Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is hard to feel immersed with your rusty short sword when the next guy has full class armor or a rogue epic at level 1.

If you want that "fresh" feel, the closest thing to it is on the red server. Red isn't drowning in excess items that you can buy for 50pp in the tunnel.
I got extremely immersed last night in lower guk.

Was a full group at frenzied. Shaman had bloodstained tunic, rogue was using snare dagger, warrior had some crafted, cleric was wearing bronze.

Most immersed group I've seen in awhile. It reminded me of classic. Really hope they got an FBSS.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is hard to feel immersed with your rusty short sword when the next guy has full class armor or a rogue epic at level 1.

If you want that "fresh" feel, the closest thing to it is on the red server. Red isn't drowning in excess items that you can buy for 50pp in the tunnel.
Tried playing immersionquest recently, had a legit noob group for like 15 mins before some jerk came over and started handing out gear and ruined it.

Come to p99, it's challenging and rewarding btw here's a set of armor and a weapon that you couldn't possibly get on your own for 35 more levels.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Sarnak

I just don't see Ragefire and P99 as competitive. P99 captures classic EQ to a wonderful degree, and is great for those of us who miss it and those who don't want to play past Classic (no luclin and beyond). As I'm sure has been mentioned a hundred times in this thread, Ragefire is not a classic server. It's just a chance to play through all the expansions (not just through velious) as current content again with all the current-day perks and patches in place. Many people prefer this, especially newer gamers who didn't experience classic EQ and would be disillusioned by all the inconveniences that make it so classic.

All the various patches over the years being in place makes it a completely different game from P99. I'm playing a ranger (with a sham box) because it's actually a fairly good class with all the melee buffs, no xp penalty, better spells (can you say panic animals in vanilla/kunark!?), and it'll just get better and better as the expansions unlock. Ranger has always been my favorite class, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to roll one on P99 due to so much going against it.

I'll be playing both servers actively to get my fix of both.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke68 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Live is just a ton easier. There is no comparison in the time you need to spend to level. No corpse runs. Soul binders in every city. Shared bank slots. Casters, pets and monks do tons more damage. More vendor trash to sell at the beginning. Spells more frequently while leveling. The list goes on.

Also, getting the Titanium client might be offputting for some.
Having played wow recently, these are exactly the kind of people I DON'T want to play with. More convenience = less community and p99 is one of the last bastions of real MMO community on the internet.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:13 PM
Sarnak

ragefire is a joke. Let the ignorant play here and let p99 stay the way it is. The only thing I fear is that when people get disillusioned with the bullshit on ragefire come here, and it gives p99 server load issues, and even worse DBG decides to change its mind and serves a C&D because they cant hack it and want their customers back.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion_Standing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tried playing immersionquest recently, had a legit noob group for like 15 mins before some jerk came over and started handing out gear and ruined it.

Come to p99, it's challenging and rewarding btw here's a set of armor and a weapon that you couldn't possibly get on your own for 35 more levels.
If only your group had been playing in their own private instance of that content! Then that self-serving that jerk would not have been able to just waltz in and ruin your immersion like that. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ragefire is a joke. Let the ignorant play here and let p99 stay the way it is. The only thing I fear is that when people get disillusioned with the bullshit on ragefire come here, and it gives p99 server load issues, and even worse DBG decides to change its mind and serves a C&D because they cant hack it and want their customers back.
I doubt there is all that much overlap between the two player groups. Daybreak is running "modern" EQ, which for all the reasons already posted to this thread is a far different game than the classic EQ p99 aims for. People who want to just log in and be rewarded for smacking some mobs around to unwind after work won't get what they're looking for on p99. People who abhor mass boxing and grotesquely overpowered classes and the other elements of modern EQ that minimize player interdependence won't like it on Ragefire.

The one segment of the player base that overlaps between such different games/environments is the self-congratulatory neckbeard types who think every MMO is another instance of Lord of the Flies Online. You know them, that entitled 10% who create 90% of the CS headaches, they're here, they're there, they're everywhere.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ive read a lot of posts on the daybreak boards from players making comments like "my friends wont play p99" or "my friends refuse to play on p99" or "fuck p99 id never play on that server"

and my question is, why not? what is the reason behind their adamant resentment of P99? i get it if they wanna box or run mq2, but if they want classic everquest, and since we do classic better than anyone else on the internet, why wouldnt they want to play on p99?

<3
Sirks
Do ya think, just maybe, it has something to do with nearly FIVE FUCKING YEARS of Kunark being farmed by the same people who've amassed tens of millions of platinum? Or did u happen to conveniently miss all those posts?

Open a FRESH BLUE99 with, or shortly after, Velious.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Sarnak

To clarify:

Many of the people interested in the progression servers are interested in being on the leading edge. Hence the killing of nagafen vox and inny 2 after the servers opening.

They're not interested in playing on a server that been in the same expansion for nearly 5 years
Old 05-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riotgirl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A number of common themes:
- Titanium Client
- Old school mechanics
- Missing specific expansions

If Daybreak made a payable download I'd purchase in a heartbeat to show that there is a demand for legit copies. I eventually found ISO formats without using the Bay, but it took a while to find, and the Daemon Tools recommendation fails to take into account demo only allows for 4 virtual drives.

The biggest challenge is that there is a big demand for casual. CRs, exp losses, and the like are considered hardcore and the majority of the playerbase do not want this, or player interdependence. Essentially single player with chat is what it is all about.

Spread the word to old EQ players and people with a similar mindset. No point reaching out to those to whom the EQ mechanics are anathema.
well... considering that you only need 1 virtual drive... that should be fine.
(when it asks you to insert the next CD, you can eject the prior one - how do you think it was done on actual CDs? 4 CD-Rom drives?)