Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 01:11 AM
Sarnak

Default Dreadlands not as popular on Green vs live

I discovered EQ back in October 2000 when I joined the Tribunal server. By the time I reached lvl 20. Kunark had been out quite awhile. The hot spot in those days was sarnak fort groups from 20-30, FM or OT groups from 30-40 and Dreadland groups outside KC from 40-50. I remember hill group 1, HG2, HG3, ruins 1, ruins 2, ect.

I spent my entire 40's in pickup groups outside KC back then. I wondered if when Kunark was released on Green if that would be the case here. It clearly is not. Is CoM that much better and we just didn't know it back then? Just curious as to why LoiO and DL are more solo/BYOG zones here when they were very much pickup group friendly back in the day.
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Old 12-05-2020, 01:19 AM
Aviak

You won't find people in many of the old leveling spots on p99 as you would on live servers. The game has been min/max'd to death and for better or worse, people stick to the same leveling track.

Game is about rushing to the end for the pixels now.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You won't find people in many of the old leveling spots on p99 as you would on live servers. The game has been min/max'd to death and for better or worse, people stick to the same leveling track.

Game is about rushing to the end for the pixels now.
Yeah pretty much this. I think changing up the ZEM's was a good move on green pre-kunark. It actually succeeded in getting people into paw and CT. A similar approach would be effective for kunark I think.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:35 AM
Aviak

IMO the most "classic" move is hidden and monthly randomized ZEMs. People didn't know too much about ZEMs back in the day and just leveled wherever.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furitor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMO the most "classic" move is hidden and monthly randomized ZEMs. People didn't know too much about ZEMs back in the day and just leveled wherever.
Maybe an announcement that they’ve made changes but no details about it. That would be fun. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 12-05-2020, 09:09 AM
Fire Giant

That's because everyone on p99 knows DL is green to 51+ minus ravishings and some widows.

Don't even bring up that classic bullshit when seafuries have been nerfed 3 years. P99 ain't classic. It is what it is.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:32 AM
Sarnak

I know exactly why, DL was good exp in groups for 40th level characters. Tons of people did not have 50th level characters when Kunark dropped on Live. Thats why. You always found 40th level groups in DL, then DL is good exp. But the extra old world ZEM's made it too easy to level to 50 on Green. Those old world ZEM did not exist pre-Kunark on live, they dropped after like Velious. Plus those old world ZEM precent boost seemed way bigger an more abundant on Green than live as well, FYI.
Also, most servers people did not figure out they could kill town guards for great exp either, only guards I ever saw camped on live was in Nek forest, that was it.
After Kunark dropped on Green, I ran out my 40th level alts LFG in DL an all I saw were 47th-50th level groups. DL is terrible exp for those levels,
Last edited by NPC; 12-05-2020 at 11:40 AM..
Old 12-05-2020, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Many if not most original servers were dramatically more heavily populated than P99 is. Couple that with the original servers being less top-heavy as mentioned above and the reason for the original game feeling more spread out becomes immediately apparent: necessity. Can't stuff 200 people into Guk and still find stuff to level off of. On Green during the initial launch rush where you had enough low-level players that folks had no choice but to go to less-used areas. Otherwise P99's leveling population is small enough that most the groupers can stick to the zones with the best experience rates leaving it mainly to solo and duo players to explore the rest of the game world.

It's not all bad. P99's population is closer to what the game was designed for. Personally, I don't particularly wax nostalgic for the days of a full group camping maybe two rooms in a dungeon with 20 min of waiting between cycles. I might also on occasion miss seeing groups in Lake of Ill Omen or similar areas but perhaps overall it's a fair trade.

Danth
Old 12-05-2020, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furitor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The staff has already stated that (something like) this is their goal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Instead of classic ZEMs, we have deliberately unclassic ZEMs here (which feel more classic because of their mystery) ... even though almost everything else here tries to copy live exactly. This is a rare staff exception to their general "classic mechanics over classic feels" policy.

The sad part is, when it comes to "controversially classic" stuff like this, they seem to give up after their first attempt and decide "it's decent enough". But if the goal of this place is to get people to see classic EverQuest, what would really be ideal (instead of one adjustment every ten years) is to rotate the ZEMs every so often to make the least-used zones have better ZEMs, and the most popular ones have worse.

They would still want to keep the ZEMs secret of course, but then they could say "ZEMs will secretly change behind the scenes, and while you can't predict them, the unpopular zones are going to get higher ZEMs over time ... so go explore Norath if you want the best XP".

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 12-05-2020 at 01:20 PM..
Old 12-05-2020, 01:02 PM
Banned

autists firsts
Closed Thread