Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: What made it into the crapshoot it is today?
Consolification (Developers universally developing for consoles/mainstream first) 18 66.67%
Games becoming 100% virtual DDL/DRM/Steam Etc. 6 22.22%
Nothing is wrong with being a gamer I can't wait for FF XXCVII, MGS 16, and CoD Blue Ribbon! 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagotab [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's nothing wrong with the gaming industry. What is wrong is the fact that all of you are spoiled children with WAY too much money. If you spend your money on all these bad games then YOU are sending the message to the gaming industry that they can take advantage of.

If you want the gaming industry to change then you have to stop spending your parents money towards all those horrible games and consoles. Till you do such a thing the gaming industry will continue to reap the awards from your parents pockets.

Ultimately it is your fault video games have taken such a turn.
Right, because the small minority of people that play on a 14-year old emulation server's voices are enough to stop big-studio production.

I think the point is is that a LOT of people buy those games because they pander to the lowest common denominator. I'm willing to bet a lot of people here don't own consoles/buy these stupid games.

As for me, the last console I BOUGHT (i was given an xbox as a signing bonus, one time) was the Nintendo 64. ANd don't tell me Ogre Battle: Person of Lordly Calibur was a bad game.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Whatever the case, there are lots and lots of good games that have come out in the last 5 years, and there are lots and lots of good games coming out in the future.
On what console? How many consoles do I need to own and how many thousands of dollars did you spend to get to those "lots and lots of good games" because I can only name maybe 5 games in the past 5 years that werent dogshit and werent a rehash of a popular IP like Final fantasy/Disgaea/Fallout
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrocks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kagatob you pointed out that 9/10 games that come out nowadays are shit, i'd say you are generalizing a bit. 1/5 games are mindblowingly good. 1/5 of games are good, fun to play, etc. 2/5 games fall somewhere in the middle of the sprectrum, they are ok, but you may not finish the campaign and it'll likely be a return or resell if you get the channce, and 1/5 are complete shit that never should have been released (Aliens colonial marines).

This is really all about perspective, and I just dont think you guys are going to see it from mine, or how many games journalists and gamers see it. Again, the reason for this is really up for you to discover, or to not discover, but theres no way for me to argue this point with you guys [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Basically it boils down to this: You guys dont like the games that are coming out, lots of other people do, you can insult them/us all you want but it wont change the fact that there are indeed good games coming out every month and that hte industry as a whole is doing very very well.

-gotrocks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's fair and again I don't disagree with most of what you say as most of it does boil down to opinion. Even going by your statistics of good games vs bad that's still a little less than 50% of the games coming out being absolute trash, I personally can't rationalize continued spending of my money on a coin flip deciding whether I'm getting a garbage game.

When I was talking about the games that I'd purchased that were garbage I wasn't talking about indie games as I do enjoy those. Maybe I'm looking at indie games the wrong way then? I don't even consider them a part of the industry, I consider them good people flipping off the industry by doing with a few hundred dollars what the industry can't do with a few million. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Does anyone know if anyone out there is trying to tackle the 'cost of development' problem? It's snowballed to much larger then it should be IMO.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuma7 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On what console? How many consoles do I need to own and how many thousands of dollars did you spend to get to those "lots and lots of good games" because I can only name maybe 5 games in the past 5 years that werent dogshit and werent a rehash of a popular IP like Final fantasy/Disgaea/Fallout
You could own a ps3 and play the exclusives alone (which are generally very good, uncharted 1-3, the last of us is coming out, god of war 3, dark souls/demons souls, this list can go on longer, but i think the bottom line is you think pretty much all games are shit. That's your opinion. I think it's incorrect, but im not going to change your mind on that.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrocks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You could own a ps3 and play the exclusives alone (which are generally very good, uncharted 1-3, the last of us is coming out, god of war 3, dark souls/demons souls, this list can go on longer, but i think the bottom line is you think pretty much all games are shit. That's your opinion. I think it's incorrect, but im not going to change your mind on that.
Let me just finish my point on this because its turning into bickering.

Do you ever think they will stop making Final Fantasy games?

Rhetorical question, the obvious answer, is no.

The real question is, why should they stop making them?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Oh and I forgot to point out you just named 2/3 games that are rehashes of popular IPs.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Banned

Every review I read about Dark Souls said that it was nothing but a terrible Zelda clone. I haven't played God of War because I don't give Sony my money, regardless that style of game much like Devil May Cry just isn't my style.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not nearly enough options. cant vote

if i did i would say we are in the ending phase of a technology race between developers to get their new shiny shit out as fast as possible and lure kids in with graphix and toys

thats still going on (hurr durr look at how much money we spent on lara croft's hair) but today we are seeing more success and longevity in those games with huge worlds, heavy content, or enormous potential for customization .. hell we are even still playing the original classics

devs must be noticing and discussing it

maybe im being too optimistic, but yeah, i think as more gamers get fed up with lack of content and become vocal about it, devs will start responding. either that or these gamers will just grow up and design their own shit
free the code, and our asses will follow. Subscription games willbe a luxury item we will checkout; pay toplay games will all turn into games about farming; and gamers, mainly?

This here is the future. We will go were the lore and content is, and be able to "flash populate" servers.

Really, all of us are bored with "Big Games" right? -- we just want reliable, solid worlds with populations and solid mechanics and content. No need to go through the big companies for much longer.

Yes, I coined the phrase, "flash populations." And you are there...