Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They are starting to obduscate urls, redirect, and not provide..gif format. Unless you privately upload a downscaled lower rez 'hidden' version in a lot of cases.

For starters.

I'm good at using browser and app channeling is going to replace browsers soon were the website just blocks u on mobile or refuses to serve up html at all aside from a splash page. Then ppl make ways to circumvent that, but what I'm saying is pretty soon the desktops won't even be supported u will only have trusted computed apps thru the iTunes, or Microsoft, or Android channels.

But this site is kinda fine for the time being but it's dying.

Pantheon emu will for sure only really have discord app.
change the extension to .gif, boomer
Old 06-16-2021, 02:37 PM
Fire Giant

We all know star/recondo is the same person with multiple accounts but why does he quote himself and respond to himself? Is it some kind of severe mental disorder? Should we be finding him help?
Old 06-16-2021, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The fact that you can find 1 guide only supports my argument, nobody knew about it nobody was creative enough.
Just so we're clear, your argument is that ... even though live had 20x (30x? 50x?) the number of Druids we have ... none of them were "creative enough" to A) go to the zones they were already XPing in (eg. South Karana), and B) cast two spells off their spell list (no goblin rings required) ... even though it would have given them noticeably faster XP?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
obduscate
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-16-2021, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just so we're clear, your argument is that ... even though live had 20x (30x? 50x?) the number of Druids we have ... none of them were "creative enough" to A) go to the zones they were already XPing in (eg. South Karana), and B) cast two spells off their spell list (no goblin rings required) ... even though it would have given them noticeably faster XP?
YES i have made that so beyond clear.

Explain why for the grand majority of years there were no charming guids on P99?

For the same reason: players are lazy, and they dont think outside the box, when someone has already handed them a box.

Now they are handed tons of boxes, via youtube the wiki the forums and the collective knowledge that we ALL have after 10+ years.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgasari [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
change the extension to .gif, boomer
It doesn't always work unless sometimes u rescale and reupload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My brain loves u
Old 06-16-2021, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
YES i have made that so beyond clear.

Explain why for the grand majority of years there were no charming guids on P99?

For the same reason: players are lazy, and they dont think outside the box, when someone has already handed them a box.

Now they are handed tons of boxes, via youtube the wiki the forums and the collective knowledge that we ALL have after 10+ years.
I guess this is the point where we agree to disagree. I think it's incredibly illogical to think that there were many multiples more Druids on live, all trying to earn XP as quickly as they could ... but not a one was willing to try using a spell on their list.

Or actually, it's worse than that: we know for a fact that there were Druid charm guides back then! So really you're arguing not only that people ignored their own spell list, but also that they ignored explicit guides telling them to charm ,,, despite the fact that it could mean faster XP.

That doesn't at all sounds like how EverQuest players (in any era) were.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now, let me ask you something: did you play Street Fighter II? If so, you'd know that Ryu was a popular character, who had a powerful dragon punch attack. If I were to make a Street Fighter II emulator, and no one wanted to dragon punch with Ryu ... do I need to know the exact amount of damage for the dragon punch to know that I got wrong? Or can I tell that my emulator isn't emulating the original game properly, because people aren't playing my emulator the way they played the original?

The millennials would just claim all the "boomers" were idiots doing it wrong all along. Remember the runaround we had with combat bind wound until it was demonstrated impossible? Problem here is charm wasn't impossible, merely less reliable than on P99, so finding the required proof is dramatically less likely.

In the meantime I'm content to live with it as-is. Most "random" spells--not just charm, but root, invisible, etc--are probably tuned a little too friendly on P99. Entire reason groups fell over themselves for wanting enchanter crowd control was because Mez was reliable with its fixed duration and didn't break early all the time. Don't even care about having an enchanter around on P99. I prefer such spells being a little too "friendly" over the alternative of hitting them with an excessive nerfbat and making them all worse than they should be. Yuck. Leave it as-is until such a time as evidence allows it to be made exact. That'll take more work than I'm willing to put in.

Nobody will ever convince me that the lull spell line is right here, either. I was a Paladin and I tried everything with it, including heavy charisma sets/buffs. It was crap because of the artificially inflated resist rate it had. There's another one that's probably too good on P99. Mezzes memblur absurdly often too. Enchanters happen to get most of this stuff so they see a uniquely strong power boost from it, but really almost everyone benefits from something or other. Careful what you wish for.

(**I quoted your post from the other thread here, Loramin, instead of in that thread because it's off-topic for that thread, a Mage thread originally, but on-topic for this one)

Danth
Old 06-16-2021, 03:35 PM
Fire Giant

Loramin, you ever thought, your own personal Experience and memories are different then what you truly remember 20 years ago. Also, you ask why did so many enchanters group back then? Simple

A) EQ IS AN MMO. Meaning players wanted to party and group and play with friends. Not everyone is a solo junkie like they do now(blame wiki for that, the thing you love so much)
B) Just bc there was lots of guides, and only 1 charm guide. Doesn't mean crap. How many gamers kept hidden knowledge to themselves? Cough Fire pots, Epic quest info. Not every game wants 2 share their knowledge. Hell I am sure in someones attic, is some nice little notebooks they wrote up guides for THEMSELVES, not to post on Gamefaqs, or Allak, or whatever site.

C) Internet- Have you tried charming while lagging like heck on Dial up? I am sure, how reliable is that vs now on cable connections. Charming is much safer now, bc you had random lag spikes, or DC's on dial up compared to now. Hence very very very few solo'd. (I remeber my uncles friend on his necro soloing alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time in Lguk with his spec pet, was beyond jelly with my 14 year old eyes bleeding in nerdgasm)

D) Instead of focusing on Enchanters. How bout you focus on Necros.. Who still can't life tap most mobs in game. Bc of a damn Ivanders hoop(instead of nerfing it, they nerf'd a whole damn class oh and SKs) Also Cant send pets across zone like you could.. Wheres this classic fixes at??? Druid Track still wrong. Never had the pre hate event in kith. SSTAMINA?? Where is the drain when I swim? Or swing a sword? There are buffs/songs that was DESIGNED for this feature.

I hate how so much changes are based on info on wayback. Some yes I am sure is great info. But most of it is just bc Look one person said it. Its gotta be true.
Mama Vinelsier Lepermesiah Server 1st 60 Grave Lord(And only The Grave Lord)//Resilak 50 Monk//Tenchi Masaki 50 Wizard//Jaskieer 48 Bard// Heeheehee Teeheehee 57 Mage// Belll Cranel 50 Monkdrackgon 54 rogue, Cuddlezzz 60 shaman
RIP<Gathered Might>
Old 06-16-2021, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I guess this is the point where we agree to disagree. I think it's incredibly illogical to think that there were many multiples more Druids on live, all trying to earn XP as quickly as they could ... but not a one was willing to try using a spell on their list.

Or actually, it's worse than that: we know for a fact that there were Druid charm guides back then! So really you're arguing not only that people ignored their own spell list, but also that they ignored explicit guides telling them to charm ,,, despite the fact that it could mean faster XP.

That doesn't at all sounds like how EverQuest players (in any era) were.
Early EQ players were bad compared to EQ players now due to the knowledge glut. I imagine most of them would try to charm a snake or something for gimmicks in groups but wouldn't think to make it into a leveling style, or they tried to do charm killing, tried to charm a high DB, found that it broke constantly, gave up, and went back to nuking shit down. I'm sure some druids were doing it for sure, but it was by no means common knowledge in early EQ. Don't forget the internet was very different then, the free flow of information more viscous.
Closed Thread