Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivitron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's a valid example of saving the cooldown Izmael. Now for one where you save the cast time: pacify, a 3 second cast with 6 second cool down.

Normal slot: finish in 9 seconds.
Top slot: rejected if it finishes before 6 seconds (you save up to the 3 second cast time).

It seems you save the lesser of the two.
Yes, that is the end result. You never quite save the larger value, because you must always have the end of the spell cast exceed the cooldown. So you lose a bit of time there, depending on how far past the cooldown you go.

Its a little confusing to think about. On Cannibalize 4 for example:

Casting time: 2.5 Seconds
Cooldown time: 3 Seconds

You must wait at least 3 seconds to have the next cannibalize land. So I can see the appeal in just saying "you save the cooldown". But since the spell needs to land AFTER the cooldown has finished, you are spending a bit of additional time above the cooldown, depending on when the spell was cast. So if it takes 0.8 seconds to refresh the top spell slot, you are really waiting a total of 3.3 seconds for the second cannibalize to land. This means you really saved 3 - 0.3 seconds, which is 2.7 seconds, and closer to the casting time. Technically both sayings: "you save the cooldown" and "you save the casting time" are wrong, when looking at the example I just gave.

So maybe the best way to say it would be:

"You save the longer time (casting time or cooldown time), minus how much extra time it took to finish casting the spell after the cooldown time finished. This assumes the spell casting time and cooldown time are small enough to spam with a global cooldown refresh item."

In the rarer case where the spell cast time greatly exceeds the cooldown time (Like Complete Heal), you would be correct in saying you are saving the cooldown of the spell, minus the refresh time.

In the rarer case where the cooldown time greatly exceed the cast time (Like Divine Aura), you would save the casting time of the spell, minus the refresh time.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-04-2020 at 05:49 PM..
Old 12-04-2020, 06:01 PM
Planar Protector

This is my fault. I thought I could condense all of the possibilities into one sentence, but that isn't the case. Now that I see what Izmael is saying. I like trying to simplify into a single equation if possible[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

These are the three possibilities the top spell slot gives you, based on the spell:

1. If the casting time exceeds the cooldown time, you can save up to the cooldown time.

2. If the cooldown time greatly exceeds the casting time, you can save up to the casting time.

3. If the cooldown time is greater than the casting time (but not by a large margin), then you can save the cooldown time minus the additional time it took to finish casting the spell after the cooldown has finished.

EDIT: I think this is why I said it "saves the casting time" earlier, because two out of the three possibilities listed are times shorter than the cooldown time. So if I had to give a super short answer, technically "saving the casting time" (or close to the casting time) would be the more common scenario for the majority of spells. At least from my experience with caster classes. I certainly haven't played all of them, so I may be underestimating how many spells fit scenario 1. But ideally the discussion should be on a per spell basis for maximum clarity.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-04-2020 at 06:14 PM..
Old 12-05-2020, 04:03 PM
Sarnak

Organize your spell book and learn to page through it quickly. More than any other class I've played, I need to swap spells on my enchanter, quickly. Sometimes in the middle of stun duration.

I use xbutton mouse to map my mousewheel click to /book 3 macro in hotkey 10. Thumb mouse 1 is right arrow to page forward, thumb mouse 2 is left arrow to page backwards. This lets me access pages 1 through 6 extreme quickly without moving my hand from WASD.

Shift 1 4 I rebound spell gems 1-4, shift q through r are gems 5 through 8.

My loadout for spells is:

1 flex, usually root, tash, slow, AE mez (can mem and cast in duration of color slant or color skew), buffs, basically everything else.

2. Color slant
3. Color skew
4. Charm, can be used to sub in nuke (usually dementia) if breaking charm for killing pet.
5. Mez, entrance, dazzle, etc. depending on duration needed.
6. Bedlam or flex for weaker nuke (usually agnarchy) when breaking pets.
7. Wandering Mind 99% of the time. Used this for gate when racing for VD or other rare situations.
8. Theft of Thought 100% of the time.
Last edited by Hisamori; 12-05-2020 at 04:06 PM..
Old 12-23-2020, 02:28 PM
Sarnak

What’s your Chanter spell load out? My Chanter is about to hit 54, so I’m curious what your load outs are and strategies.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 12-26-2020, 08:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by project99toons [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What’s your Chanter spell load out? My Chanter is about to hit 54, so I’m curious what your load outs are and strategies.

Thanks for all the feedback!
My main load out has recently been:

1. main swap (buff, slow, dispel, lull line, nuke)
2. level 4 mez
3. root
4. theft of thought
5. color slant
6. color skew
7. second swap (often tash, berserker strength, ae mez)
8. often leaving charm up here

Slant and skew are mana hogs but I've found it pretty nice to be able to perma stun lock off two spell slots and to be able to recharm within a stun instead of mezzing. Both of those use cases are especially nice when you expect occasional broken mezzes. Now that I think about it I might give enthrall or entrance a shot over the level 4 mez on occasions where I am relying on stun for recharm.

Before theft of thought I pretty much permanently had ae mez memmed, and I've regretted not having it memmed a couple times.
Last edited by Vivitron; 12-26-2020 at 09:02 PM..
Closed Thread