Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 01-01-2024, 08:58 PM
Fire Giant

Oh yeah pre 60 shamans might as well not even exist in optimized caster parties. Pre 60 no raid gear no rare clickies? Enc/nec/clr with a pity 4th pick
Old 01-01-2024, 09:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hands up who is lvl 60 and has torpor that wants to test this theory?
Desperately Slandering Mages is not included in this. No group would last long enough to prove it eithwr way.
At 60 you are not xping unless you take a few deaths. So none of the lvl60 sham with torpor are even gonna wanna do this.
This is/was for xp groups, not lvl 60's with full spell books parallel playing like you are extolling the virtue of.

Ok we get it, a sham wiff all spells and torpor can do wonderful stuff. A necro at all lvl stages can do virrually ALL the same things with slight mana efficiency differences. (As they can at other lvls. Better lich better taps etc)
Lvl 60 necro gets a better lich and another undead charm?

Lvl60 shm gets (a chance at) torpor, the class defining spell. Before then they just a 5th wheel that can do a few things (that other classes also do) acceptably.
A sub60 or torporless 60 sham is just an inefficient cleric, a fat non charming chanter or a low dps malo mage replacement.
I agree that level 60's generally aren't farming trash mobs. Realistically you don't need the extra DPS from a Mage when killing named mobs, the mobs are going to die quickly anyway. You won't save enough time per kill to get another kill in a singe session either.

The topic usually gets changed to killing trash mobs as a deflection tactic from people trying to claim Mages are going to offer something significant to the group in the endgame. This is because they cannot counter the point above. Torpor Shamans offer much more to an endgame group than Mages.

The point of leveling is to get to 60 and farm endgame content. If your group only gets to level 40 and stops playing, group composition is honestly irrelevant. Just about any 4 player group is going to destroy all level 1-39 mobs, because they are already very easy. This is why you can level up a twinked monk from level 30-40 in like 10 hours or less. You could probably get to level 40 quickly with 4 rogues. Just have a lot of bandages and switch who is tanking after each kill.

If you actually care about your group composition, then you are probably planning on getting to 60. A Shaman is a much better long term investment for the group and the individual player than a Mage. A four man group is going to reach 60 quickly anyway, whether you take the Shaman or the Mage.

EDIT: Enchanters need expensive spells as well, this isn't exclusive to Shamans. If your group can pool their resources to afford 3 copies of all the expensive Enchanter spells in a Ench/Ench/Ench/Cleric group, they could buy Torpor for the Shaman. Spell cost isn't a very good argument when you are using Enchanters as a class.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-01-2024 at 09:14 PM..
Old 01-01-2024, 09:18 PM
Fire Giant

So what’s the highest value stuff a theoretical 4 man group could take, maybe it’s better to see what is out there and then design a group around that
Old 01-01-2024, 10:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So what’s the highest value stuff a theoretical 4 man group could take, maybe it’s better to see what is out there and then design a group around that
Monk/Shaman/Enchanter is one of the best trios out there. It can handle any single group content that doesn't require a Warrior using Disciplines as far as I know. It's a good template. That is why Necromancer/Shaman/Enchanter is what I would pick for the first 3. Shamans and Enchanters are the two best solo classes in the game. Putting them together means your group can do everything those two classes can solo, and more when they are grouped. Necromancers are also very good solo classes, especially in undead zones.

The fourth member is a bit harder to pick when restricted to caster/priest, because there is a good chance that one or more players have a pocket Wizard, Mage, and/or Cleric already. On Blue especially, people have tons of alts.

Cleric is an easy choice for CHealing the pet and Aegolism as a generalist pick. Mage can be useful for a few CoTH pulls like Chardok Royals. Wizard would be useful if you want to go to Hate. In terms of how useful the class is at 60 for the individual player, I would lean towards picking the Cleric if they don't have a pocket Cleric already. That is what I suggested on page 1, Shaman/Necromancer/Enchanter/Cleric. You can make a pocket Mage and Wizard for CoTHs and ports if you don't have that already. It is a bit more annoying to swap the Wizard for ports, so you could do Wizard instead of Cleric if that is a serious pain point, and the specific player doesn't mind leveling a Wizard to 60.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-01-2024 at 10:22 PM..
Old 01-01-2024, 10:39 PM
Fire Giant

https://wiki.project1999.com/Solo_Artist_Challenge

group content challenges are at the bottom

vindi
faydedar
etc
etc

four man vindi? maybe
Old 01-01-2024, 11:28 PM
Planar Protector

I could be wrong but I always figured the scope of this thread was level 1 through level 60 and all content in between that could be done with 4 casters.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-02-2024, 12:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I could be wrong but I always figured the scope of this thread was level 1 through level 60 and all content in between that could be done with 4 casters.
OP never specified. The only rule OP gave was the title of the thread: "Best 4 person all caster/priest group". That is why I always found it odd when people added arbitrary rules, like no pocket clerics. OP never said you couldn't do that. OP only posted a few times in this thread, and they never added rules.

I've always been talking about the "Best 4 person all caster/priest group for endgame farming". This is because group composition matters the most during the endgame. A four person caster/priest group is going to level quickly in most cases. There is no problem with taking a Shaman, who isn't as strong early on. The Shaman is an investment in the future for when the group hits level 60. People don't seem to be too worried about spell costs either, because they want a group composition with 3 Enchanters and a Cleric. That group needs at least 90k if they want 3 copies of Bedlam, Dictate, and Forlorn Deeds, and 1 copy of Visions of Grandeur and Gift of Pure Thought. I say 1 copy of the last two spells, because you could save a bit of money by having a specific enchanter responsible for casting VoG and Gift of Pure Thought. If the players are able to pool 90k together for spells, they can buy Torpor for the Shaman.

If you are playing with casual players who typically get bored of leveling characters around level 50, then group composition really doesn't matter much. That is why I don't really talk about the "Best 4 person all caster/priest group for leveling", because honestly there are a lot of different compositions that will work equally well. 4 Mages would be just fine, for example, and be a lot of fun too.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-02-2024 at 12:49 AM..
Old 01-02-2024, 01:07 AM
Planar Protector

Go epic dot ya 5 mobs, send in torpored, hasted puppy dog and sit wiff da uva children asking intermittantly how they are going in /ooc.

Did I get that right?
Damn straight.
I fucken Nailed it.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:31 AM
Planar Protector

Did we arrive at a definitive answer yet? A quick summary of pages 1-461 would be great [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-02-2024, 03:15 AM
Planar Protector

Depends.
Meandering permanent group of 4 friends would start knowing that 2 chant 1 clr 1 doesnt matter but not wiz or dru is min/max. Buying expensive spells between them.

Lvl60's doing named camps 2 chant 1 clr 1 doesnt matter but not wiz (unless planes) or dru.

Choose mage if dependable burst dps is a priority.
Choose sham if you want a grouped soloer fencing off part of the sandbox playing with his 4 - 5 "friends" for mage like dps.