Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Put an end to account buying and selling?
Yes 273 70.18%
No 116 29.82%
Voters: 389. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why do so many people care so much about what other people do for fun? Just because you dont want to buy/sell accounts (or PL or twink or buy epic MQs or whatever) is a piss poor reason to disallow others from doing it. And I wont even get into the "its classic" stuff since recreating the "classic experience" is not the same as making an exact clone of live and the players and the world as it existed in 99-01.
My way is the only way to have fun. I care because you're having fun the wrong way.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is a simple solution to all the problems relating to account trading. Allow it but never investigate scammers. This is how it was on live and this is really why no one traded accounts in the end.

Could you imagine trying to sell your account in classic and getting scammed then making a post on the SOE forums requesting that Sony investigate and ban whoever did it?

The fact that account trades are not only allowed but also investigated when people get scammed shows that there is ZEROCHANCE of stopping account trading here because it is supported by the people who run the server.

Thread over.
I disagree. You'll still have entrepreneurs with good reputations willing market their trustworthy business for a percentage commission of character sales. (see also: Bob from EC Tunnel circa 2011).
Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree. You'll still have entrepreneurs with good reputations willing market their trustworthy business for a percentage commission of character sales. (see also: Bob from EC Tunnel circa 2011).
Yes, but just recently someone with a good reputation scammed someone of something like 1.5 million platinum and the GMs stepped in and banned them.

Account trading is 100% supported by the server staff here. Its treated as if you had an actual trade window where you put an account and got platinum.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, but just recently someone with a good reputation scammed someone of something like 1.5 million platinum and the GMs stepped in and banned them.

Account trading is 100% supported by the server staff here. Its treated as if you had an actual trade window where you put an account and got platinum.
This stance has changed since I was active than.

When I was brokering the Gm stance was complete non involvement. If you put plat in a trade window with nothing on the other side and hit trade, then that is your issue. The risk was 100% on the players. I got scammed out of an account myself during this time period and was told tough luck.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
But this doesn't mean that everyone with a good reputation is going to scam a buyer/seller just because they can. This will only serve to create a market for those with superb reps to buy/sell accounts. If the goal is to eliminate account sales, this solution is not the best.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Planar Protector

It's absolutely asinine for people to come in here and say things like, "Why do you care about account selling? It doesn't change the way you play the game. Let people have fun and play the game the way they want."

This is simply not the case. The rampant buying and selling of accounts has major implications at all levels of the game, from casual to hardcore, 1-60.

1) It eliminates the importance of reputation, since a banned player can simply buy a new account
2) Encourages cheating, for the same reason
3) Turns the raid scene into a farce that is largely based on accumulating accounts and camping them out at raid targets
4) Artificially de-populates the lower levels of the game since fewer people level alts, which hurts new players
5) Contributes to the top-heavy nature of the server since accounts don't necessarily leave when players do
6) Is a major conduit for RMT, and is much more difficult to detect since suspicious in-game transfers don't need to take place
7) Artificially increases the demand and market price of mid to high-end gear, since it is being constantly bought and sold to outfit stripped chars people purchased
8) Eliminates feelings of community since character/player identities are so transient and ultimately meaningless

Imagine P1999 as being a nice public park that people can come enjoy, hang out, have picnics, fly kites, throw footballs, etc... generally do whatever they want.

People defending account sales would be like if a bunch of rednecks drove into the park in 4x4s and started doing donuts in the grass and running over bushes and generally making a wreck of the place, and told everyone else to fuck off because, "I'm enjoying the park the way I want to!"
Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 AM
Fire Giant

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's absolutely asinine for people to come in here and say things like, "Why do you care about account selling? It doesn't change the way you play the game. Let people have fun and play the game the way they want."

This is simply not the case. The rampant buying and selling of accounts has major implications at all levels of the game, from casual to hardcore, 1-60.

1) It eliminates the importance of reputation, since a banned player can simply buy a new account
2) Encourages cheating, for the same reason
3) Turns the raid scene into a farce that is largely based on accumulating accounts and camping them out at raid targets
4) Artificially de-populates the lower levels of the game since fewer people level alts, which hurts new players
5) Contributes to the top-heavy nature of the server since accounts don't necessarily leave when players do
6) Is a major conduit for RMT, and is much more difficult to detect since suspicious in-game transfers don't need to take place
7) Artificially increases the demand and market price of mid to high-end gear, since it is being constantly bought and sold to outfit stripped chars people purchased
8) Eliminates feelings of community since character/player identities are so transient and ultimately meaningless

Imagine P1999 as being a nice public park that people can come enjoy, hang out, have picnics, fly kites, throw footballs, etc... generally do whatever they want.

People defending account sales would be like if a bunch of rednecks drove into the park in 4x4s and started doing donuts in the grass and running over bushes and generally making a wreck of the place, and told everyone else to fuck off because, "I'm enjoying the park the way I want to!"
Winner of Faerie's "Post of the Week" award! I know it's only monday, but this is not going to be bested.

Very well organized; expresses what should be common sense in a concise and clear way. Uncultured redneck analogy spot on and funny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

A+
Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Planar Protector

Rampant account selling is the root of most evils on P99.

What stopped everyone from being a dick in game on Live? The fact that it took you forever to level your character and you couldn't just re-roll on a whim or buy/sell a new character.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:18 AM
Orc

Account selling only really affects the 1%ers. When the 1%ers roll alts they are power leveled in high ZEM and populated zones like Unrest saying "f off" to everybody else. In fact, I'd say that account selling keeps these people out of lower level zones, leaving more mobs for newbies to kill.

On P1999 people will do ANYTHING to get an edge on the raid scene. Try to stop account selling and it'll move elsewhere under the radar. Epic MQing? Won't stop until the top guilds have a full raid camped out at every raid target.

Just give up. Unless you're sucking the dick of the leaders of a top guild you'll never see top gear and perhaps not your epic.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulzol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Account selling only really affects the 1%ers. When the 1%ers roll alts they are power leveled in high ZEM and populated zones like Unrest saying "f off" to everybody else. In fact, I'd say that account selling keeps these people out of lower level zones, leaving more mobs for newbies to kill.

On P1999 people will do ANYTHING to get an edge on the raid scene. Try to stop account selling and it'll move elsewhere under the radar. Epic MQing? Won't stop until the top guilds have a full raid camped out at every raid target.

Just give up. Unless you're sucking the dick of the leaders of a top guild you'll never see top gear and perhaps not your epic.
What he said. Just play the game and have fun. He is right. Get in TMO and live on the damn server 24/7 or just STFU about crying about the raid scene.
Closed Thread