Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-25-2016, 01:05 PM
Large Rat

If there is a legitimate technical reason that the models are disabled, that can be proved, then there's no reason to debate it. But 99% of the reason people give to not allow Luclin models is because they don't like it. That's not a reason... it's cosmetic. That's like going up to someone who has a red car and telling them they can't have a red car because you like blue. "I don't like it so no one should have it" is not a valid reason.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If there is a legitimate technical reason that the models are disabled, that can be proved, then there's no reason to debate it.
I believe some of the luclin models are taller than their classic counterparts, so you can get to different spots/jump higher in certain places (so technically an exploit). Not sure which models or where these spots are since I haven't used the luclin models in years, but I remember someone mentioning that somewhere on here. The geometry on some of them is definitely different from classic, though, so I can see where you might use them to get into places you otherwise couldn't reach.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 10-25-2016, 01:26 PM
Sarnak

Yeah since the new method seems legit (cant make skeletons human to exploit or something like that) ive been using the luclin models on and off. Ive been doing things like adding dx9 features like bloom and motion blur (which fixed the incredible frame skipping with shadows issue), upgraded the textures to the HQ ones, new water in old zones, alternative spell effects, changed windows midi sound font, and put in the old loading screen/character select/combat music. The gameplay is still classic but it looks so much better on the eyes. This is everything I ever wanted. I couldnt get into the game back then because I couldnt stand how it looked. Now it looks so much better so I can enjoy the classic difficulty without the eyerape. This has to be my favorite mmo sofar.
Last edited by A1rh3ad; 10-25-2016 at 01:30 PM..
Old 10-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I believe some of the luclin models are taller than their classic counterparts, so you can get to different spots/jump higher in certain places (so technically an exploit). Not sure which models or where these spots are since I haven't used the luclin models in years, but I remember someone mentioning that somewhere on here. The geometry on some of them is definitely different from classic, though, so I can see where you might use them to get into places you otherwise couldn't reach.
I didn't happen to see that all I saw was something about the pvp being unfair. If that's true I suppose I could see why they want to directly control that. However, if it is because of pvp it shouldn't really matter on a blue server.

Although I can't see how a client side cosmetic change would effect collision or hit boxes.

I've also noticed that there are posts to make graphical changes such as the magician pet model (old model with better textures), and the newer pet models are currently being used by default.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:06 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1rh3ad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah since the new method seems legit (cant make skeletons human to exploit or something like that) ive been using the luclin models on and off. Ive been doing things like adding dx9 features like bloom and motion blur (which fixed the incredible frame skipping with shadows issue), upgraded the textures to the HQ ones, new water in old zones, alternative spell effects, changed windows midi sound font, and put in the old loading screen/character select/combat music. The gameplay is still classic but it looks so much better on the eyes. This is everything I ever wanted. I couldnt get into the game back then because I couldnt stand how it looked. Now it looks so much better so I can enjoy the classic difficulty without the eyerape. This has to be my favorite mmo sofar.
Are you still able to use Luclin models? I tried to install them but it didn't work, even though I followed the directions.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:19 PM
Kobold

Sadly we cant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I wish we could as well.......
Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If there is a legitimate technical reason that the models are disabled, that can be proved, then there's no reason to debate it. But 99% of the reason people give to not allow Luclin models is because they don't like it. That's not a reason... it's cosmetic. That's like going up to someone who has a red car and telling them they can't have a red car because you like blue. "I don't like it so no one should have it" is not a valid reason.
It gave people on the PvP server a unfair advantage... all 50 of them so people exploiting it basically ruined it for all those that enjoyed the Luclin models.... I miss them already, I enjoyed the game sooooo much more and I know dam well im not the only one that feels that way lol, but hey its a free server recognized by Daybreak themselves so im not going to complain, just wish we could use them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Just want to say I have friends on this server that want me to play with them. But no luclin models was the deciding factor for me. Silly idea.. bad move.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:49 PM
Orc

It is definitely still possible to get Luclin models. I recall seeing a reddit thread on it not too long ago, and have been told by folks in game that they have them currently.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:29 AM
Large Rat

Doesnt work any more