Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larper99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yes, but the problem becomes that you still need to have several hotbar slots setup for songs leaving little to no room for others, no matter which page you are on.

The problem is, other casters get to use their spell gems without resorting to macros, leaving the hotbar available for other things. Bards, having to double click to achieve twisting, resort to using the hotbar as a surrogate for their spell gems. Since we twist 5 or more songs while in combat, that leaves little room for instrument swapping, assist macros, melee hotkey, having Selo available at all times, etc. So, bards lose out on a whole "hot bar" (the spell gems) that other casters get to use as designed.

So, the question is, is /stopsong worth the loss of the hotbar, or does a bard have to become a maestro in the UI, constantly switching hotbars WHILE twisting. Or, does the bard resort to "outside the box" solutions such as scripting, regardless of whether it is "against the rules" or not.

The UI design, even with expanded 8 button hotbars, seems to indicate that twisting was never intended. Later solutions to bring the bard up to a more even playing field with things like "melody" are not classic and not supported on green or any p99 server if I am correct.

So the bard, as is currently expected to be played, is handicapped out of the box. But, I find that endearing and a challenge. Others may not. If you note, it was recently pointed out that during the beta (or early release) of EQ in 1999, it was noticed that bards and enchanters were the least populous class. Whether for lack of understanding their utility, or for difficulty of using the UI, it is unknown. But the way we expect bards to be used today, they are a challenge. But I find that a positive. I get to discover the solutions, and discuss the best ways and alternatives (while staying in the agreed upon rules) to deal with those challenges.

What I really miss out with the bard, is that since I am constantly typing during combat and even during recovery, I don't get to banter in /gs. Makes it a bit harder to socialize within the game. For that, I would make a recovery melody macro, to let me take a break while still twisting heals and regen. But, since everyone chain pulls now....

/sigh
Thank God there's someone with some sense. Its refreshing. And having to press the key twice doesn't make bards harder at all, it's just pointless and annoying. Its a mechanic that should have been fixed since 1999 and that stopsong macros are used to remedy. All it does is make you waste your action slots or deal with having to double tap. You might as well make every other class have to press their abilities twice too.

So I understand not wanting people to use scripts for farming or something; or not wanting to pass the threshold of allowance and judging them individually because its easier to just blanket ban (if you could even detect it). But in this case its not even an "unfair advantage" because all it does is fix a bad mechanic that players normally do anyway when they have enough slots. And its a problem because you only have 6 unless you change pages. So why not just let players use a normal UI, change the mechanic in the code so it automatically casts stopsong when you use a new gem like I originally suggested, or as a last resort, allow a specific script. Especially since you've already made changes like item linking. I'm done with the game though but for the bards that still play.
Last edited by Hazek; 11-26-2019 at 06:40 PM..
Old 11-26-2019, 06:39 PM
Sarnak

See that meditate button the the spellbook? That's classic and it sucks. The whole point of this project is to relive the classic experience, warts and all.

I believe item linking has been left in place because they haven't reversed engineered the titanium client yet to remove it.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashire [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I DONT LIKE CLASSIC EQ BUT I WANT TO PLAY CLASSIC EQ PLS MAKE IT INTO WOW FOR ME TY
False interpretation. Both extremes of "ultra classic" and "too many updates" are bad. The best approach is to keep it as classic as possible but still fix obvious problems like the meditate button or no inherent stopsong. But that requires a smart and reasonable dev with the vision to know when he's going too far. Not that i'm implying anything about the current devs, sincerely, because I understand why they maintain the ultra classic attitude despite that not being best.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:01 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
False interpretation. Both extremes of "ultra classic" and "too many updates" are bad. The best approach is to keep it as classic as possible but still fix obvious problems like the meditate button or no inherent stopsong. But that requires a smart and reasonable dev with the vision to know when he's going too far. Not that i'm implying anything about the current devs, sincerely, because I understand why they maintain the ultra classic attitude despite that not being best.
They only seem to make non classic changes for serious game breaking things like stopping the ability to recharge the lifetap hoops. This project has never been about selectively streamlining everquest, it's been about trying to reproduce the game as it was experienced many years ago.

If you don't agree then you might want to try another server.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by this user was banned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They only seem to make non classic changes for serious game breaking things like stopping the ability to recharge the lifetap hoops. This project has never been about selectively streamlining everquest, it's been about trying to reproduce the game as it was experienced many years ago.

If you don't agree then you might want to try another server.
Woosh. "Streamlining Everquest" is not what I was saying at all. That's one of the extremes i'm against.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashire [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I DONT LIKE CLASSIC EQ BUT I WANT TO PLAY CLASSIC EQ PLS MAKE IT INTO WOW FOR ME TY
I DONT LIKE CLASSIC EQ BUT I WANT TO PLAY CLASSIC EQ PLS MAKE IT INTO WOW FOR ME AND CHANGE LIFETAP HOOPS TY
Old 11-26-2019, 07:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Woosh. "Streamlining Everquest" is not what I was saying at all. That's one of the extremes i'm against.
changing something because it's just pointless and annoying" as you stated is by definition streamlining
Old 11-26-2019, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by this user was banned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
changing something because it's just pointless and annoying" as you stated is by definition streamlining
Subjective semantics.

Fixing something that has no purpose in the game that negatively effects it with zero benefits is not the same as adding a feature like group finder, which is closer to the vague definition of "streamlining".
Last edited by Hazek; 11-26-2019 at 07:31 PM..
Old 11-26-2019, 08:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Subjective semantics.

Fixing something that has no purpose in the game that negatively effects it with zero benefits is not the same as adding a feature like group finder, which is closer to the vague definition of "streamlining".
Vague definition?

stream·line
/ˈstrēmˌlīn/
verb

make (an organization or system) more efficient and effective by employing faster or simpler working methods.

This is precisely doing what you want. Removal of “Bards, having to double click to achieve twisting”

Again, the whole point of the project is to recreate the stupid shit that was present in classic EQ. Some of us actually want to experience the original game as it was. Including pointless things like disabled tab targeting. Maybe p99 isn’t for you.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Vague definition?

stream·line
/ˈstrēmˌlīn/
verb

make (an organization or system) more efficient and effective by employing faster or simpler working methods.

This is precisely doing what you want. Removal of “Bards, having to double click to achieve twisting”

Again, the whole point of the project is to recreate the stupid shit that was present in classic EQ. Some of us actually want to experience the original game as it was. Including pointless things like disabled tab targeting. Maybe p99 isn’t for you.
Then maybe you should petition the devs so players have to stare at the spell book to meditate if that's what you want. Keep it "classic" with all the stupid shit right?

And removing the need to double tap doesn't make anything faster or more efficient since you're still limited to how fast you can twist according to the cast time. All it does is remove a redundant keypress. Same with removing the meditate button that you're opposed to and mistakenly define as "streamlining"; Which is why I said its vague because even you aren't using that word correctly.
Last edited by Hazek; 11-26-2019 at 08:28 PM..
Closed Thread