Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You guys are hilarious.

This post stems from a different thread and OP just felt like it warranted its own thread, and made the mistake of using a clickbait title that got you guys hackles up right off the bat.

I take it for granted that loramin is a committed p99 guy considering countless hours tuning up the wiki to the benefit of everyone here.
OT is a deathworld.

Don't post here unless you're Xixchil.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:59 PM
Banned

Also for cheaters, the source is invaluable. Bad idea if these servers want to keep any semblance of human PCs without complete automation of the client's.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:02 PM
Planar Protector

These kinds of licenses are only really relevant when you are trying to SELL the code you have modified and redistributed for real money. Since P99 is free, RMT is banned, and donations are supposedly only going to maintaining the servers, there really isn't any legal action to be done here.

If on the other hand P99 suddenly became subscription based (let's say with Daybreak's blessing to remove that complication), then the EQEMU guys may ask for the license to be enforced under penalty of legal action.

As far as I am aware there are no EQEMU servers operating with a fee, so the developers of EQEMU don't really care about what people are doing with it.

And remember the EQEMU and all related servers are operating in a grey area anyway, since they do not have any rights to be using the Everquest IP, it's code, etc. The only reason why the entire EQEMU hasn't been shut down is because the owners of the Everquest IP haven't cared enough to go after them.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We'll see. I note you haven't posted this same objection on TAKP's site even though it doesn't publish its changes either (it says it will "some day," but that's not good enough for compliance) so you're taking aim at P99 specifically for some reason. What motivated you to "turn heel?" We've seen motivated community members do that before, usually due to feeling slighted in some way or another. Reminds me of people practically spamming Sony/Daybreak about P99's existence prior to the 2015 agreement. Feel free to fill me in via PM if you don't care for some of the usual jokers around here sticking their noses in.

Danth
Honestly, I just learned of P99's violation recently, and then Takp just now when you told me. But the same principle applies equally to both.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, I just learned of P99's violation recently, and then Takp just now when you told me. But the same principle applies equally to both.
I was under the impression p99 and Takp did share some of that stuff with each other. Maybe I'm wrong, but if they are then that seems to be in the spirit of your law Loramin.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah thinking about it a bit more, the licensing for EQEMU is basically moot, because I doubt they would ever want to take legal action against someone. This is because they would be profiting off of the Everquest IP basically. At that point whomever owns the Everquest IP would probably end up going after EQEMU in turn for illegally making money off of the Everquest IP.

Moral of the story is, don't worry about the legality of something like P99, because EQEMU is basically illegal to begin with lol. We are just lucky that the Everquest IP owners do not mind EQEMU existing.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-10-2021, 07:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah thinking about it a bit more, the licensing for EQEMU is basically moot, because I doubt they would ever want to take legal action against someone. This is because they would be profiting off of the Everquest IP basically. At that point whomever owns the Everquest IP would probably end up going after EQEMU in turn for illegally making money off of the Everquest IP.

Moral of the story is, don't worry about the legality of something like P99, because EQEMU is basically illegal to begin with lol. We are just lucky that the Everquest IP owners do not mind EQEMU existing.
It's not about profiting, it's about code-sharing. The GPL says nothing about "if you don't make money you can ignore it".

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We'll see. I note you haven't posted this same objection on TAKP's site even though it doesn't publish its changes either (it says it will "some day," but that's not good enough for compliance) so you're taking aim at P99 specifically for some reason. What motivated you to "turn heel?" We've seen motivated community members do that before, usually due to feeling slighted in some way or another. Reminds me of people practically spamming Sony/Daybreak about P99's existence prior to the 2015 agreement. Feel free to fill me in via PM if you don't care for some of the usual jokers around here sticking their noses in.

Danth
After more research it does look like it is ultimately up to the copyright holder to enforce, so it really comes down to "does the EQ Emulator project want to enforce the license they selected?"

Old 12-10-2021, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's not about profiting, it's about code-sharing. The GPL says nothing about "if you don't make money you can ignore it".
You side stepped my use case scenarios.

Go look at BSDs netcode and Microsofts spats. Or SuSE/Debian and get back 2 me.

The older generation intel/Nvidia Linux drivers are also interesting.

TLDR: Loramin doesn't understand GNU/gpl or why at all big companies even pay lip service to it or even allow stuff like this and is getting uppity mad with threads title or the false assertion Rogean has to publish code which is his own personal project.

You failed hard at being illuminazi.
Closed Thread