Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 05:28 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Another Laptop Temperature Issue

Hey everyone,

So I was considering piggybacking on the 'Mac Laptop Temperature' thread but since I'm not running a Mac it seemed inappropriate. Anyway I also am having heat problems -- twice the other night my computer died suddenly on me (everything went black, it just suddenly died) while playing and I suspect this is because the internal temperature exceeded the limit set by, if I'm not mistaken, the BIOS settings.

I don't play any other games, though I don't recall this happening so much when I was playing Half-Life 2: Episode 2 last Summer on this computer.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help 'diagnose' or solve this. For the record I am running on an HP Elitebook 2540p laptop.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

When was the last time you cleaned it out? Laptops are great at clogging themselves up. When mine gets to the point where I can hear the fans (usually after 9 months or so) I open it up and blow the heatsinks clear and it's all good again.

-Mcoy
Old 06-26-2020, 10:45 AM
Sarnak

What Mcoy is saying, nothing your describing that your doing is anything intensive part of the problem with most of these premium laptops is there is constantly thermal and power throttle because of the utter shit intel processors and there shit temps, I am team red on processors all the way. It sounds like you just need to pop the bottom open and give it some cleaning love, as well as a internal brushing so to speak.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:52 AM
Sarnak

Yeah if you have clogged dust in the fans than EQ will make it heat up. This game has a very old graphics engine that is very CPU driven, less GPU used.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:18 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I'll take a look inside and give that a shot, thanks. Though I think it looked pretty clean when I opened it up for another reason some days ago. Still I'll give it a second look.

I gotta say I'm surprised that a game this old could stress a modern laptop this much.