Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadwen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think anyone expects an MMO dev to do nothing for 14 years. But it's a completely different game now, do you really expect people who play on P99 to NOT knock Live? It's the exact opposite of what people here want from an MMO. You are on the wrong forums if you are seeing something you didn't expect.
I have said it on the Forums before. You can play the Test server. Get everything for free there. you DO NOT have to use the Stones, have a merc, pick up uber drop gear, etc, etc. If you play with no real good gear it is as slow there as it is here. And there is a ton more places to go and things to do. You can make it what you want compared to here. If you like going to KC, Seb, and HS 75 times a week, killing the same mobs over and over like on here, well enjoy. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by webrunner5; 06-08-2013 at 10:25 AM..
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have said it on the Forums before. You can play the Test server. Get everything for free there. you DO NOT have to use the Stones, have a merc, pick up uber drop gear, etc, etc. If you play with no real good gear it is as slow there as it is here. And there is a ton more places to go and things to do. You can make it what you want compared to here. If you like going to KC, Seb, and HS 75 times a week, killing the same mobs over and over like on here, well enjoy. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, considering they have changed the way XP works and so many of the original mechanics, there's really no way to go back. It's a different game now (and a bit of a mess IMO, but it's just my opinion).

Also... I was using the live S3Ds to get the updated textures. I tried to zone into the Commons and crashed. They have changed it totally on live (I didn't know that).
Old 06-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, considering they have changed the way XP works and so many of the original mechanics, there's really no way to go back. It's a different game now (and a bit of a mess IMO, but it's just my opinion).

Also... I was using the live S3Ds to get the updated textures. I tried to zone into the Commons and crashed. They have changed it totally on live (I didn't know that).
I didn't say it was perfect, but it sure as hell isn't here either. The XP is no faster if you start off with a Orc pick and a Cloth Robe. There is high Zem zones there just like here. I am not a big fan of the way they re did EC EFP etc but having tons more zones to go to is a plus for me. I play on all of the EQ servers. So I get to play the best of all of them. The Sleeper server is a lot like P1999 was when it first started and you get to 2 box. I like it, Firepots and all.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Someone said something about Beastlords? Uh ya give me that.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briscoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was looking at the last updates from the Legacy of Steel archive, dated 2005, and you already had items that were adding 350+ points to mana and HP, with multiple effects, modifiers, etc. I don't see how modern expansion content doesn't have items adding over 1000+ at this point.
They do.

e.g.

Twilight Greaves of the Performer
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE PRESTIGE INFUSIBLE
Slot: LEGS
Purity: 50
AC: 223
STR: +35+11 DEX: +38+12 STA: +31+10 CHA: +31+10 WIS: +28 INT: +29+10 AGI: +36+12 HP: +2410 MANA: +2267 ENDUR: +2386
SV FIRE: +45 SV DISEASE: +45 SV COLD: +45 SV MAGIC: +45 SV POISON: +45
Combat Effects: +5 Shielding: +2% Spell Shield: +2% Avoidance: +5 Accuracy: +7 Stun Resist: +2% Strikethrough: +1% DoT Shielding: +2% Attack: +30 HP Regen +3 Mana Regeneration: +3 Damage Shield: +2 Spell Damage: +17 Damage Shield Mitigation: +2 Heal Amount: +17
Required level of 100.
Effect: Ferocity IX (Worn, Casting Time: Instant)
Focus: Wind Resonance 26
WT: 9.4 Size: LARGE
Class: BRD
Race: HUM ELF HEF VAH DRK
Slot 1, Type 7 (General: Group)
Slot 2, Type 13 (Energeiac: Group)
Slot 3, Type 21 (Special Ornamentation)

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/i...ml?item=111597
Old 06-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Fire Giant

I really miss spell sets but other than that, live is an ugly mess.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In F2P (or P2W) games, every part of that game is a carrot to get you to spend money. It has to be that way. Almost every aspect of the design is intentionally plugging into psychological elements - the same ones that get people addicted to slot machines by the way, and is the reason slots are now implementing lots of RPG elements. This is why there is so much discussion about "Skinner boxes". There are lots of articles online about this for anyone who wants to read about it.

You cannot have a game like the original EQ within that model, because it's intentionally difficult, slow burn, challenging, subtle, and long term. It plays on foreshadowing, delayed gratification, and rewards genuine thought and effort. You don't get a trophy just for turning up. There are so many touches of "unreasonable detail" because it was for the most part a labour of vision and love. The difference is clear for anyone who loves games and RPGs in particular, and it's the same in all works of creativity.

