Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought you were about to pitch a fiber supplement.
Lol
Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by August [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, it doesn't match exactly, and the reality of the situation is I don't believe we know exactly how the EXP formula is computed here.

What we do know is that experience required is on the scale of a 3rd degree polynomial, and experience earned is on the scale of a 2nd degree polynomial.

We know there are well-defined classes/penalties.

We know that there are modifiers that apply linearly to experience requird to leveled - these are in theory numbers like '1.6' and '2.1'. I don't know if we have confirmation with what they are specifically for this server, but if we did know that we could pinpoint the problem.

The major point I'm trying to make is that experience is not guaranteed to move you in exact percentages when you level. People think this because it is true for 1-30 and to a large extent 1-50 assuming your group is within the same experience mod group (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4).

If you two characters are equal in 'total experience earned' they absolutely will earn the exact same AMOUNT of experience

However, the amount of experience required to level may vary wildly based on what experience mod they reside in, and so it may appear that one is leveling much faster than the other.
There's obviously something going wrong with the calculation. Yeah, your "alternate" set of mods matches their leveling situation much better, but your jumps from 54 to 55 to 56 etc are all the same at 0.2 . I don't think this matches the reality.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Banned

this usually fixes my problems and gets everything, regulated.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's obviously something going wrong with the calculation. Yeah, your "alternate" set of mods matches their leveling situation much better, but your jumps from 54 to 55 to 56 etc are all the same at 0.2 . I don't think this matches the reality.
Yeah my point is that we know that exp required scales on a 3rd degree polynomial x=level. What are the actual coefficients? I don't know. It's conjecture. All that we know is the points at which they change. It could be the scale on the wiki, it could be the alternate set I posted (which I grabbed from another classic EQ site) or it could be something completely unique to P99.

Point still stands that just because your total exp earned is equal, you shouldn't expect to level at the same percentage of level per kill in the 50s. You will get the same amount of exp per kill, yes, but the amount of exp required to level will be different depending on those coefficients.
Scientist - 37 ROG
Old 08-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Planar Protector

Edit
Old 08-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by August [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Point still stands that just because your total exp earned is equal, you shouldn't expect to level at the same percentage of level per kill in the 50s. You will get the same amount of exp per kill, yes, but the amount of exp required to level will be different depending on those coefficients.
I don't think I've seen anyone in the thread claiming otherwise, so I'm not sure who you've been trying to convince lol. The original poster even explicitly stated that because they should be getting around the same xp per kill AND should be taking about the same xp to level that they should then be leveling at the same rate.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think I've seen anyone in the thread claiming otherwise, so I'm not sure who you've been trying to convince lol. The original poster even explicitly stated that because they should be getting around the same xp per kill AND should be taking about the same xp to level that they should then be leveling at the same rate.
Yes, using data that we have no idea if it's correct. If you alter the coefficients (in my earlier examples) you see that exp required to level is vastly different and easily explains the discrepancy.

If you start with a false assumption, anything can be true.
Scientist - 37 ROG
Closed Thread