Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 12-14-2022, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Black listed?

You’re hidden away soloing undead, /anon, unguilded and refusing to assist corpse runs - sounds like you’ve already ostracised yourself?
That's not accurate really. I leveled the Cleric in like 2020? Early 2021? I think? Because I remember the Capitol Riot things happening and arguing with someone in the EC Tunnel around that same time period. I found it kind of insane that I never got group invites as a Cleric, but at the same time, I didn't really hate it. I read about Clerics who had solo'd to high level, and kind of saw it as a challenge.

I remember doing the scarecrows in West Karana to 20. Once I hit 20, I went to Unrest and solo'd a lot of the stuff on the 1st and 2nd floor. Occasionally I would get groups while doing this.

Once I got high enough level, I think it was 25? When the lowest level halfling Guard stopped resisting my spells and this was back when Halfling Guards respawned every 6 minutes or so. I basically AFK farmed them until I could no longer stand it. I think I left at level 35? But I had made enough plat from selling their spears that I was able to buy some wisdom gear, and then went to Unrest and solo'd Hag Tower to 40 in like a single day. That experience was insane.

Then I began the mind numbing AFK farming of spectres in Feerrott. While doing this, I would frequently have people messaging me asking me to go down to Lower Guk and resurrect them, and I'm not the type of person who says no easily. I will help any player who is in distress. So I did end up going ANON to avoid that after a bit. I also think I got burned once because someone asked me to run to City of Mist for a group, and then logged off after I finally got out there. I think the same thing happened with Splitpaw in my mid 30s, but the memories are hazy.

This is why I picked Shaman as my class. Being a Necro is lonely, but Shamans can solo or heal, so I like having the option to do both. Like my Shaman was able to go South Karana and solo Treants, Gnolls, Aviaks etc. while occasionally finding Splitpaw groups in between. If I had been a Cleric, I wouldn't have been able to do much other than sit LFG for days, possibly weeks etc. so I just think Shaman is a better class who someone who wants to play with other people, but is also aware of the fact that they will often times have to play this game solo.

I also don't know how easy it would be to level a Cleric solo to 50 now that they nerfed Halfling guards. I mean if you are a total twink, it might not be a big deal, but I actually really needed the plat from those guards to get enough Wisdom to not go OOM trying to kill a single mob, lol. My Cleric is a Gnome so his wisdom is fairly low.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:03 PM
Banned

I also do plan on becoming a Gnome Cleric main again, once my Shaman gets level 60, and has Torpor, I'm hoping that I can twink the Gnome up really well to where solo'ing feels more like a novelty rather than a burden or curse. I just love the way Gnomes look, and the concept of a Plate-wearing caster class. Very rare dynamic IMHO.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

You definitely don't need halfling guards to solo as a cleric. At the earlier levels you can do Lake Rathe (undead gnolls) at night, and Rather Mountains (dry bone skeletons at the tower), and at 27 you can switch to Tower of Frozen Shadow in Velious.

That being said, it's unfortunate that you felt the need to solo as a cleric; when I did it, it was deliberately for the challenge of soloing a hard to solo class. If any class should be able to group to 60, it's cleric.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:19 PM
Banned

you forgot to link the wiki
(lol)
Old 12-14-2022, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you forgot to link the wiki
(lol)
Except ... it's in my signature [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You definitely don't need halfling guards to solo as a cleric. At the earlier levels you can do Lake Rathe (undead gnolls) at night, and Rather Mountains (dry bone skeletons at the tower), and at 27 you can switch to Tower of Frozen Shadow in Velious.

That being said, it's unfortunate that you felt the need to solo as a cleric; when I did it, it was deliberately for the challenge of soloing a hard to solo class. If any class should be able to group to 60, it's cleric.
The way I leveled the Cleric felt more like a huge time sink rather than a challenge. I remember mostly watching YouTube while medding up to get enough mana to nuke down a scarecrow in West Karana, and the Halfling Guards were very similar since I was only doing one at a time. Some of the Unrest stuff was kind of hard though, especially Hag Tower.

I had several stopwatches going at once because of that random dude who spawns in the hallway, if you weren't cognizant of him it could really mess you up, and then I had to make sure all the hags and PHs in the tower itself were split by several minutes apart so I would have enough mana to deal with them.

I learned pretty quickly that I could use Divine Aura to eat the Harm Touch when the Undead Knight spawned.

It's good to know that there is other places for Clerics, but I still felt like the Halfling Guards really elevated my character because I went from having no wisdom items to having 200 wisdom by the time I finished them. I feel like if I had done some of the other camps that I probably would have only made enough $$$ to buy my spells, lol.

I imagine a twinked Cleric could solo really well though, might even be fun. I know once my Cleric hit level 44 he could kill the Spectres in Feerrott really fast and efficiently.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:01 PM
Banned

Edit: I know I said I initially viewed it as a challenge, and I did, but once I got 40+ I realized that most people could actually solo a Cleric to high level relatively easy if they don't mind the fact that it may take them a much longer time than playing other classes.

I feel like leveling a Wizard may actually be harder because they probably don't have a massive advantage over Clerics due to having no pet or mana regen, and they don't have self heals or plate armor / buffs? Or obviously leveling a Rogue or Warrior etc. I feel like even a Twinked Rogue would have a hard time out-solo'ing an untwinked Cleric, lol.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

I leveled to 60 solo. Didn't care (or know) about guild reputations until I started raiding. I'm only semi-jaded now.

IMHO, I'd spend a bit more time out in the woods. You get out of the game what you put in.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:08 PM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I leveled to 60 solo. Didn't care (or know) about guild reputations until I started raiding. I'm only semi-jaded now.

IMHO, I'd spend a bit more time out in the woods. You get out of the game what you put in.
I'm a little angry at the world ATM because I rode the boat and ran all the way to CoM last night and eventually gated back to the old world to continue solo'ing guards after 2 days of not being able to find a group (by 2 days I mean a couple of hours of LFG last night before bed, and early this morning).
Old 12-14-2022, 02:10 PM
Banned

Also I forgot that Lull is a really powerful tool that Clerics have. Before Kunark came out on green, my Cleric could easily clear the Ghoul Supplier room by using IVU and Lull to split the room. I remember thinking my Shaman would have a much easier time doing the same camp once he hit level 50, and then I proceeded to wipe trying to break the camp because he didn't have Lull and got Ghoul rooted and beat to death LOL.