Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 10:17 PM
Aviak

OP, I very much understand your desire to have a warrior with a guise. My main goal at the release of the server was to have a Troll warrior with one, and thanks to my procrastinating I only managed it with about a week to spare. You have my condolences on this.

If I had missed my chance I think I would try to just focus on the opportunities I still had ahead of me. You still have the chance to experience classic EQ, as well as the Kunark and Velious launches. There's lots of fun to be had out there as well as additional removed items you'll have a chance at. Speaking for myself I'm gonna get an SK with a prenerf Circlet of Shadows and enjoy the hell out of it.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yacoby44 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but usually someone has something insightful and possibly impactful to say.
Yes, totally and allow me.

Your priorities are out of whack. Your bucket list is a dream warrior with a guise and now you're depressed where you feel like a total failure and you're posting in a public forum known for venomous snakes like me who run amok until some genteel soul with a very homoerotic avatar calls them a whore? And you feel it's worth it to read pages of triggering garbage in the hopes of finding some insightful advice? I mean yeah congratulations you made it in this case but c'mon.

I would suggest to you that maybe as someone that is susceptible to depression you're not fit to make very specific yet trivial goals. For important life events, yeah I mean you have to. But for things that aren't life and death, I think your goals should be more broad, like "I'm going to trio with my friends and we'll level together and have some fun." Because that's an easy win. But when you fail to get that one specific thing you fixate on, that can be bad for you and it doesn't even mean anything for real. It's just some trivial shit but if you make it your quest and you fail you might find yourself not strong enough to deal. Take Scarface for example. Now here is a guy with a simple plan. "You get the money, you get the power, then when you get the power then you get the woman." He's not hung up on a specific dollar amount, he's not like and she's gotta be a hot Asian chick with big breasts and a guise. No, he's keeping it simple. Why? Because he's got a complicated life and he doesn't need distractions on the road to success. Remember Scarface failed because he stopped following his simple formula for success and made things real complicated with the Colombians. You can learn a lot from Scarface, when I explain it.

Now having changed your life and set you straight (You're welcome!) I would point out to you that we have a specific section for narcissistic depressives who cry in pixels ("The Rants") and are then given encouragement by the wise ("The Flames").
Old 05-06-2020, 01:24 AM
Sarnak

Hey OP, I understand where you're coming from. I can't comment on your health issues, but I hope you're with us for a long time and are able to overcome whatever's ailing you.

While nobody outside of a GM can give you a Guise at this point, that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other goals to set for yourself. Depending on how much time you want to put into the game, you could achieve something even better than a Guise - your Warrior class epic. It's one of the harder ones to acquire, and far more rare than a Dark Elf clicky mask. Who doesn't want a lightsaber? And you get two of them!

But more than anything, the real highlight of this game has never been the pixels, but the people you play with along the way. I know it stings right now, but if we got everything we want in this game, we wouldn't appreciate anything we have. So chin up, make some friends, kill some orcs, and enjoy the time you've got with the people who make you smile.

P.S., don't let the forum chucklefucks get you down. They're miserable and just want company.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Literally the opposite advice. See what I mean?

I tell you one of the only sensible things on this thread. Take it easy, set more achievable goals, don't set yourself up for failure if you're already stressed and prone to depression.

The very next guy after me tells you oh yeah just go get the warrior epic "It's one of the harder ones to acquire." Far more rare than the Guise! I bet you'll feel real great when you follow that advice and bottleneck on the Red Dragon Scales. Chin up!

Now do you see why this is a bad idea? Because sensible advice like mine is boring. Set smaller goals he says. Oh just play for fun he says. But then you get a post about twin lightsabers and now you have them in your mind, you start thinking yeah that could be my replacement goal, I could do that. That's exciting! Right? I bet right this very second you're reading this and considering that yeah, I have a chance at the epic, I could make it happen.

If you have an option for therapy, take it. You'll get a guy who wants you to achieve your goals, not people throwing out the things they would do. If you don't have that option, listen only to me.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:17 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Literally the opposite advice. See what I mean?

I tell you one of the only sensible things on this thread. Take it easy, set more achievable goals, don't set yourself up for failure if you're already stressed and prone to depression.

The very next guy after me tells you oh yeah just go get the warrior epic "It's one of the harder ones to acquire." Far more rare than the Guise! I bet you'll feel real great when you follow that advice and bottleneck on the Red Dragon Scales. Chin up!

Now do you see why this is a bad idea? Because sensible advice like mine is boring. Set smaller goals he says. Oh just play for fun he says. But then you get a post about twin lightsabers and now you have them in your mind, you start thinking yeah that could be my replacement goal, I could do that. That's exciting! Right? I bet right this very second you're reading this and considering that yeah, I have a chance at the epic, I could make it happen.

If you have an option for therapy, take it. You'll get a guy who wants you to achieve your goals, not people throwing out the things they would do. If you don't have that option, listen only to me.
This is actually the correct advice.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:49 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, totally and allow me.

Your priorities are out of whack. Your bucket list is a dream warrior with a guise and now you're depressed where you feel like a total failure and you're posting in a public forum known for venomous snakes like me who run amok until some genteel soul with a very homoerotic avatar calls them a whore? And you feel it's worth it to read pages of triggering garbage in the hopes of finding some insightful advice? I mean yeah congratulations you made it in this case but c'mon.

