Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 04:44 PM
Sarnak

Default Jeldorin vs fungi

Which would be better? Assuming you also have dw helm.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:47 PM
Planar Protector

Fungi is 150HP per minute.

Jeldorin is 162HP per proc.

If you average more than one proc per minute, Jeldorin will heal you faster. However, you must be in combat to proc it. So I would say Fungi is generally better, unless your playstyle/preferred combat locations give you a constant stream of mobs to whack at.

EDIT: For example, if you almost always group, and those groups generally pull a lot of mobs (Like Karnors Castle or the Hole), Jeldorin might be better if you can average one proc a minute, just in terms of pure ability to heal yourself. If you like to solo for a decent portion of your playtime, or your grouping situations tend to have slower pulls, then Fungi would be better. This is why I say Fungi is generally better, as it works well in all situations, where Jeldorin is only better in a specific scenario. Obviously having both is best, but the way you pose the question makes me assume you can only afford one right now[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you think you do fit into the "constant stream of mobs" model, I would advise equipping a 1h proc weapon and record how many times per hour you proc it. If you generally get more than 1 proc per minute, then Jeldorin might be a good option, otherwise go Fungi.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-01-2021 at 05:09 PM..
Old 01-01-2021, 05:38 PM
Fire Giant

Check and see if it corpse procs, if not sell the fungi and a small piece of your soul for a pre nerf elder beads.. proc all day long.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

It depends what else you have. A 19/24 1h is pretty low damage compared to a narandi or reaver. It’s prob close to the SK epic though and I see people soloing a lot with that. However the SK proc not only heals you quite a bit but adds 8.3dps to the white damage.

I have a Jeldorin and mostly just use it to tank with more than one group. Even with one proc a fight and the hps on it that’s a total of 237hps (if not stam capped). If you get multiple procs a fight on a slowed mob the hp replacement might be enough to eek out another second for CH to land or allow you to stay ahead of torp so spots can land. This is where a fungi can’t compare, 2.5 hps a second won’t likely be enough to keep you upright. It’s healer efficiency though. Likewise even at 2ppm a Jeldorin is twice the healer efficiency as a fungi, assuming your meleeing the entire time.

The more your own dps matters with anything hitting hard the more I favor a good 2h. Especially if I’m trying to solo something. Without a dex buff had the Jeldorin proc 9 times on a Freeport guard (so 10+ the fungi healing in the same time), I’ve had it proc no times on Faydedar. Thems the dice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Note: I know a lot of this is anecdotal. Procs are random. Even the sk example of 8.3dps is just while rolling, until the proc it does no healing or damage. Much of that is post-death of the mob. My gut has always just favored killing something faster when possible unless you are a substantial amount of the dps going into the target. A drolvarg hits for almost as hard as the proc heals so you better hope for a lot of those to go off if going toe-to-toe. If you have a ench pet doing 200dps your own 25 vs 45 (or whatever) won’t matter as much as surviving.
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-02-2021 at 01:51 PM..
Old 01-02-2021, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It depends what else you have. A 19/24 1h is pretty low damage compared to a narandi or reaver. It’s prob close to the SK epic though and I see people soloing a lot with that. However the SK proc not only heals you quite a bit but adds 8.3dps to the white damage.

I have a Jeldorin and mostly just use it to tank with more than one group. Even with one proc a fight and the hps on it that’s a total of 237hps (if not stam capped). If you get multiple procs a fight on a slowed mob the hp replacement might be enough to eek out another second for CH to land or allow you to stay ahead of torp so spots can land. This is where a fungi can’t compare, 2.5 hps a second won’t likely be enough to keep you upright. It’s healer efficiency though. Likewise even at 2ppm a Jeldorin is twice the healer efficiency as a fungi, assuming your meleeing the entire time.