F2P games can't do that. Their game mechanics can't do that. Their reward schemes can't do that. Honestly, it affects absolutely everything from art style to time between level ups, to the layout of geometry. It's built upon instant gratification and ADD attention spans. There is nothing, in the end, that is untouched by the single-minded pursuit of mass market mediocrity and profit.

So, by its nature it can't create anything but shallow, mercenary, exploitive, manipulative gameplay - which is the antithesis of good gameplay. And it can't do anything but undervalue ingame effort and reward. Buying game progression devalues everything about that game, and cheapens it irreversibly. It is the death of everything that under-girded RPG games, and people are just beginning to realize it en masse, and stop handing over money to it. They've been tricked, and they see it. The games industry is imploding right now, as I've said. In the past few months dozens of studios have closed, some major. Zynga, that abortive mess of a Skinner box shop, just laid off 500 employees. Most of my ex-colleagues are out of work - all over the world. So much about games is crap right now, and this coercive F2P philosophy is a big part of the reason why.
You are right on the money here, great post.

Every F2P game that I have played for a decent amount of time has just been a huge letdown. When game breaking bugs persist but 20+ new purchasable items roll out every other week you can really see what the devs are focused on. (but don't worry, the hats team is different from the one man bug fixing team so they still care)
Old 06-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't say it was perfect, but it sure as hell isn't here either. The XP is no faster if you start off with a Orc pick and a Cloth Robe. There is high Zem zones there just like here. I am not a big fan of the way they re did EC EFP etc but having tons more zones to go to is a plus for me. I play on all of the EQ servers. So I get to play the best of all of them. The Sleeper server is a lot like P1999 was when it first started and you get to 2 box. I like it, Firepots and all.
How is sleeper doing? I logged in last night and did a who all 1-30 during peak (est) hours and it came up with 15 people, and I was one of them. Assuming they are all 2 boxing thats 7 people between levels 1-30...didn't look like a good sign to me.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briscoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was looking at the last updates from the Legacy of Steel archive, dated 2005, and you already had items that were adding 350+ points to mana and HP, with multiple effects, modifiers, etc. I don't see how modern expansion content doesn't have items adding over 1000+ at this point.
Here is my ranger's bow on live:

Crab Point

MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE PRESTIGE PLACEABLE
Slot: RANGE
Charges: Unlimited
Skill: Archery Atk Delay: 25
DMG: 134 AC: 101
This item is placeable in yards and houses.
STR: +38+6 DEX: +30+5 STA: +17+7 CHA: +31+6 WIS: +30+6 INT: +20+5 AGI: +40+7 HP: +2488 MANA: +2415 ENDUR: +2415
SV FIRE: +50 SV DISEASE: +68 SV COLD: +60 SV MAGIC: +70 SV POISON: +52
Combat Effects: +5 Shielding: +4% Spell Shield: +3% Avoidance: +9 Accuracy: +9 Stun Resist: +3% Strikethrough: +3% DoT Shielding: +2% Attack: +41 HP Regen +8 Damage Shield: +3 Clairvoyance: +39 Spell Damage: +24 Damage Shield Mitigation: +2 Heal Amount: +16
Recommended level of 95. Required level of 92.
Effect: Prismatic Ward IX (Any Slot/Can Equip, Casting Time: 0.5)
Effect: Improved Dodge VII (Worn, Casting Time: Instant)
WT: 6.2 Range: 215 Size: MEDIUM
Class: WAR PAL RNG SHD ROG
Race: ALL
Slot 1, Type 4 (Weapon: General)
Slot 2, Type 8 (General: Raid)
Slot 3, Type 20 (Ornamentation)

I find it funny when people post parses from p99 considering with this bow and discs can hit 30k DPS. My ranger also raid buffs to 100k+hp
Old 06-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadwen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How is sleeper doing? I logged in last night and did a who all 1-30 during peak (est) hours and it came up with 15 people, and I was one of them. Assuming they are all 2 boxing thats 7 people between levels 1-30...didn't look like a good sign to me.
How many people were on P1999 when it started? You were here.

But I like Sleeper because Nobody is pissing about the Raid scene, MM, Unrest, etc. At least not this week yet. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread