Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's amusing because I logged into EQ Live (Silver Restrictions) last night for the first time in a long time. Logged onto Vox, their newest server. The low level population in the Tutorial Mines zone was pretty high.

But man, it's a totally different EQ. It's extremely complicated, you get spells every level (including the shadowknight I rolled, which was quite odd), zones are extremely crowded due to mercs and players running around and the community doesn't even speak to each other.

I mean, don't get me wrong... In a pinch with no p99 it could be alright. But it's a different game. I wouldn't say it's even EQ anymore. It's more WoW with EQ baselines. Plus, as a silver (which is no longer offered) I can't wear certain types of armor... so playing a tank is extremely unrealistic.

p99 IS EQ.
Yep, the soul got ripped out of it for sure.

Some popular YouTubers tried it last year... If you can get past the "funnies", you'll see what it's become :/

**WARNING: contains Luclin models**
Old 05-26-2015, 08:11 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ive read a lot of posts on the daybreak boards from players making comments like "my friends wont play p99" or "my friends refuse to play on p99" or "fuck p99 id never play on that server"

and my question is, why not? what is the reason behind their adamant resentment of P99? i get it if they wanna box or run mq2, but if they want classic everquest, and since we do classic better than anyone else on the internet, why wouldnt they want to play on p99?

<3
Sirks
The reason is probably because P99 does not have most of the nuance that Modern MMOs have today. Seeing dot timers/better camera control/guild options/target rings/ect...
Old 05-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Kobold

A number of common themes:
- Titanium Client
- Old school mechanics
- Missing specific expansions

If Daybreak made a payable download I'd purchase in a heartbeat to show that there is a demand for legit copies. I eventually found ISO formats without using the Bay, but it took a while to find, and the Daemon Tools recommendation fails to take into account demo only allows for 4 virtual drives.

The biggest challenge is that there is a big demand for casual. CRs, exp losses, and the like are considered hardcore and the majority of the playerbase do not want this, or player interdependence. Essentially single player with chat is what it is all about.

Spread the word to old EQ players and people with a similar mindset. No point reaching out to those to whom the EQ mechanics are anathema.
Riotgirl - formerly High Elf Enchanter | Ayonae Ro
Old 05-26-2015, 08:31 AM
Planar Protector

Sirken, don't worry about people being vehemently against P99. There's a reason that live got so easy and ridiculous; it's because they were desperately chasing the crowd. Any given crowd is mostly composed of people who just want a quick diversion. I like the fact that so many people won't come play...we have a good pop now anyways. The people who *do* come think EQ is srs bsns and they...well not enjoy I guess...but understand what the mechanics like no boxing and cr's and so forth actually produce.

I do think you guys should take it into PoP. PoP was the pinnacle of EQ. After you release Velious, announce that you've rethought the PoP limitation and will be progressing towards that, and you'll see a huge bump. Just my two cents. Even if it was on a new server of it's own. Starting afresh with a correctly done PoP server, no boxing? Priceless.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 AM
Sarnak

I, too, think that further expansions are a great idea. Maybe not some of the mechanics (AA's, Soul binder, Mercs) but the content, classes (Beastlord), races (Froglok, Vah'Shir) and added levels would be nice. At least through PoP.

Having said that, though, I appreciate the server and the decisions that have been made to run the server. So I'm not going to complain either way.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

Most of the complaints or anti p99 sentiment I see revolves around the rules here or the community....sry guys. I have yet to see someone seriously say "oh I would love to play classic eq but I just can't play without maps." C'mon guys, your "friends" tell you that stuff because they just didn't want to say the truth about what they think about you still playing eq. Titanium availability also does scare some people as well.

But let's face it, the community on blue is weird. I tried to get back in recently, all I found were dead eyed zoned out groupies who barely said a word, plenty of generous and friendly lvl60s running around tho. Just weird over there now and I doubt I'll ever regularly play blue again.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Aviak

Hi all. New player to the server here, and I figure I'll share my opinions and experiences so far.

Its interesting because I WAS going to be a TLP player, but long story short, I got over the client and sketchy hurdles and figured I would try out P99 while waiting and never looked back... I'm only level 27, but it only took one play session to realize exactly what the OP claims. This server is doing it better. I didn't even bother registering to play Ragefire at all.

What I like about P99 so far is, while their may be some cheating going on, this server is moderated and curated in such a way that its superior to pretty much any other paid for service out there! I love the no botting, no RMT'ing rules. I love the fact that these rules are also being aggressively enforced.

I also like how entrenched the community is, and their seems to be the sense that people put fair play first most of the time. I like knowing theirs some governing rules at the top end for raids, even if they don't always work its better than pure chaos.

What I don't like so far, is obvious... The server is crowded! At peek times, everything is camped. If its worth money, or xp, consider it locked up.

I'm only level 27 right now though, and I'm okay with the idea that on this server, how you "get jboots" and things like that, is you find a way to put together the kind of plat to buy it. I'll have to get creative.

I also am a little bummed that unlike the TLP, theirs no way to get out in front of the economy. Its nice farming up on a fresh server. On this server, I'm playing from WAYYYY behind.

I'm happy about stopping in velious. I didn't dig on Luclin that much, and PoP for the most part ruined the game for me, but did have some cool to it. The idea that we might see custom content someday is mildly attractive to me (probably ripped out of those two expansions), but the velious cap for now is perfect.

Thanks all.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Aviak

I have a friend who is super open minded about games. We are near the same age, but he never had the opportunity to play EQ back in 1999 / 2000. After talking to him about how great old EQ was I asked him if he wanted to sit with me one afternoon and watch me play, to see what he thought of it. He agreed.

We had a great time. He was in awe of the size of the world (made larger with scant few modes of fast travel). The pacing of exp really caught him by surprise also (wait, so getting 30% of one level in the 40s is good? There are some levels worse than this???) He also marveled at the idea of camps, that people could come together for a common goal to kill monsters for loot... And generally HAD to. Playing an SK I was able to show him I "could" solo.. Albeit poorly. After explaining thay some classes could solo better then others he asked "then why doesn't everyone play those??? Lol"

Even after this experience I couldn't get him to play. Classic EQ was a masterpiece in history. It's wonderful it's is being faithfully recreated here. But just as there is an art to, say, churn butter by hand, it's simply not for everyone. Times have changed. We have Diablo and Destiny instant gratification MMOs experiences which have cheapened online gaming. the destination had become now important than the journey now.

The problem, IMO, has less to do with what P99 can do to get people to play... I feel they can do no more really. The two issue with getting people to play is the changing MMO genre.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

It is hard to feel immersed with your rusty short sword when the next guy has full class armor or a rogue epic at level 1.

If you want that "fresh" feel, the closest thing to it is on the red server. Red isn't drowning in excess items that you can buy for 50pp in the tunnel.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ive read a lot of posts on the daybreak boards from players making comments like "my friends wont play p99" or "my friends refuse to play on p99" or "fuck p99 id never play on that server"

and my question is, why not? what is the reason behind their adamant resentment of P99? i get it if they wanna box or run mq2, but if they want classic everquest, and since we do classic better than anyone else on the internet, why wouldnt they want to play on p99?

<3
Sirks
Its mostly because of manchildren and welfare pixels. i dont think boxing is the issue.
Closed Thread