvp is a thing. Red is just blue with less people. hope that helps
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-19-2020, 01:03 PM
Fire Giant

Blue player here. Switched to red, and haven't looked back once.. Love having open camps. I have met plenty of people who i keep busy with on adventures. Many folks have alts of multiple loves and willing to login and adventure.

The PVP aspect adds some pretty cool stuff to the normal everquest vibe. Not knowing who to trust until you know them or the server. Second guessing people porting or LFG in /ooc cause you think they might stab you in the back.. People duking it out over a camp. People paying other people for your location... Changing your spells up when you leave an empty zone cause you dont wanna get jumped..

As a blue player since 2016, i already got to 60 and finished an epic.. I don't want to do that again and again, Red helps breath some life back into the game for me. A new learning curve, faster exp, and much more adventures to be had with so many open camps.

As a casual player- For sure red is the answer. At least my answer.. If you looking to join sanctuary, just let me know and i can send an invite!
Old 11-19-2020, 01:14 PM
Planar Protector

Red still sucks , hope that helps. Can’t wait for strongnpretty to link the same pic again.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Red still sucks , hope that helps. Can’t wait for strongnpretty to link the same pic again.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

Blue, green, there are professional crews that rotate/list. Of course people can't "kill you ". But I find green players extremely hostile and selfish about mobs they feel entitled to. It's like the only way they can express themselves is to level efficiently or acrue loot so they lose it if you don't "grind hard enough " or get out of the way.

Red, is wide open and often people will help you or even let you move in and camp things as there's no need to farm 3000 thick banded belts to buy an epic.

Sometimes you'll die and have to play an alt somewhere else, but lower guk will become accessible again, usually in a few hrs.

There's plenty of talkative people on both servers and I find red players generally more interesting and quirky than blue players who become severely agitated and aggressive if you inconvenience them in any way.

Often on red we compliment each other for creative big plays or cleverness and sneakyness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by magnetaress; 11-19-2020 at 03:03 PM..
Old 11-19-2020, 03:16 PM
Planar Protector

I am glad you guys are having fun but that is so shitty for me to hear that on a pvp server you don’t engage in any pvp until 50ish. Really what makes pvp eq fun is that grind and the struggle from 0-50. Not nuthugging zone dancing top gear top buffed pvp.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

PVP is the main draw. With low pop it doesn't happen a lot.

Items on PVP server matter that don't matter in any other part of everquest. Resist gear in particular is important in ways that it is not except in special PVE situations on live. Clickable items in numerous varieties.

On blue server you can use whatever dumb ass gear you want and honestly the game is easy the mobs just die it doesn't matter. You never need to bother self buffing except special circumstances etc etc

On red server your character strategy matters. I roll around with 5+ empty buff slots and a full round of fresh cleric buffs all the way down the line 100% of play time. On blue I walk around like a slob with Doritos on my belly because it makes no difference.

Basically the only thing that matters on blue is cosmetic preferences for your character. On red every part of the game matters and is worth exploring. Its no joke that on live, pvp players were certainly superior players to bluebies. You just had to be. You had to know more about the game to be successful on pvp.
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread