Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: Do you think Aliens exist?
Yes 91 71.09%
No 5 3.91%
Lron is a tranny 55 42.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What classifies us as most advanced?
Can't even field that as a serious question.
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Humans are also the only species that have willfully saved other species from extinction.
And how many have we hunted and harvested to extinction or near extinction? How many have resulted of deforestation and urbanization? Pollution?

The "we can do no wrong" entitled attitude that you display in your opinion is part of the problem. Which is the same arrogant attitude that causes people to believe we're so much better today than civilizations in the past that it's more likely they were visited by aliens than merit them with intellectual prowess when we uncover things we don't fully understand.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardalicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And how many have we hunted and harvested to extinction or near extinction? How many have resulted of deforestation and urbanization? Pollution?

The "we can do no wrong" entitled attitude that you display in your opinion is part of the problem. Which is the same arrogant attitude that causes people to believe we're so much better today than civilizations in the past that it's more likely they were visited by aliens than merit them with intellectual prowess when we uncover things we don't fully understand.
I never said that humans are prefect and we have not negatively impacted our planet in some ways. I'm simply pointing out that to take the whole of humanity and classify it as a virus, given our technological development, our capacity for empathy and logical thought makes you sound like an angsty teenager.
Red:
Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardalicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC2M6Yz6Ld4
Old 04-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHurb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A simple thought exercise.

If space and time are infinite

and we exist, therefore the probability that we exist is > 0

It only stands to reason then, there is other "life"
also one man figured out how to build stone henge using pivots and leverage, google it
Old 04-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

So what you're getting at is you have an opinion that differs from mine and you wanted to let me know?

Got it! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't even field that as a serious question.
Why not? I never implied that I disagree with you, but if you're going to put forth statements as fact at least give some definition. Is it our individual intelligence? How do we measure that accurately throughout species without bias. There could certainly be intelligence in other species that we lack, look at how animals react when storms approach.

It certainly can't be based on longevity as we've not been around nearly as long as a lot of species, and I don't think it can be based on expected longevity either, as cockroaches will probably outlast us. If we wipe ourselves off the earth in the next 1000 years, will we still be regarded as the most advanced species from this planet?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why not? I never implied that I disagree with you, but if you're going to put forth statements as fact at least give some definition. Is it our individual intelligence? How do we measure that accurately throughout species without bias. There could certainly be intelligence in other species that we lack, look at how animals react when storms approach.

It certainly can't be based on longevity as we've not been around nearly as long as a lot of species, and I don't think it can be based on expected longevity either, as cockroaches will probably outlast us. If we wipe ourselves off the earth in the next 1000 years, will we still be regarded as the most advanced species from this planet?
The fact that we are firmly at the top of the food chain is evidence enough.
Red:
Old 04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
There could certainly be intelligence in other species that we lack, look at how animals react when storms approach.
This is a good point, there are certainly different types of intelligence that humans do not have. We can't innately sense a storm you're right. However our intelligence in other areas makes up for that. Going with your storm example, no we can't innately sense when a storm is coming hours in advance like some insects can, however we can build doppler radar that can map a storm hundreds of miles away.
Red:
Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

Lot of dumb in this thread.