Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekova [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had a UI. A user interface. It was a java app that showed timers and stuff. It was on that second monitor, not "overlaid" on the everquest UI.

I think he's using the word "overlay" to mean data drawn on top of the everquest UI. That I didn't do.
Well, that is what we were arguing about. You had to have a second computer connected somehow to the main computer running EQ to display visual information. If you were running a basic text to voice it didn't require that. Hence my prolonged stubborn argument. There wouldn't be any screenshots because those original programs were just voice through the speakers. DING DING "The cool breeze fades". It's just reading aloud what the player didn't bother reading.

I am still curious what version of this was out in era and what were its capabilities. The Evolution in EQwatcher makes me think its an evolved version.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DING DING "The cool breeze fades". It's just reading aloud what the player didn't bother reading.
Except for the part about timers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am still curious what version of this was out in era and what were its capabilities.
I'm not. I popped in just to give my first-hand experience about log reading and timers in 1999. Hope you guys found the information useful and/or enlightening. Don't know that I have much more to add. Hope to see you guys on Green, looking forward to playing a sexy Ogre Shaman, or maybe a halfling cleric, or a Human ranger. Oh God the choices.
Last edited by dekova; 10-19-2019 at 09:30 PM..
Old 10-19-2019, 11:00 PM
Orc

GINA triggers was just an alert system that would let you know like: if "Soandso is enraged" trigger a specific sound. It was specifically more useful when you had to rely on Raid Targets saying a specific line before a big AE Rampage, GINA would see that message and play an alarm, in case you know you are usually slow to react to something like that.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekova [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Except for the part about timers.

I'm not. I popped in just to give my first-hand experience about log reading and timers in 1999. Hope you guys found the information useful and/or enlightening. Don't know that I have much more to add. Hope to see you guys on Green, looking forward to playing a sexy Ogre Shaman, or maybe a halfling cleric, or a Human ranger. Oh God the choices.
Sure, what I take away from this is there were parsers and timers in era. These would have been text to voice only, you wouldn't see a visible timer letting you know how much longer something has. You would get an audible message when its time though. A fellow player couldn't ask how much longer something has, only if its beeped yet.

In your case, you had some setup letting it work on a secondary computer. Very uncommon and I wouldn't accept this as fact. What I can accept as fact were the voice to text programs, which while they had some similar functions to GINA they did not provide what it does.

Also i would like to go back and address something brought up earlier in this thread, concerning voice chat.

Quote:
Some quick and important information about EQ [12.12.2003]

As many of you know, EverQuest is a horrible CPU hog. As fewer of you know, it doesn't need to be. EverQuest currently fights furiously with your computer to eat every possible nanosecond of CPU processing time. This is very bad for your system overall. For example, your CPU is generating much more heat than it should be, and can cause rampant overheating. Other applications are bullied around like school children giving up lunch money (including system drivers, for things like winmodems -- this prevents winmodem users from even PLAYING the game). What needs to happen, you ask? Very simple. As discovered and mentioned through more questionable methods, EverQuest has a "main loop", where it processes everything needed for EverQuest to function. It is this loop that runs continuously that refuses to yield the CPU even for necessary system functionality. The EQ dev team could insert the line "Sleep(0);" into the loop at any point, and this would give up enough CPU time for the system to function properly, without giving up any of your framerate. This would allow you to open up your web browser without it taking 10 minutes, it would allow winmodem users to play the game, etc. Furthermore, allowing an option to reduce CPU time by increasing the amount of Sleep would be extremely beneficial for overheating and power usage. This Sleep also drastically reduces many forms of lag in the game, and actually allows you to run multiple sessions of EverQuest on the same computer much more smoothly. As an EverQuest player you should be concerned about EverQuest playing nice with your system. Post on the EverQuest station boards, contact your GM, email SOE, do what needs to be done for them to read this message and give a little back to your computer for all the hard work it has done playing the game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We didn't have multi-core CPU's

This was all the way into 2003. This lines up with the anecdote I posted earlier about a friend who worked for a local telecom, Jordan was his name. Voice chat would have been laggy at best during the dial up days even though some used it, I would call foul if you used RogerWilco while running EQ between 99-2001.

If you had a second computer and additional phone line/very early adopter of cable to have a router then I might believe you but I still pass on it being accepted. Like the guy above, you had very special circumstances. Indeed the 1%. It might be something to ignore if it was still 1% of the playerbase being 3l33t but when everyone is doing it then it changes things. Recharges was also something in era that 1% knew about but I would support removing it on Green, its no longer just a few doing it to be winners.

Loose lips sink ships.
Last edited by Mblake81; 10-20-2019 at 12:19 AM..
Old 10-21-2019, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Log parsing (which is definitely classic) is simply not in the same universe as real-time log reading software that renders data into a UI.
You know what IS classic? Dll injection. So if I produce screenshots of people in 2000 sucking data from their client they were never meant to see, would you support me in bringing back that functionality?
Old 10-21-2019, 01:07 PM
Fire Giant

MQ is very classic, I remember it being used in 2000
Songs are being sung from every bard,
His passion is back and the fire burns,
With fear and renown, Norrath whispers: Uthgaard
Old 10-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You know what IS classic? Dll injection. So if I produce screenshots of people in 2000 sucking data from their client they were never meant to see, would you support me in bringing back that functionality?
Log reading has never been against the rules of the game. DLL injection or playing with the game's memory space has always been a banable offense.

And you wouldn't be "bringing it back", I'm pretty sure there are people still doing it.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:19 PM
Fire Giant

I used to be pretty ok with it. What do you need done?
Old 10-21-2019, 01:43 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I used to be pretty ok with it. What do you need done?
I've spent a long time trying myself, and I'm still not sure if my desired result is even possible. From the Gina references I've found it seems powerful but as it only parses the log, I'm not sure it can differentiate mobs with the same name both for the timer and for the timer title?

{S} lists the mobs name, but the issue is the timer resetting if I root another mob with the same name (as it re-triggers the search criteria). Of course you can configure it to start a new timer per mob even if the name is the same:

1:50 Root - A Fire Beetle
2:00 Root - A Fire Beetle

..but they are not exactly distinct, and if mob A dies then timer on mob B ends etc.

It would be sweet to make it distinct so if you root mob A, it has a timer for mob A regardless of same names on mobs B, C, D etc. What I'm looking for is a unique identifier to each mob so the timer won't reset should I root two mobs with the same name. I've messed around with {s1} but I don't see how its any different from {s}

It would be nice to append the number or variable to distinguish which mob the timer is referring to:

Ie.
1:50 Root - A Fire Beetle #1
2:00 Root - A Fire Beetle #2
Old 10-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Aviak

Log parsing is powerful. If you put /loc on a frequently used key guess what? You can easily read a log file read the coordinates and place a marker on a map. Add in sense heading check and you have a fully functional minimap.
Closed Thread