Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardalicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This I can agree with you on. I do not like team based PVP. Someone like Abacab wants team PVP strictly because he wants to force people to group with him due to the reputation he has amassed. How is that our fault or our problem?

Any class and/or race should be allowed to ally with anyone else in the game. EverQuest has guilds for a reason - if you want to ally, join a guild and stop acting like a bitch to everyone you play with. Implementing team PVP to force people to have to "deal with you" is not a solution to the problem. You need to start looking at yourself in that regard, cab. When it comes down to it, as Rushmore said, if a group of people don't like you, you'll be outcast anyways, whether or not they can PK you.
So what you're saying is my reputation proceeds me and I'll always be a target as long as I roll a character named "abacab" and that my only justification for teams is a hollow attempt at shielding myself from ganking by creating "non-PK" buffers around me.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Planar Protector

Honestly removing yt is just gonna diminish the fun of the server. People rage over yt, it makes the server funner imo. Dunno why people are all up in this thread terrified to get broadcasted.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by God-King Abacab [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So what you're saying is my reputation proceeds me and I'll always be a target as long as I roll a character named "abacab" and that my only justification for teams is a hollow attempt at shielding myself from ganking by creating "non-PK" buffers around me.
That's exactly what I'm saying. It was pretty fucking evident on Locked and Loaded, wasn't it? You solo'd past everyone else and rubbed it in their faces constantly, then subsequently rage quit when nobody wanted to group or PVP with you.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 AM
Planar Protector

As for an FFA server the subject is beat to death but honestly you'll probably have a higher population red box with team based pvp.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardalicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's exactly what I'm saying. It was pretty fucking evident on Locked and Loaded, wasn't it? You solo'd past everyone else and rubbed it in their faces constantly, then subsequently rage quit when nobody wanted to group or PVP with you.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly removing yt is just gonna diminish the fun of the server. People rage over yt, it makes the server funner imo. Dunno why people are all up in this thread terrified to get broadcasted.
How is removing yellow text, a feature that wasn't implemented in original PVP (at least for RZ, idk about the other shit servers), going to take away from PVPing? The logic in these threads is astounding. We don't want to implement xp loss, item or coin loot because it will make people rage, but we do want to implement yellow text because it will make people rage?

I stand by what I said. YT and leaderboard systems in general only encourage douchebaggery, as has been seen on pretty much every emu pvp box that had those systems in place. You take away the means to which someone can be vocal about their acts of douchebaggery, and they start to reconsider doing them. Someone that might waste time owning that naked level 12 ranger on his way to get his corpse, just for yellow text that contains no context of the fight or to boost their board position, would possibly reconsider being such a tool if those systems weren't in place to feed into their ego.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:55 AM
Banned

no fun allowed
Old 08-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Planar Protector

Coin loot is good.

Exp loss on PVP death - what's the goal of this feature?

My opinion is that unless there is solid rationale/logic behind adding a non-classic feature to the PvP system, it shouldn't be considered. I don't think exp loss is enough of a penalty to add incentive for an aggressive PvP player to go PvP more - I'm not going to go kill people so I can cause them 15% exp loss. I don't really care. It will punish the player I kill, yes, but with no real purpose or gain for me. I think it will encourage griefing, though.

I honestly think it is a bad idea. I can't see much good coming out of it, especially with a "classic" exp rate, and I would bet that players will complain pretty vocally about it until it is removed.

I would say that if you were to simultaneously allow for exp gain on PvP kills, then that might work - but this is far too easily exploited.

IMO, as far as rules/incentive go, don't break the classic formula or add any new shit. Sometimes simple is better, and I think most people would agree that fighting for zone/npc control (and to a lesser extent, bragging rights - yellow broadcast text) is all that is needed.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
How is removing yellow text, a feature that wasn't implemented in original PVP (at least for RZ, idk about the other shit servers), going to take away from PVPing? The logic in these threads is astounding. We don't want to implement xp loss, item or coin loot because it will make people rage, but we do want to implement yellow text because it will make people rage?

I stand by what I said. YT and leaderboard systems in general only encourage douchebaggery, as has been seen on pretty much every emu pvp box that had those systems in place. You take away the means to which someone can be vocal about their acts of douchebaggery, and they start to reconsider doing them. Someone that might waste time owning that naked level 12 ranger on his way to get his corpse, just for yellow text that contains no context of the fight or to boost their board position, would possibly reconsider being such a tool if those systems weren't in place to feed into their ego.
Bro I never once stated that removing yt is going to diminish pvp on red99, I said it diminishes the fun of it. Who gives a shit if people are all about it to boost there ego. Do you really think that if they don't put this in the same douchebags aren't going to find another way to get off by rubbing their internet glory in everyones faces?

And not having a leaderboard is just fucking stupid. It creates competition and makes the entire experience better. Everyone I see advocating for the removal of any type of competitive feature for red99 is basically terrified that whenever this server does go up they're going to have to back up all the shit they've been talking on here for how many months. I mean if your only argument for removing optional features that have zero impact on the gameplay of the server is because you don't want to deal with big bad internet meanies then my question to you is why do you even care about a red box in the first place? Theres going to be dickheads one way or another no matter what. Not having a leaderboard or yt isn't going to change peoples attitudes.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Planar Protector

YT is very important to enjoyable pvp.

it lets you know when and where action is going down. it lets you participate in what is going on, without even being there. and if you see someone getting bind camped, maybe you'll pop in to help him out? or if you see 2 guilds warring in fear, you'll quick put together a group or two with your guild and pop over to get in on the action.

to some ppl, having their name on the wrong side of the YT is far worse than exp loss and a little coin. but those same ppl are the ones who cherish getting it

I don't think YT generally encourages douchebaggery, but getting it IS a prize for killing somebody. And it is easy for level 60s to kill 53s.. so maybe make YT only appear if you're killing somebody within 3 levels of you is better. So a level 60 killing a level 57 would show up, but a level 60 killing a 55 would not. or maybe only have YT show up for the ppl who are 45+ or something.

i don't know, i always like to see the YT. im just trying to come up with a compromise for the ppl who are afraid of it

O! HOW ABOUT THIS:
if dont want ppl getting YTs on other guys going for their corpse run, then maybe rogean could flag it that way. Rogean said he was thinking of a system where someone would be unkillable during their corpse run. how about just "un-YT-able"? they could have a different color name which shows ppl they are on a corpse run, and even if they get killed, no yellow text would result. also, that way no YT would result from bind camping.
Closed Thread