Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 04:06 PM
Large Bat

Default 36 HighElf Paladin - Need Gearing Advice

So I have almost 9K in the bank, grinding down in paineel. I plan on staying here until 39 to get my spells and then will be heading down to lower guk as I've always wanted to check that scary place out. So lets say, by the time I leave I'll have 15K.

Here is my current gear loadout

Unbuffed AC: 757
STR: 108
STA: 92
DEX: 101
WIS: 112

Ears - Cougar Claw Earring X2
Fingers - Platinum Fire Wedding Ring (x1)
Neck - Spider Fang Choker
Head - Ry'Gorr Chain Coif
Face - Dented Brass Mask
Chest - Imbued Koada'Dal Mithril Cuiriass
Arms - Black Ice Sleeves
Back - Small Splinted Bronze Cloak
Waist - Small Bronze Gridle
Shoulders - Imbued Granite Spauldors
Wrists - Hero Bracers, Imbued Koada'Dal Mithril Bracers
Legs - Imbued Koada'Dal Mithril Greaves
Hands - Silver Chitin Hand Wraps
Feet - Crystal Chitin Boots
Primary - Vehement Sword of Reivaj, Sword of Morning
Secondary - Sarnak Battle Shield
Range - Runed Oak Bow

Someone convinced me to wait to get Natures Defender instead of throwing my money away on Argent Protector. So on my radar currently is:

Silvery Belt of Contention (21% haste) 5K
Wurmslayer to replace Sword of Morning 2K
Deepwater Breastplate (symbol clickie) 12K
Deepwater Greaves (strength clickie)17K
Deepwater Helm 450p
Another Platinum Fire Wedding Ring 300p

So am I on the right track? Which of these items should i be prioritizing? Does it make sense to grab haste before AC? Should I save up for armor instead? Any other items i am missing?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2019, 12:00 AM
Planar Protector

The Sword of the Morning is serviceable and at 50 is much better than a wurm (imho) since the proc.

Id round out some cheap AC gear. Deepwater helm asap so you don’t ding 45 without that ready to click. Besides not having hps I’d get pretty much all the DW stuff that’s cheap. Maybe an Ancient Seahorse Cloak (20ac 25 hps). Definitely an decent 2h but don’t pay for an AP. Any old velium .75 ratio 2h will do.

The DW BP and legs might be more than your anticipating. I paid too much but they don’t get sold often so it’s definitely advantage to the seller vs the buyer.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:05 AM
Banned

Upgrade weapon #1
dw helm is your #2
dw arms your #3

dw legs and bp are more of a luxury item imho...and you're far better off just rolling that money in to a fungus tunic which you can use on alts etc.

It costs~7 gold per dw bp click, and the str return on the dw legs isn't that great....so more of a long term Paladin item set.

I took my Paladin to 49 iirc using a 30-37 velious 2hdander from about 35 onward with no problems, which at the time cost me 2-3k plat

A paladin's true soloin' power is in that DW helm which will be 90% of the reason you can solo, but is more of a mute point in groups where you will be reuired to just keep agro and take hits (ac/hp)...but with the gear you have wont br a problem till seb/chardok/chariss/velks.
Last edited by White_knight; 10-19-2019 at 02:07 AM..
Old 10-19-2019, 12:51 PM
Large Bat

Thank you guys so much for the information. This is the first char I've gotten this high so it's good to have some guidance now and again. The advice is very helpful. I've gotten another 65HP ring, and will be looking out for some of those items you both mentioned.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:19 PM
Kobold

A Baton of Faith 30/40 (2hb) is very nice and cannot be beat for the 100p price tag.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:52 AM
Sarnak

I have a Hooded Black Cloak for 6 goldif you want it

In game , Kitao

Send me message here and I can keep an eye out for you.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:30 PM
Kobold

Honestly, you should just wait on gear. Upgrade your earrings, rings, ranged. You're 39 now, getting 46 is the big one. You'll have access to raid gear from hate and fear which is free. The armor of ro which is easy to farm solo at your level will carry you there.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:11 AM
Orc

I agree with Invalid Bard ... armor of ro is a nice set to obtain, DW helm is nice to have too. If you are going sword and board Ghoulbane is always nice especially when you fight undead in seb paired with a cracked darkwood shield from highpass hold for the str since you are highelf. If you are going 2handed you might want to look at the mithril twohand from king as it has 31% haste attached (mithril twohand is in lower guk off the Froglok King <--- not undead). *note* this info is more for if you are willing to gear yourself without blowing lots of plat... if you want to blow some plat you can look into kunark themed gear, in which case sword and board sword of the mourning is a fine 1hs... but as a HIE Paladin you really struggle in the str and sta departments but should be quite set in WIS. Personally, having mained paladin for as long as I care to admit when it comes to tanking you would be better served sacrificing DPS for a proc weapon like the velium swords as that coupled with spamming stun on extra adds should make it quite easy to hold agro on 2-3 mobs quite easily - if all else fails root will cause a mob to attack the closest PC.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:09 PM
Sarnak

Default Pally gear

I'd suggest keeping sword of the morning over wurmslayer. It weights 0.1 and had a good dmg delay. Paired with divine might and it's proc hold agro only takes one flash and your solid if you get a few procs. I still wear my dw bp/legs but the BP isn't used as much when I solo since the fungi is hard to replace. I just got a jeldorin so I've been wearing the bp more for stats/ac. BP click isn't needed really if you have the helm.

Items I would go for with the money you will have:
DW helm
DW bracer. I still use this to stun lock, paired with your holy might stun you can click it right after it lands on casters. This will free up a spell slot and you have have your normal stun and holymighy and bracer stun. With your shield not much will get a cast off. I pull with bracer as well.
Thick banded belt. More haste would be nice but you already have the hands. More strength is definitely needed. I sometimes struggle with it still at 58 and having wr bags.
Ruby veil over dented mask. Str/Wis is hard to beat for a long time.
White Bear hide cloak
Old 10-23-2019, 02:27 AM
Kobold

Default Haste

I wouldn't even stress over a haste item tbh.
Closed Thread