Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Noone knows or will ever know the exact classic formula. If you possibly have non classic data already in use it's absurd to suggest you can't replace it with anything but proven classic values that can never be acquired.
what "formula"? are we talking about magic resist code? we can know it, or approximate it as best we can over a decade of trial and error, which we are

are we suggesting charm had a different MR code? we can know that too. we just need to do more digging

if this is about enc charm pet dmg, we can be pretty certain of that too, as far as it appears in logs, some of which survived

the invis breaking charm is something we can and should investigate further. i'm in full support of this or other classic nerfs as long as it doesnt present other technical issues and exploits AND its actually classic

i guess im not just not ready to throw my hands up and say "ok i give up, just nerf it with custom values" and i dont think we should be sending that message to the devs about any feature. its very, very classic that a shaman and enc can duo content made for groups. they're both strong classes that have unique weaknesses but complement each other well. and we definitely shouldnt be getting emotional and hyperbolic about this. its a game yes, but its also a museum project for the staff, which have signed some sort of contract to keep it that way. for all we know they can't go and rebalance things and make "custom" content because they made a commitment in writing to DBG to only restore classic... but that's just me talking, i dont know the extent of that contract.
Last edited by bubur; 11-25-2019 at 04:19 PM..
Old 11-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The data in this thread suggests charm durations are about right on p99, but that charisma is part of what is getting us there. If they nerf charisma, they'll have to buff charm directly to remain classic, and it will actually be a net buff to enchanters since they'll be charming as well as ever but without needing to gear for charisma instead of just hp, ac, and int.
Please take your reason out of here. People are angry, children are crying, you need to consider their feels.

I hope Roegan reads all this and starts a feezls besed server.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The data in this thread suggests charm durations are about right on p99, but that charisma is part of what is getting us there. If they nerf charisma, they'll have to buff charm directly to remain classic, and it will actually be a net buff to enchanters since they'll be charming as well as ever but without needing to gear for charisma instead of just hp, ac, and int.
Yeah it's somewhat ironic that this whole thread could technically cause Charming to be made even easier if they really do remove the effect of CHA and correspondingly modify the mechanic to reflect live (which it looks like may have been accurate to P99 mechanics, but without the added burden of needing the CHA save lol). Although, I will also add that it's sort of weird that people have been having a dispute about CHA at all since the P99 Wiki Statistics page literally has a quote from Brad in the Charisma section saying that CHA affects saving rolls on certain Bard and Enchanter spells (charm in particular)...you'd think that a direct quote from the creator himself would suffice as evidence that CHA has a positive impact on Charming lol.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
p sure its actually druids but whatever. who cares about facts?

the problem im having with this "debate" is people are not reading any nuance in these anecdotes or arguments. what I am actually starting to believe is that charm worked *almost* the same, but there were small changes that made a huge difference in people's willingness to charm

for example: if invis doesnt break charm on classic - what do you do to reliably break charm? this doesn't make the strat infeasible, but it's a lot less in the player's control, therefore less people would do it to solo like they do on p99

or: did charm pets eat group xp? or was there a *belief* that charm pets ate group xp - then no one would want you to do it, even if it was actually very efficient. the community would have pressured enc's, who already didn't want to take the risk, to not do it

or: did going linkdead cause your charm pet to go haywire on you and your entire group? people may have been averse to this for a variety of reasons

for these types of nuance, you can do what you can to recreate classic, but what if being invis while having a charm mob allows someone to exploit and single pull out of a camp, like sneak pulling did before the staff nerfed it? people want 100% classic, but people also don't seem to understand that classic was broken as all fuck in so many weird and everquesty ways

you're asking the staff to do the impossible, or maybe the improbable (because the devs are pretty dang good), but they wont prioritize this over existing issues without EVIDENCE. there DOES need to be evidence, because this is not just a simple "Ok, we'll just tune down dmg on charm pets, or make it easier to resist." that kind of unclassic arbitrary change is opening the door to a lot more negative than youd be solving. help out and find some real evidence or go kick rocks

why am i still typing. this will be buried and people will read five words of my wall of text and say "hurr durr enc bad" or "hurr durr enc good"

end this madness
I read it all. These are the sorts of reasons I've been giving for why enchanters are more popular on here and why charm is more widely used than it was on live.

I mean, even on blue back in the early days, chanters were a low pop class (6% or so on the like 2013 surveys I saw I think). What changed? Did charm get buffed on blue? Not that I recall. Chanters even went through a number of nerfs since classic on blue. What changed was the SAC got a lot of attention, and people started streaming enchanters, and the wiki got more updates, etc.

During Tecmos's and Noman's heydays when I was making videos and streaming and playing on blue a ton, I got multiple tells almost every time I was on from chanters saying stuff like "Oh man, I never knew how cool enchanters were until I saw your videos!" or "I'm still not great, you make charming look so easy, but I am figuring it out and it is fun!" or "I made a chanter because of you" or picking my brain about a hundred different chanter things. And PMs on the forums. And threads on here. Etc etc.

99.99% OF PEOPLE JUST DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO USE CHARM CORRECTLY!!!
Old 11-25-2019, 04:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
99.99% OF PEOPLE JUST DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO USE CHARM CORRECTLY!!!
This a very rude way of saying "git gud, newbs".

Well done.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
The data in this thread mostly proves that people will bitch and whine about things they don't understand, with a direct correlation between ignorance and loudness.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:34 PM
Planar Protector

as a sidenote can any op enc come and farm freeti on teal for a while?

havent seen even one pair of fruity boots yet. im payin well
Old 11-25-2019, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
as a sidenote can any op enc come and farm freeti on teal for a while?

havent seen even one pair of fruity boots yet. im payin well
Fruity boots. That's awesome.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The data in this thread mostly proves that people will bitch and whine about things they don't understand, with a direct correlation between ignorance and loudness.
It sounds like you understand it. Care to expound? How should it be?
Old 11-25-2019, 05:45 PM
Kobold

Where's this hard data that Chanters are playing like they did back in '99?

I mean, I haven't seen hard data from the other side either, but neither have come forward with verifiable numbers.

What the status quo crowd has going for it is that the P99 team agrees with them. It falls on the people demanding change to make a case for things being the way they want them (as it should).
Closed Thread