Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx

Was the entire monitor black or only within the windowed EQ? Most remote desktop apps i've used have a "Black monitor on connect" feature which blacks out your entire monitor, but still allows the person on the other end to see everything perfectly. If your entire screen went black, the IT guy probably could still see what was up on your desktop.

At the same time though, I too have had DirectX display issues with windowed EQ going black while trying to use certain remote desktop apps. So who knows.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Kobold

If you guys have a webfilter or firewall, then your network traffic is being logged. Looked at constantly? I highly doubt it.

From what I understand of your post, whoever remoted into your computer closed the game out. That means they saw the title of the window, which by default is 'EverQuest' - unless you're using a 3rd party mod. If the IT person didn't know what that was, google probably explained it to them quickly enough.

Answering your original question - yes, yes it is.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddfx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was the entire monitor black or only within the windowed EQ? Most remote desktop apps i've used have a "Black monitor on connect" feature which blacks out your entire monitor, but still allows the person on the other end to see everything perfectly. If your entire screen went black, the IT guy probably could still see what was up on your desktop.

At the same time though, I too have had DirectX display issues with windowed EQ going black while trying to use certain remote desktop apps. So who knows.
Just the windowed EQ went black. I've been there before when they've remoted in and usually I can still see everything perfectly.

Quote:
I also find it odd that he just remoted into your machine like that. I've worked for 2 companies large enough to have an IT staff that would make use of remote assistance, and both of them had a policy that IT staff had to call and get your permission before dialing in.
This is a good point. I also found that strange as we too have that policy, because reason being, it IS a hospital as Rogean explained...lol. So technically, whoever it was didn't follow policy and just jumped right in without calling me first. Needless to say, they didn't stay long when they realized I was fighting for the cursor, rofl!

Quote:
From what I understand of your post, whoever remoted into your computer closed the game out. That means they saw the title of the window, which by default is 'EverQuest' - unless you're using a 3rd party mod. If the IT person didn't know what that was, google probably explained it to them quickly enough.
This is true, because I wasn't using anything to camouflage it, just windowed so I can minimize in a hurry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. I honestly don't think they would've taken the time for googling EQ though, but who knows. Guess it just depends on how bored they really were.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Sarnak

are there any "gamers" in IT that you can befriend from scowling to amiable? I hear that IT folks like donuts Xena tapes and Hot-Pockets.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Engraverwilliam; 05-03-2011 at 02:09 PM..
Old 05-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Kobold

It's Xena, good try though.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's Xena, good try though.
Didn't think that look right. Fixed thank you.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Sarnak

yeah sometimes being the sys admin + having your own office pays off when it comes to gaming at work haha

I'm pretty lenient to my users. As long as you're not hogging bandwidth or constantly getting viruses, I leave you alone. Them playing games at work isn't my problem, their managers can deal with that. If the manager asks me to investigate them, sure... otherwise I don't proactively spy on users as their day to day performance isn't my problem.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Orc

Smile

It is absolutely traceable - whether it's running, for how long, how often, etc. I can think of two management packages which will do that, that I've used when directed to by Legal.

As someone said though - IT general does not, and should not, be in the middle of disciplinary items like that and also, at least in my case, I do not have time to pro-actively track down violations of the acceptable use policy. If it comes to my attention, I'd have to take action - but other than that, there are a million other things to do, trust me.

Like chasing malware. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engraverwilliam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
are there any "gamers" in IT that you can befriend from scowling to amiable? I hear that IT folks like donuts Xena tapes and Hot-Pockets.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yes^

I used to play at work bypassing the corporate proxy/firewall using a hacked Linksys NSLU2 at my house running a proxy. most halfass intelligent IT departments will block ssh ports, so connect through port 442 (https). my problems with the IT department blocking my ports seemed to end there, because they couldn't block https i don't think.

get the fattest upload you can for your proxy bot at home.

pesky admin passwords getting you down? search the net for Back Track windows password cracking tutorials [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Desert; 05-07-2011 at 06:00 PM..
Old 05-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Fire Giant

if they experience network slowdowns they may look for the cause, which would point to you pretty quick if you're using a reasonable amount of bandwidth