Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Sarnak

Default Emmin solos Khelkar Icepaw

I apologize in advance if this ends up being a little long. I'm going to write this in the spirit of the solo artist challenge (https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=80165) since that's what inspired me to even attempt this. I play on a Mac, so no fraps. You'll have to settle for screenshots.

First, I clarified a couple of questions about Khelkar from earlier in this thread before I actually fought him: 1. Dictate will not land on him, so he must actually be level 59 like the wiki says; 2. If you cast recant magic on him after rapture, it strips off the rapture, so it isn't possible to debuff him after rapture/slow; 3. You cannot recover items given to dogs that aren't pets. I tested this by giving a dubious con icepaw a torch, then killing him after and the torch wasn't in his loot table. It's unclear if he actually equipped it, though, because the dogs in Velks don't show weapons in their hands when equipped. I didn't think it was worth it to give Khelkar some -MR items because of this.

I wondered if there was a better high level pet in the zone than a champion since during my attempt about a week ago, Khelkar had about 60% hp left after slaughtering my first champion pet (he was slowed, too). I tried the golems and gargoyles near the castle (I wondered if the wiki level ranges were accurate), but charm wouldn't land on them so they're actually 54+. I then tried the frost spectre near Lord Bob (thanks for the suggestion, Izmael) and he can actually be charmed with Boltran's. The wiki says that a champion has 3k more hp than the frost spectre, so I wasn't sure if he'd actually be a better pet than a champ. To figure this out, I had him fight a champ and it wasn't even close. The champ died when the spectre still had ~40% hp. He has a quick-cast 240-something lifetap that he uses quite a bit as well as a harmtouch. That ended up making a huge difference when I actually fought Khelkar.

I assumed that I'd need to chain a few pets in order to solo Khelkar so I pre-buffed (and torched) the champion and warrior in the room next to Khelkar's with tash, VoG, umbra, and rune V, thinking I'd keep them calmed during the whole fight. This actually made the fight more difficult than it needed to be since I didn't actually need that many pets. I also had a caster dog in the room below that I could use for ToT. I pulled out all the stops on my spectre pet: right before starting the fight I torched him and gave him umbra, rune V, epic haste, feedback and boon of the garou.

On to the actual fight. I had one aborted attempt on Khelkar (after calming the dogs in his room) since all three of my slows after rapture+tash were resisted. I blurred him and started over. On the next attempt, I again went with rapture+tash+forlorn deeds and it landed on the first cast, then BoF+tash again to lower my aggro. Then the fight was on! Here's a screenshot right after the initial engage:

EQ000095.jpg

I sat and watched the show, ToTing the dog down below whenever I could. I was also basically chain casting calm on the other dogs in the room because I was so paranoid that it was going to wear off. Amazingly, my pet was actually keeping even with him towards the beginning of the fight with all his lifetaps

EQ000096.jpg

Right at 2 min after landing my first slow (I kept a timer going) I started attempting to re-slow him. It landed on the second cast. He was at about 50% at this point. Here's a screenshot right after landing the second slow:

EQ000097.jpg

He finally started to pull away from my pet towards the end. It ended up dying when Khelkar was right around 10% hp. Right before my pet died, I backed him off and told him to sit, hoping Khelkar would burn his summon and backstabs on my pet instead of on me, and it worked! Unfortunately I didn't get any screenshots of this because I was panicking at this point. I then clicked my wand on the champion in the room and sent him in. Right about then I realized that I forgot to blur him after landing the second slow so I had a whole bunch of aggro built up and my pet couldn't pull him off of me. He actually enraged at this point, but since he was busy beating on me my pet was able to keep working on him. Finally, enrage wore off and my pet peeled him off of me:

EQ000098.jpg

Dead dog:

EQ000099.jpg
Old 07-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Sarnak

Default Emmin solos Khelkar Icepaw part 2

And sweet loot:

EQ000100.jpg

In hindsight, I'm thinking the spectre pet could've soloed him the whole way if I had tossed him a few runes during the fight. He would've done even better if I gave him a tola robe. By the way.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pics or it didnt happen, first one to solo this guy with only self buffs gets my Tola robe
I'll take my tola robe now, please! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This was definitely a fun fight. The rest of you solo enchanter enthusiasts should test your mettle and give it a go yourselves!

EQ000103.jpg
Old 07-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Well done.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Excellent fight.

God bless the Solo Artist Challenge, and solo artists everywhere =D

I'm still curious how much a set of bronze armor on your pet would have affected his damage taken. Or if, assuming you had mana to spare, you could spare cripple and/or insipid strength to stick on Kelkar too. One of these days I'm going to bribe a cleric into testing that stuff with me, since Drumas keeps refusing to help me just out of the kindness of his heart!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Sarnak

Nice stuff Emmin, grats on the kill.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Fire Giant

Gratz Emmin, impressive stuff. When he was enraged on you did he not even fully chew thru Runes?

Wonder what ever happened to the plans for Solo Artist Challenge Part 2. Would be cool if we had an active replica of the first SAC, with the same ranking and same system of notating what clickies/buffs/pull methods was used, but with an updated mob list adding mobs like Khelkar and subtracting mobs that needed to be invis pulled etc
Old 07-08-2017, 03:20 PM
Sarnak

He went through bedlam, but not rune V. I think he got 2 rounds of melee on me then, so they must not have been for max damage. I REALLY like the idea of an updated SAC. Only problem is, no one knowledgeable enough is willing to take the initiative to come up with an updated list (me included). I suppose this kill would've been classified as an S- since I used my wand of allure. I think I'll try it again at some point to see if I can do it without the wand.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

Solid brag. Grats on his best loot piece, too (lute is nice but takes some extensive tunnelquesting to sell).
Old 07-08-2017, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

If someone wants to take over whatever I started on SAC2, including the (free) wordpress site, hit me up.

I'm just way too busy these days with the cryptocurrencies bubble to play EQ.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Banned

Grats, awesome work and documentation Emmin.

I only have one thought left after seeing these pictures of a werewolf enchanter forcing a werewolf spectre to fight a kobold.

IT A DOG EAT DOG WORLD
Closed Thread