Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Planar Protector

I'm reading "Decision Points" by Bush 43, also known as Grand Master G-Funk.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Kobold

I read Wizard's First Rule and Stone of Tears - years ago, but sputtered out on Blood of the Fold.

Does the series get better? I couldn't make it past 100 pages into book 3, just seemed totally redundant by that point.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I read Wizard's First Rule and Stone of Tears - years ago, but sputtered out on Blood of the Fold.

Does the series get better? I couldn't make it past 100 pages into book 3, just seemed totally redundant by that point.
It varies from person to person, but that's about when it "slows down" for a lot of people.

It really does pay off to finish it. It's fucking amazing.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Banned

Ayn Rand , Anthem
Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It varies from person to person, but that's about when it "slows down" for a lot of people.

It really does pay off to finish it. It's fucking amazing.
Guess I'll give it a shot, just seems like reading 8 more books just for the payoff is a bit much o.O
Old 08-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Fire Giant

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk, and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig
Old 08-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

It picks up a lot sooner than that.

Temple of the Winds, Soul of the Fire, and Faith of the Fallen are amazing. (the next three for you)

I trudged through Pillars of Creation, which was the only book of the series I had to struggle to finish it was so slow. The rest I generally thought were flat-out great.

After Pillars, the rest ramp up starting at amazing and going from there until the conclusion.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Kobold

Ben Franklin's autobiography. You don't know baller till you know Ben F. Dude invented lightning and the back-handed bitch slap. Also free on kindle app so why not.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I trudged through Pillars of Creation, which was the only book of the series I had to struggle to finish it was so slow. The rest I generally thought were flat-out great.
I've re read the sword of truth series three times however I've always opted out of re reading "The pillars of creation" it's sorta necessary backstory but you could get by without reading it. What I find most odd is when I encounter die hard wheel of time fans who dislike the sword of truth, however, I've never been able to read the Wheel of time past book 7 and I've tried 2-3 times.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet and I like this thread so I'd advise the First law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie it's an easy 3 book series I found enjoyable, nothing to shout home about but worth a read and fairly short. Also almost any dragonlance or drizzt series is worth a read.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 PM
The Protector of Sunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've re read the sword of truth series three times however I've always opted out of re reading "The pillars of creation" it's sorta necessary backstory but you could get by without reading it. What I find most odd is when I encounter die hard wheel of time fans who dislike the sword of truth, however, I've never been able to read the Wheel of time past book 7 and I've tried 2-3 times.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet and I like this thread so I'd advise the First law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie it's an easy 3 book series I found enjoyable, nothing to shout home about but worth a read and fairly short. Also almost any dragonlance or drizzt series is worth a read.
Drizzt wore me out, get tired of the good guys always winning and when Wulfgar comes back it was too much. Likeable characters and the setting is really nostalgic for me since EQ essentially ripped it off, but his story arcs are redundant from book to book. I also read them sequentially instead of in the order they were released so not sure if that changes things.

As much as I was surprised, because the movie was such an abomination, the Eragon series is solid.

Sorry we disagree about Wizard's First Rule, I finished ADWD a few nights ago so I'm back in WFR and I find myself skimming through paragraphs, the characters just have no depth for me. They all seem very shallow in terms of development and predictability. Perhaps that's not true in the long run but then I'd argue it's a fault of his pacing.
Closed Thread