Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclyte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a very common argument that really doesn't make sense to me. While not in your personal control, your parents on the other hand were in complete control. Their decision to further their family and race in creating you was definitely not random. They are a part of you, as is their parents and so forth.

Is it also stupid to be proud of, say, the lunar landing? You had no hand in it, but it is definitely a part of you. What emotion should people feel?
Being proud of the lunar landing is more centered toward being proud that the human race has been there. At least my thoughts on it.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Race is an unscientific and almost entirely arbitrary categorization. The language we use to discuss race is based primarily on the work of Johann Friedrich Blumenbach in the 18th century. His beliefs were basically opposite what we now know about human evolution and the differences between genotype and phenotype. We are all much more alike than we are different.

If you are fortunate enough to have come from a good family and your parents stayed together and raised you well as a team, the emotion you should feel is called gratitude. The emotion you feel about incredible accomplishments like the lunar landing is called wonder.

Here is a definition of pride: a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired. Feeling pride in things which one had no direct contribution toward strikes me as involving megalomania and magical thinking. The American dream used to be working hard, contributing, and building a nice life. Now being a rentier and living off the work of others seems to be the dominant goal.

You really, really didn't build that.

Being proud of other peoples achievements is like an mental disorder.
I mean feeling proud of the lunar landing in your underwear from your mothers basement. That can't be good right?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being proud of the lunar landing is more centered toward being proud that the human race has been there. At least my thoughts on it.
the human race didn't get there, the white race did. I didn't see any africans or sand people building space ships to play on the moon.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Differences in background should be accepted, variety is the spice of life. Trying to assimilate everyone into one line of thinking and actions is asinine to say the least.

At the same time as Lexical pointed out, Pride is simply a character flaw that the majority of people suffer from, it's the root of arrogance, scorn, and apathy. Nothing good comes from any sort of 'pride'.

That being said, taking satisfaction in accomplishments and things you or your family or 'race' have done in the past can be misconstrued as pride and lead to the above symptoms.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclyte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a very common argument that really doesn't make sense to me. While not in your personal control, your parents on the other hand were in complete control. Their decision to further their family and race in creating you was definitely not random. They are a part of you, as is their parents and so forth.

Is it also stupid to be proud of, say, the lunar landing? You had no hand in it, but it is definitely a part of you. What emotion should people feel?
Am i proud of the lunar landing on a personal level? No, because its not something i accomplished myself. I don't understand being proud of something that you didn't have something to do with personally. I think it was a major milestone in human history, but i didn't contribute anything to it personally. I don't atone for the mistakes of my ancestors either.
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Old 10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
aren't you black irl?
What difference would that make?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just get a kick out of pointing it out because it's hilarious. You're definitely the most self-hating black man ever seen since that skit from Chapelle's Show.
I hate black people?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Fire Giant

Look, the only real question is whether or not your pride will allow you to bow to your future Chinese overlords, or whether you'll be taken out back and shot.

There's no denying Western thought is largely responsible for the world as it is today, but the Han Chinese will be taking over the reigns very soon. This is the era of "whitey's sunset"
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Your sarcasm will not make you any less of a textbook self-hating black man, nor make it any less funny.
oh, okay.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look, the only real question is whether or not your pride will allow you to bow to your future Chinese overlords, or whether you'll be taken out back and shot.

There's no denying Western thought is largely responsible for the world as it is today, but the Han Chinese will be taking over the reigns very soon. This is the era of "whitey's sunset"
China is a joke and that isn't going to change in our lifetimes, or likely in our children's lifetimes.
Closed Thread