Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Back on live there was an instance where someone got ahold of a character/account, deleted the high level characters and started new ones with the same name. Not to give anyone ideas, but is this nastier to recover from?
I'd guess it hardly makes a difference, mostly based on this: http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36026
Old 07-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Sarnak

i have 1 question, currently 1 of my characters who i leveled up completely is on a friends eqemu account, would i have to get the eqemu info to add my cell phone or i wouldnt be able to play that character?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Orc

Cool in theory, but some of us just plain don't have a phone. I exist purely by email/net right now (long story). Any way to make it a web thing, not a phone thing? If not my only option is going to be to pick a random phone booth and give you that number lol.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No one hacked into any database. L2packet.
hot pocket?!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Kobold

What about people without cell phones? Just curious. Will I be unable to play any more just because I dont have one?

edit: nevermind. I just read that rogean will physically call the US numbers that dont have cell phones. Although.. this seems like a LOT of work.
Last edited by Arkyani; 07-21-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Sarnak

Sooo if I say I don't have a cell phone, I get to talk to Rogean?

omg let's trade cupcake recipes!~
Old 07-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

while i think the idea is cool..

i wouldnt implement it. just because it would dissuade new players from joining the server.

if i stumbled upon the EQEMU project and was considering firing up a 11 year old game for a nostalgia kick (little do they know their soul will belong to Rogean for the next 2 years) i wouldn't want to start out by giving my phone number to some random guys i don't know.

seriously... what's the problem with using email? make it OPTIONAL to even use this phone # password-reset-system. then only the ppl who are afraid of losing their account will sign up (which will admittedly be not many ppl) and then they can cry about it if it actually does happen.

maybe make a reminder for ppl every once in awhile, or each time their character dings levels between 50 and 60, it could give a message suggesting they do it. This will give new players some time to play and build trust in the server and the project. (i guess this could only apply to the servers you run yourself rogean, but still..)

SO: please make it optional and not mandatory. in the interest of getting new players into the game. (maybe you could make it mandatory just for p1999/red99 to have a character over level 50 or something)
Last edited by Pudge; 07-23-2011 at 02:25 PM..
Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

Seeing how difficult it is currently to get a password reset on a stolen account I fully support this SMS account authentication.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:44 AM
Aviak

Some of us are serving overseas and don't have access to cell phones.... Hopefully some type of exception can be made in the unlikely event that a password reset ends up being needed.

Thanks!
Last edited by naexus; 07-24-2011 at 02:58 AM..
Old 07-24-2011, 04:35 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felwithemagi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Disagree. I prefer not to give out my phone number to anyone. The assumption that everyone gives out their number is false. You have 100 other methods of verifying who I am -- so please don't make this mandatory.

I will pay for a fob or a software based key gen if needed.

This right here
Closed Thread