Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 11-11-2022, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even though something wasn't done,doesn't mean it wasn't possible.
I leveled my shadowknights to 49 before kunark dropped, I didn't know there was an xp penalty, I was 13
People know the game mechanics a lot more in depth now
Sure, Enchanters on live soloed Hate, so it was definitely possible ... during Planes of Power.

But show me any evidence that they did so even during the Luclin era (with AA's like Dire Charm, spells like KEI, etc.), let alone during the classic era.

I'm willing to bet $5 neither you, nor a good classic researcher, can even find such evidence ... despite Live having what: 10? 20? times as many servers as we have? All full of Necros wanting books, Mages wanting Hate staffs (even just per server, live had far more mages without epics than we have, because they didn't even know how the quest worked until Kunark was nearly done), and so on.

It's not that it wasn't done because it was possible, and no one tried it ... it wasn't done because things that are possible in our emulator weren't possible on live.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 11-11-2022 at 01:14 PM..
Old 11-11-2022, 01:17 PM
Banned

i'm willing to bet you didn't read the wiki
(lol)
Old 11-11-2022, 03:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure, Enchanters on live soloed Hate, so it was definitely possible ... during Planes of Power.

But show me any evidence that they did so even during the Luclin era (with AA's like Dire Charm, spells like KEI, etc.), let alone during the classic era.

I'm willing to bet $5 neither you, nor a good classic researcher, can even find such evidence ... despite Live having what: 10? 20? times as many servers as we have? All full of Necros wanting books, Mages wanting Hate staffs (even just per server, live had far more mages without epics than we have, because they didn't even know how the quest worked until Kunark was nearly done), and so on.

It's not that it wasn't done because it was possible, and no one tried it ... it wasn't done because things that are possible in our emulator weren't possible on live.
correct
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-11-2022, 04:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Have the last 20 years of people obsessing over this game meant nothing?

But seriously, all you have to do is look towards a community like speed-running. People are still breaking high scores and times for games released 40 years ago. (Pac-Man, Donkey Kong)

It's because the more time something is out, the more people will eventually pick it up and tinker with it. And then someone figures out some trick that no-one thought of before and starts using it. And that trick gets passed down - and then more time goes by, and someone else picks up the trick and starts tinkering with it. And then someone figures out some trick that no-one thought of before and starts using it. And that trick gets passed down - and then more time goes by, and someone else picks up the trick and starts tinkering with it. And then someone figures out some trick that no-one thought of before and starts using it....

It's far inside the realm of possibility that people are using tricks now that nobody thought of, and are using them to cheese aspects of this game.

I certainly hope that's the case, and not that people are just recycling the same tactics from 23 years ago when servers had thousands of concurrent players at a time
Old 11-11-2022, 06:25 PM
Sarnak

Love that as soon as you make a thread about an enchanter you know the two crazies about to derail it with their "enchanters need to be nerfed shit" without fail.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:54 PM
Planar Protector

Money Plane > Hate Plane. Just ask Darius Emmanuel Grouch The Third better known as The Rumble.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

TLDR: Whiney post about how peoples’ laggy internet connections and laggy computers in general plus lack of game knowledge means something must be incorrect in mechanics today.

There are countless camps on P99 that are constantly camped, but were rarely camped anywhere near this extent on live. That must mean the drops in those camps are unclassic on this server.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:24 AM
Planar Protector

book not up
Old 11-12-2022, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TLDR: Whiney post about how peoples’ laggy internet connections and laggy computers in general plus lack of game knowledge means something must be incorrect in mechanics today.

There are countless camps on P99 that are constantly camped, but were rarely camped anywhere near this extent on live. That must mean the drops in those camps are unclassic on this server.
People's laggy internet connections were part of the classic game (ie. the one we're emulating here). The staff added the 25 mob AoE limit precisely because of people's laggy internet connections, because that made our emulated game more classic.

But again, you don't need laggy Internet connections (or some facsimile like the 25 mob rule) to explain the unclassic behavior ... when we already know the relevant rules are unclassic.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:34 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]