The more your own dps matters with anything hitting hard the more I favor a good 2h. Especially if I’m trying to solo something. Without a dex buff had the Jeldorin proc 9 times on a Freeport guard (so 10+ the fungi healing in the same time), I’ve had it proc no times on Faydedar. Thems the dice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Note: I know a lot of this is anecdotal. Procs are random. Even the sk example of 8.3dps is just while rolling, until the proc it does no healing or damage. Much of that is post-death of the mob. My gut has always just favored killing something faster when possible unless you are a substantial amount of the dps going into the target. A drolvarg hits for almost as hard as the proc heals so you better hope for a lot of those to go off if going toe-to-toe. If you have a ench pet doing 200dps your own 25 vs 45 (or whatever) won’t matter as much as surviving.
Very good points here. Jeldorin is basically just an Ebon Mace with a good proc. Ebon Mace is a good item, but it is not great by any means, and SKs will replace it at higher levels. The loss in DPS is a big factor to consider, because longer fights mean more HP lost. So you may end up losing more HP anyway, even if you get an average of 1 proc per minute. This may be even more noticeable on a Paladin, since their DPS is lower than an SKs, so losing DPS may be a bigger issue. Jeldorin is probably best used in groups, when the Tank's DPS isn't a major factor in kill speed. That way you can stay topped up more often, saving the healer mana.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:59 PM
Planar Protector

Neither are worth the money if you're grinding away in generic experience groups.

Jeldorin is really good for jobs like duo'ing with an Enchanter (100 dex from Boon helps) or other situations where lasting is more important than damage dealt. It can also help keep a player alive somewhat through weak to moderate raid area-effect damage. Won't save you vs. the high-damage effects though. If you're solo'ing you may as well buy a Deepwater Breastplaste instead. It's cheaper and heals faster. Fungus tunic is at its best for brute force powering through low-mid levels. At high levels a Paladin doesn't necessarily need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s prob close to the SK epic though and I see people soloing a lot with that.
On my Shadow Knight I do quite a bit more damage with Innoruuk's Curse than with a 19/25 1H weapon. Epic proc and 2H damage bonus count for a lot, with a slight additional gain from higher riposte damage. 'Course that's hardly a concern for a Paladin! Of the weapons Paladins have available, some of the very best droppable 2H might be preferred for solo'ing but in groups I'd use the Jeldorin fulltime over anything obtained prior to Temple Veeshan-level loot. Historically I situationally used a Jeldorin even into Planes of Power era since it saw benefit from the Luclin-era healing Alt. Advance abilities.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 01-02-2021 at 03:24 PM..
Old 01-02-2021, 05:47 PM
Sarnak

Fungi is great for soloing, the value of having it always on while you move is far better than hoping for Jeldorin proc luck IMO. Neither is very good for grouping compared to alternatives.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Old 01-02-2021, 06:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On my Shadow Knight I do quite a bit more damage with Innoruuk's Curse than with a 19/25 1H weapon. Epic proc and 2H damage bonus count for a lot, with a slight additional gain from higher riposte damage. 'Course that's hardly a concern for a Paladin! Of the weapons Paladins have available, some of the very best droppable 2H might be preferred for solo'ing but in groups I'd use the Jeldorin fulltime over anything obtained prior to Temple Veeshan-level loot. Historically I situationally used a Jeldorin even into Planes of Power era since it saw benefit from the Luclin-era healing Alt. Advance abilities.

Danth
Good to know [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. Yea the sk epic is amazing; prob even more so with the 2h changes. It would take a lot to justify not using in most situations since crosses over from tanking to low aggro dps so fluidly.

The Jeldorin is probably the best non-raider tank weapon for a paladin (and closest comparative to the sk epic). Something to likely look at once your fine tuning gear, especially as a non-raider having to rely on the tunnel. Leveling up a fungi and DW helm or DW BP and 2h will get you there much quicker.

In the end knights are there to snap and hold aggro. A bit of pulling on occasion and once in a while pull off a trick to save the group. If your paying attention nobody cares what weapon you are using.
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-02-2021 at 06:14 PM..
Old 01-04-2021, 01:57 PM
Fire Giant

I still prefer both the paladin and SK epic. The paladin epic seems to get slept on a lot but that thing procs like crazy for me. When i'm soloing it's not surprising when i get 6 procs in a fight.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Proc rates are all the same (normalized procs per minute, swing rate impacts proc chance per swing tho). The FD is a really nice weapon, I use it all the time still for lazy aggro and bashes. The stats on it are great too.
Closed Thread