Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
because soe catered to the lowest denominator starting at the release of SoL

cat people were dumb
bazaar ruined trading
new graphics looked like shit
new ui was dumb
mounts were dumb
porting to nexus was dumb
Vah Shir were dumb, truth
Bazaar GREATLY enhanced trading. I hate dealing with people who are concerned about getting a cheap deal. Set price and forget it. This was so glorious. EC Tunnel is neat in that people sit there, but I absolutely hate interacting with 90% of them.
New graphics... Meh. The player models I'm not a fan of the content was good though.
New UI... Meh. People on this server use way worse UIs than the Luclin one. I will be so glad the day all your fancy UI features on this server get nuked.
Mounts, wrong. Not having to sit inbetween every cast to med was great. Especially fantastic when boxing so you are always medding characters
Porting to nexus is no different than porting to WC. Nexus ports took 30~ minutes to recycle. No different than taking a boat (which many people refuse to do here and expect a port from butcher to WC.)
Old 04-10-2015, 01:40 PM
Kobold

Several reasons.

Lots hated the bazaar. They say it killed the buyer-seller social interaction. How is that a bad thing? I don't know. I guess people like to lowball with ridiculous offers. I've never had a meaningful interaction while trading, because i treat EC like i treat Wal-Mart. I get in, but my shit, and get out. I don't try to make friends with the cashier.

Lots hated the spires and easier transportation, too. I guess a 30 minutes round trip is too easy. I've never had any meaningful social interaction with a porter either. I'm polite and friendly and i tip decently considering my meager financial means, but i've never had a real conversation with someone that ported me.

I often see the "aliens and spaceship" argument, which is downright parroting the WoW argument when TBC came out. There is no spaceship in Luclin, that was world of warcraft. I guess people need their orcs/frogloks/kobolds to be happy.

The long grind of Luclin is my favorite argument, because it tells a lot about people. Most common complaints heard are "VT shard farming is too long" and "Mobs have too many hitpoints and take forever to die, so it's boring". Now that is funny.

See, the thing is most p99 players like to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they're "oldschool and hardcore". WoW and other modern MMOs are too easy, they say. There's no challenge, no sense of accomplishment. That's pretty much bullshit, because lots of people refuse to group with hybrids, the xp being too slowed down too much. I've seen people in EC ask for a port to Lavastorm, which is 2 zones away.

P99 players are huge fucking casuals at heart. If something takes too long to kill, then it's boring and not efficient enough. They spend the hardest and longest part of the road to 60 in Chardok, paying for AE pulls instead.

So the thought of VT shard farming, Ssra bane weapons molds farming and actually spending more than 15 seconds per mob while clearing Vex Thal trash, is horrible.

They like it hard, but not too hard. Just hard enough to congratulate themselves for playing "old-school EQ", but not so much to the point where they actually have to pay attention to whats happening in the game because then, they can't watch netflix at the same time.

Luclin absolutely rocks.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erydan Ouragan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Several reasons.

Lots hated the bazaar. They say it killed the buyer-seller social interaction. How is that a bad thing? I don't know. I guess people like to lowball with ridiculous offers. I've never had a meaningful interaction while trading, because i treat EC like i treat Wal-Mart. I get in, but my shit, and get out. I don't try to make friends with the cashier.

Lots hated the spires and easier transportation, too. I guess a 30 minutes round trip is too easy. I've never had any meaningful social interaction with a porter either. I'm polite and friendly and i tip decently considering my meager financial means, but i've never had a real conversation with someone that ported me.

I often see the "aliens and spaceship" argument, which is downright parroting the WoW argument when TBC came out. There is no spaceship in Luclin, that was world of warcraft. I guess people need their orcs/frogloks/kobolds to be happy.

The long grind of Luclin is my favorite argument, because it tells a lot about people. Most common complaints heard are "VT shard farming is too long" and "Mobs have too many hitpoints and take forever to die, so it's boring". Now that is funny.

See, the thing is most p99 players like to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they're "oldschool and hardcore". WoW and other modern MMOs are too easy, they say. There's no challenge, no sense of accomplishment. That's pretty much bullshit, because lots of people refuse to group with hybrids, the xp being too slowed down too much. I've seen people in EC ask for a port to Lavastorm, which is 2 zones away.

P99 players are huge fucking casuals at heart. If something takes too long to kill, then it's boring and not efficient enough. They spend the hardest and longest part of the road to 60 in Chardok, paying for AE pulls instead.

So the thought of VT shard farming, Ssra bane weapons molds farming and actually spending more than 15 seconds per mob while clearing Vex Thal trash, is horrible.

They like it hard, but not too hard. Just hard enough to congratulate themselves for playing "old-school EQ", but not so much to the point where they actually have to pay attention to whats happening in the game because then, they can't watch netflix at the same time.

Luclin absolutely rocks.
This guy gets it.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
because soe catered to the lowest denominator starting at the release of SoL

cat people were dumb
bazaar ruined trading
new graphics looked like shit
new ui was dumb
mounts were dumb
porting to nexus was dumb
P99 staff catered to the lowest denominator when they added the loot pinata rules.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Kobold

Space ships are classic. See North Qeynos!
Old 04-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Orc

I've always been a firm believer that Luclin was largely unfinished when released and simply bandaided later.

It has the foundation of another Velious. It just seems like they never had time to incorporate quests/storylines into the multiple city factions on the moon. They built their zones, placed the mobs, made loot tables but forgot to inject life into it or something.

The only part of it that was truly done was SSRA. All of the events are awesome. Imagine if all of Luclin had this same level of effort/attention/polish. Everything else in the expansion seemed like the mobs got placed, deadline got hit so those mobs just became walls of HP.

If P99 wanted to do something really special they could finish Luclin and put it much more in line with the style of Velious.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella`Ella [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 staff catered to the lowest denominator when they added the loot pinata rules.
#FFAvelious2015
Old 04-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Fire Giant

Most people are down with the pain in the ass stuff of Luclin like keys and super long/hard VT. What we're not down with is the stream line bullshit: spires, bazaar, cats and aliens, those atrocious graphics, etc.

Most people have love or appreciation/respect for Ssra and VT. Literally everything else sucked total anus.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Vah Shir were dumb, truth
Bazaar GREATLY enhanced trading. I hate dealing with people who are concerned about getting a cheap deal. Set price and forget it. This was so glorious. EC Tunnel is neat in that people sit there, but I absolutely hate interacting with 90% of them.
New graphics... Meh. The player models I'm not a fan of the content was good though.
New UI... Meh. People on this server use way worse UIs than the Luclin one. I will be so glad the day all your fancy UI features on this server get nuked.
Mounts, wrong. Not having to sit inbetween every cast to med was great. Especially fantastic when boxing so you are always medding characters
Porting to nexus is no different than porting to WC. Nexus ports took 30~ minutes to recycle. No different than taking a boat (which many people refuse to do here and expect a port from butcher to WC.)
Meh, EC tunnel was a special place for many people. You may not have liked it, but that doesn't change the fact that many people did love it. And they essentially gutted that special place for a lot of people in favor of AFK vendoring.

Mounts were not visible or usable unless you used the new graphics IIRC, making them ultra-dumb.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Orc

disable the afk vendoring feature and the bazaar becomes a nice hub of interactive commerce complete with tradeskill basics, banking, vendors and an arena.
Closed Thread