Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Fire Giant

Default Mage research

So the Mage research looks to be a serious PITA. Is this correct that I need to burn an actual spell for each combine to skill up research? It's hard enough buying spells once to use but I can't imagine having to burn one for every skillup. Someone in game told me he thought there was a way to raise skill without creating spells or something? Anyone know if this is true and if so...how?
Old 10-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Sarnak

Spend money with your trainer to raise the skill.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/ab9521a00...4dqyo1_250.gif
Old 10-17-2016, 08:05 AM
Fire Giant

You can also use practice runes:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Research#Practice_Runes

But since every practice rune has a component that can not be vendor bought, it can be even worse. Do what Nagash said, practice with trainer... but that will be *very* expensive at higher levels, so save money.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Planar Protector

The server is really top heavy, lots of people have been finding stuff to do here for many years.

I bet there are A LOT of people with max research skill mages that can help you out...

If raising your own skill is a preference for character progression then good luck!
Old 10-17-2016, 11:28 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah, I wanted to raise my own skill if possible but as an alt this isn't looking that doable unless I get some sort of plat windfall. If I raise skill by combines that will be expensive. If I use the trainer that will get expensive very fast as well. Wonder why mage research is so much more expensive/difficult than other casters. Oh well..I guess this really is as bad as I suspected. Thanks all for the info.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:23 AM
Fire Giant

Actually the cost to raise the skill with a trainer goes up approximately at the same rate that your money earning skills go up. At first its really cheap. So, it is doable even for a first char, you just have to prioritize it.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:14 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually the cost to raise the skill with a trainer goes up approximately at the same rate that your money earning skills go up. At first its really cheap. So, it is doable even for a first char, you just have to prioritize it.
Well..even if I max out at my trainer I will only be able to hit 45 in research by lvl 24 (iirc). The spells I need for that level (including my research only pets) are trivial at 62.

Apparently, this is no secret because those pages for 24 spells sell for silly amounts of plat. I had somebody wanting to charge me 200p for a single transcendence page. I did manage to find a couple at 50p but even that is pretty expensive at 24 when there is an expectation of failing the combines multiple times and the combines also includes the cost of a spell on top of that. Now repeat that for the pets and it's potentially quite expensive. Maybe I will get lucky and not fail but I'm not counting on that. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can also use practice runes:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Research#Practice_Runes

But since every practice rune has a component that can not be vendor bought, it can be even worse. Do what Nagash said, practice with trainer... but that will be *very* expensive at higher levels, so save money.
Cost me 1-2k on my enchanter to max. As a mage just spend a an hour at seafurys or sisters in lfay if you're a lower lvl. Go the trainer route. Makes it so simple.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:33 PM
Fire Giant

The struggle continues. Just blowing my skills (and plat) on research to keep it max but now I can't find *any* flame of vox for 29 pet. Anyone know where to get this? I have looked on vendors from NFP/WFP/EC/WC/misty/HPH/HK but not found a single one. Are there any vendor that sell this? Any mobs that reliably drop it?
Old 10-26-2016, 04:22 AM
Fire Giant

All the research stuff just drops randomly. Your best bet is to kill level appropriate mobs and check vendors in those zones. You can also auction ("WTB: Flame of vox") in those zones. Unfortunately sometimes you just wont get it in time.
Closed Thread