Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be starting up a new main character on blue, and I was considering a number of different classes, but I keep coming back to the idea of cranking the nostalgia factor up to 11 and creating a Ranger, as that was the first character I ever created when I started up EQ for the first time.

That being said, every guide I've found on the wiki essentially warns against making a Ranger, as they're not very desirable in groups, and in fact don't really have much ability to solo either. I'm just wondering if there is truth in this, or if this may have changed slightly since Velious was released? Are Rangers still a dead end choice for a main character, or are they just misunderstood? I don't mind if I'm not the number 1 pick for groups, but I'd rather not also be a loner for my entire leveling experience either. Any Rangers out there able to give me their two copper on this?

Thanks in advance!
rangers are awesome. my main when i started was a ranger and still is, i lvled him up, got both my epics and full planar and sky gear, then delvled him and started back over in crushbone. i will admit it can be harder to find groups. but rangers are just awesome. i think its one of those classes where u gotta love them to play them.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:30 PM
Planar Protector

Ranger is a calling, only rangers play rangers
Old 08-22-2015, 11:09 PM
Planar Protector

What Azeth said is so true. But the game mechanics will punish you, just how it is. Unlike bards, rangers are not ez mode eq.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:13 PM
Planar Protector

That's a bit strong, nobody said bards were easy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-22-2015, 11:47 PM
Planar Protector

All my best friends back on live were rangers. They're awesome!

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 08-23-2015, 06:19 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's a bit strong, nobody said bards were easy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know about how easy or hard they are, but they can be the most annoying people in the newbie yard.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What Azeth said is so true. But the game mechanics will punish you, just how it is. Unlike bards, rangers are not ez mode eq.
a well played bard is not ez mode. Same goes for a ranger. I giggled at the comment by someone saying they dont have the same utility as most classes. Someone that takes the time and learns how to play a ranger will be rewarded in the end with the ability to do things and be useful that others that just mash buttons would not.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:18 AM
Banned

BTW, disregard anyone who implies paladin is a bad class -- that is a very ignorant opinion...they're arguably the best tank in the game for groups.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
BTW, disregard anyone who implies paladin is a bad class -- that is a very ignorant opinion...they're arguably the best tank in the game for groups.
He speaks the truth! Paladins are fantastic. Having a well played paladin and ranger in the same group is simply AMAZING ^^
Old 08-24-2015, 01:55 PM
Fire Giant

I pulled, CCed, and tanked on my un-twink ranger until 45 when I stopped playing on Blue. Even tanked HS north at 45 with a 48 shaman healer.

Rangers are good.
Closed Thread