I would suggest to you that maybe as someone that is susceptible to depression you're not fit to make very specific yet trivial goals. For important life events, yeah I mean you have to. But for things that aren't life and death, I think your goals should be more broad, like "I'm going to trio with my friends and we'll level together and have some fun." Because that's an easy win. But when you fail to get that one specific thing you fixate on, that can be bad for you and it doesn't even mean anything for real. It's just some trivial shit but if you make it your quest and you fail you might find yourself not strong enough to deal. Take Scarface for example. Now here is a guy with a simple plan. "You get the money, you get the power, then when you get the power then you get the woman." He's not hung up on a specific dollar amount, he's not like and she's gotta be a hot Asian chick with big breasts and a guise. No, he's keeping it simple. Why? Because he's got a complicated life and he doesn't need distractions on the road to success. Remember Scarface failed because he stopped following his simple formula for success and made things real complicated with the Colombians. You can learn a lot from Scarface, when I explain it.

Now having changed your life and set you straight (You're welcome!) I would point out to you that we have a specific section for narcissistic depressives who cry in pixels ("The Rants") and are then given encouragement by the wise ("The Flames").
I think you bring up a really good point. Why are the GMs/forum mods allowing this behavior on the forums outside the RnF board?

The answer is obvious, though. they don't care about your health, mental or physical. They promote game design that supports unhealthy and potentially deadly behavior (See chinese and koreans dying at video game cafes). You know what they could do? Just don't ever include these items in the game. There's a reason the original GMs took them out/nerfed them and it's because that's not the game they wanted. They make changes that GMs would have otherwise made if people were exploiting (red wood wand) in the name of classic intention, yet let these broken items exist that honestly were probably just bugs that slipped passed QA.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntfang [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you bring up a really good point. Why are the GMs/forum mods allowing this behavior on the forums outside the RnF board?

The answer is obvious, though. they don't care about your health, mental or physical. They promote game design that supports unhealthy and potentially deadly behavior (See chinese and koreans dying at video game cafes). You know what they could do? Just don't ever include these items in the game. There's a reason the original GMs took them out/nerfed them and it's because that's not the game they wanted. They make changes that GMs would have otherwise made if people were exploiting (red wood wand) in the name of classic intention, yet let these broken items exist that honestly were probably just bugs that slipped passed QA.
This is a bit drastic. It's not an indictment of the game design if people are potentially putting themselves in physical danger to play the game, it's an indictment of the people doing it. Encouraging somewhat of a healthy detachment from these things, which many people itt have been doing is a far saner and productive trajectory imo.

That being said I can totally sympathize with the op and obviously want them to be okay and get their head straight however they can if they're in a bad place.

The p99 devs precisely *do* care about players' mental health, that's the whole reason the list system was created. Allowing sealteam to cockblock the entire server until they stop dropping would be a lot worse for a lot of people's mental health. You might argue they only created it to decrease CSR tickets but how do you know?? I'm going to take them at their stated intention before I pretend to read their minds.
Last edited by douglas1999; 05-06-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Old 05-06-2020, 07:16 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a bit drastic. It's not an indictment of the game design if people are potentially putting themselves in physical danger to play the game, it's an indictment of the people doing it.
So I'm just curious what your opinion is....those kids that died in video game cafes...the owner/management of those cafes weren't responsible at all?
Old 05-06-2020, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yacoby44 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While reading all your replies and getting some insight into the server and their reasons for inaccurate date estimations, rather I agree with it or not, I realize they have a purpose and I am sure do not solely exist to crush the hopes and dreams of the niche group of people who still have a love affair with this 21 year old game.

Its pretty human when I feel stressed to reach out to strangers since I was raised on the internet. I know anytime you post anything publicly you are going to have some small percentage of memeing going on, but usually someone has something insightful and possibly impactful to say.

At this point, after discussion with friends and family, I have decided I still love the game and the possibility of me not ever having a mask on my warrior is one I will have to deal with. I cannot let a cosmetic item control whether or not I get to enjoy the game Brad McQuaid intended us to, even though that is easier said than done in my personal case.

My only hope going forward is that the powers that be possibly consider doing seasonal GM events where at least a handful of people can at least get excited about the possibility of being in the right place at the right time and getting blessed with an EQ treasure. I kind of equate it to that Dumb and Dumber scene when Lloyd was told his chances were one in a million, but instead of getting discouraged he said "So you're saying there's a chance?" Lol, you would be surprised how much the way you perceive things mentally can effect your ability to cope with certain circumstances.

If it has been a long time since there has been a GM event, maybe there are reasons. After all, this is a free to play server so for there to be more GM interaction, they have to have at least some sort of motivation to want to reward us without breaking the server rules.

In my opinion, there has to possibly be some way for the players to make it more appealing or worth the time of the admins to want to log in and interact with the player base and give away prizes.

I have to remind myself that I cannot 100% blame the incorrect wiki date estimations for me not having a mask. I didn't hear about Green because I didn't visit the forums or google Everquest for a very long time and I ended up getting super unlucky because of that.

Thanks for the kind messages guys. It helps more than you know.
This is exactly why you need to completely quit all online gaming and social media and go get a life
Old 05-06-2020, 07:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntfang [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I'm just curious what your opinion is....those kids that died in video game cafes...the owner/management of those cafes weren't responsible at all?
Bad analogy. It would be more analogous to compare the P99 Devs/staff to the devs/CSR of the game those kids are playing in the cafes. The P99 staff can't interact with these people physically, and it's not their business to police their physical well being. The people playing are adults and/or hopefully kids with their parents consent. There are way worse things people can do to themselves in the privacy of their own home than camp a manastone for 48 hours in a row.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Closed Thread