Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:26 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This right here
People are acting like Rogean and crew are asking for their SSN. Every MMO requires name, address and phone number at a minimum. You can even make a free Google Voice account (USA only I think) and use that number.

What is the big deal?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Kobold

The big deal is people without cell phones. I'd gladly give my name and address, but I cant give a cell phone number.

Also, any new people coming to the server will see they have to provide their cell phone and decide its not worth it. This will decimate the future of p1999 by not only excluding those who choose not to have cell phones, but with the amount of people already who would rather not give out their personal information to a emu server I could only imagine that would add up to hundreds of potential new players in the future lost if not more.

I know for a fact if p1999 had this system in place before I joined here I would of never signed up.
Last edited by Arkyani; 07-24-2011 at 08:33 AM..
Old 07-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Fire Giant

Sounds good, except a phone alternative would be nice..
Old 07-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

Lol so many crybabies...wow.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Planar Protector

The idea is solid simply to add another layer of security to an account for those that want it. The people that opt-in for that sort of thing generally aren't the ones that cry about their accounts getting "hacked" in the first place however.

While I personally would use this system on my accounts for login verification, just for peace of mind, I can understand the objections to it. The EQEmu community isn't, in my opinion, very "noob" friendly in terms of setting up to play here. Adding this in will surely dissuade some new/current players. Just look at all of the people crying about not having a cell phone because they couldn't make it through reading an entire post first.

Now, that brings me to another point. If people are simply going to use free VoIP alternatives, such as throw-away Google voice accounts, it really defeats the original purpose of personal identification and password recovery. Quite simply, it will be just as likely someone loses their account information for the VoIP as it was them losing their email info, which in Google's case, is one in the same.

I still think it's a solid idea, though I'm going to have to side with the people that want it to be entirely optional. Putting in an opt-out option on the account creation process with a disclaimer warning that it's not advised and that the account will likely be unrecoverable if passwords are lost is a better alternative to this being mandatory.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Orc

So much reading failure in this thread.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardalicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The idea is solid simply to add another layer of security to an account for those that want it. The people that opt-in for that sort of thing generally aren't the ones that cry about their accounts getting "hacked" in the first place however.

While I personally would use this system on my accounts for login verification, just for peace of mind, I can understand the objections to it. The EQEmu community isn't, in my opinion, very "noob" friendly in terms of setting up to play here. Adding this in will surely dissuade some new/current players. Just look at all of the people crying about not having a cell phone because they couldn't make it through reading an entire post first.

Now, that brings me to another point. If people are simply going to use free VoIP alternatives, such as throw-away Google voice accounts, it really defeats the original purpose of personal identification and password recovery. Quite simply, it will be just as likely someone loses their account information for the VoIP as it was them losing their email info, which in Google's case, is one in the same.

I still think it's a solid idea, though I'm going to have to side with the people that want it to be entirely optional. Putting in an opt-out option on the account creation process with a disclaimer warning that it's not advised and that the account will likely be unrecoverable if passwords are lost is a better alternative to this being mandatory.
this
Old 07-25-2011, 06:12 AM
Sarnak

I'm kind of shocked at how many people are paranoid about using their phone number. I'm pretty paranoid about posting shit online that can ID me, but I don't see the issue here. Hell, I'd almost not even be concerned about posting my phone number on this forum for everyone to see. Almost.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people acting paranoid use the same password for P99 as they do for their e-mail or some other important stuff, lol.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

Maybe we can all be texting buddies ~
Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Aviak

I'm in favor of this. My fiancee and I quit playing about a year ago and I just recently came back. I gave most of my stuff away when I quit (oops), but she did not. She had intended to, but the person she was going to give her stuff to never logged on.

At any rate, she has no idea what her password was, and the lack of a password recovery system is disheartening. She put in a lot of work gearing her main and alt (as did I) and we can no longer access any of it.

I don't personally care about giving my cell phone number away (except when Karsten uses it to call me at 4am, which HAS happened), but I am sympathetic to those that do care or don't have one to give, as well as people abroad. Opt-in seems like a swell idea to me if it would work.

Has the "what if you get a new cell phone number" question been asked/answered yet? I'm browsing on my droid so maybe I just missed it. Is there a way to change the number set to your account? If so, how would a "hacker" be prohibited from replacing your number with theirs?
Closed Thread