Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

The problem was that something on the North Karana page was using the Template:Itempage template rather than Template:Itembox, I think.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

Well, after a bit more digging it looks like there have been a batch of changes to monsters in North Karana from a user named Davidj3416. They don't seem to be doing anything wrong except they change the "Class" of mobs from a proper class to something like "Undead" or "Monster".

Now again that seems harmless, but I thought it might be the problem, so I looked at one of the monsters that was changed: a lioness. A lioness got changed from Warrior to Monster, and that mob is shared between North and South Karana. North is broken, while South works, but here's the interesting part: South shows "a lioness" as having a class of Warrior.

In other words, it looks like South has old cached data for the lioness, which might be why it's working and NK isn't. However I'm not certain, so ... more digging (and possibly some mass reversion of Davidj3416's changes, at least temporarily).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

Well, if nothing else at least this whole mess helped me catch a lot of (accidental I'm sure) wiki damage. This guy changed hundreds of mobs from "Class: Warrior" to "Class: Monster", "Class: Undead" or other invalid classes.

I'm sure he was just trying to help, and I really want everyone to contribute to the wiki, but please everyone, if you're going to embark on a campaign of mass wiki changes please take the time to understand what you're changing first so you don't make the wiki worse with your edits!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 03-14-2018 at 12:51 PM..
Old 03-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, if nothing else at least this whole mess helped me catch a lot of (accidental I'm sure) wiki damage. This guy changed a ton of mobs from "Class: Warrior" to "Class: Monster", "Class: Undead" or other invalid classes.

I'm sure he was just trying to help, and I really want everyone to contribute to the wiki, but please everyone, if you're going to embark on a campaign of mass wiki changes please take the time to understand what you're changing first so you don't make the wiki worse with your edits!
Thank you for everything you do Loramin! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you for everything you do Loramin! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks. I need to do some real work now though, and while I've asked Davidj3416 to fix the classes he changed, this guy was a super-heavy wiki editor (which is awesome!) and changed hundreds of pages. At the same time though he added lots of information, so I can't just blindly rollback all of his changes; I have to go to each page he changed and edit it to restore the correct class.

As I said hundreds of mobs lost their class, so even if Davidj3416 answers my request there's a ton of work for us. So, if anyone has a few minutes to spare, it would be a HUGE help if you could please go to:

http://wiki.project1999.com/index.ph...=Davidj3416%7C

scroll down to "A Large Whiskered Bat" (that's where I left off), and just click through to each changed page. Edit it, set its class to the mob's actual EQ class ("Warrior" for 95+% of them), and then repeat for as many pages as you have time for.

Bonus points if you can post back here when you're done so the next person knows where in that giant list to pick up. If even a few people could just help fix just five or ten pages this way it would make a big dent.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I use my own nouns for different types of mobs. I call skeletons "boney bobs" and dragons "roary fires". This change needs to be implemented in the Wiki, therefore I will do an edit update en masse.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3r14k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I use my own nouns for different types of mobs. I call skeletons "boney bobs" and dragons "roary fires". This change needs to be implemented in the Wiki, therefore I will do an edit update en masse.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I really don't mean to bash Davidj3416 though. Unlike most players here he actually volunteered his own time to (mostly) improve the wiki, and I think we can all remember a time before we understood EverQuest well enough to realize the mobs had the same classes we did.

I see the whole thing as just a side effect of having a wiki: occasionally mistakes are made, but hopefully they're not too hard to set right ... especially if people are willing to help out a little (/plead).

Old 03-14-2018, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

Where does Davidj3416 generate these mob pages...
every mobs page I've ever seen started with something like: {{Namedmobpage
All of the ones he created start with: {{Mobstatsbox

May want to talk with him about standard formatting practices.

edit: *chin rubs*
http://wiki.project1999.com/Template:Mobstatsbox

Maybe this is where he got the idea?
vs.. http://wiki.project1999.com/Template:Namedmobpage

This makes me feel like it was only a matter of time. I know how inconsistent the wiki can be so i'm not too surprised.
Last edited by Baler; 03-14-2018 at 01:28 PM..
Old 03-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where does Davidj3416 generate these mob pages...
every mobs page I've ever seen started with something like: {{Namedmobpage
All of the ones he created start with: {{Mobstatsbox

May want to talk with him about standard formatting practices.

edit: *chin rubs*
http://wiki.project1999.com/Template:Mobstatsbox

Maybe this is where he got the idea?
Yeah whoever setup the templates in the wiki (and it may well have been multiple people) made a few versions, and didn't always clean up the old versions. It'd be a great future wiki clean-up project to get rid of all except the "official" one, but as long as whatever template he used looks ok I figure we have enough work for now just fixing the classes.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

He should have to clean up his own mess. If he's unwilling it should be undone.
That's my firm stance on this.

I'm happy to help but there are a lot of pages, that aren't using the same format as the rest of the wiki and the work to verify mob's class is equal to or more than just remaking any new pages he created in the first place.

It shouldn't fall into other people's laps, especially if this person is unwilling to fix their wrongs. (awaiting them to respond) Meaning well is good and all but doing a less than par job isn't up to snuff.

edit: He has about 808 commits to the wiki. (this includes same page changes)
editedit: He also changed some npc's race from their category to a generic category. Such as Wolf to Animal
http://wiki.project1999.com/index.ph...v&oldid=188668

edit: This all could be technically be considered trolling the wiki. I've seen other users who contributed a few things but also trolled a couple pages and they got banned.
just saying

final edit: made a backup of all his commits, so that if they are undone any new pages he created can be identified more easily for recreation.
https://pastebin.com/eme9zv3N
Last edited by Baler; 03-14-2018 at 02:00 PM..
Closed Thread