Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Explain why would a moon cat would be any worse than a jungle lizard??
Isn't it obvious? They're furry! And if you don't lock them out of the nursery they'll sleep on the baby's face and smother it! Most importantly tho, cats are good for chasing the little red dot from a laser pointer and forcing you to vacuum 63x as often as any sane human being would ever choose, it would be heretical and blasphemous to repurpose them for use outside of their divinely ordained place in the world.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erydan Ouragan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But they consider them being classic because in their mind classic/kunark/velious is classic, when it's not. Classic is level 50 and old world only.
Pre-kunark is Vanilla.

Pre-luclin is Classic.

Let me fix it for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erydan Ouragan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But they consider them being classic because in their mind vanilla/kunark/velious is classic. Vanilla is level 50 and old world only.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Fire Giant

I thought there was alot of unfinished content that really disappointed me about Luclin along with the rush to release feel. I remember doing Ring of Fire event when the expansion was released and getting statless items. A pair of boots that looked cool with the studded leather graphic but that had no stats and I dont think they were even equippable at the time. Later they added clicky SoW charges and made them no drop so my lowbie Beastlord mule had them along with some other drops and couldnt give them to anyone who was actually on the raid. Other events and zones were incomplete. There were places that felt like there should be more to them that eventually the only thing they had was a rare or two or maybe a shard for the VT key.

I remember an NPC that I kited on my druid around a small courtyard for probably an hour while the rest of my guild range attacked him because everytime he hit someone he would proc DA from a hammer. That was probably the most fun I remember in that expansion. Vampires were neat but when you only really remember 1 raid fondly and everything else is kind of blah it doesnt make for alot of enthusiasm for that expansion.

It was like Sony felt they had to release the expansion early before completing or polishing it. After that they seemed to get more into the swing of things and still released the expansions too fast but they appeared to be more complete. This was just the first one and the mistakes showed.

Disclaimer-This is just my opinion and feelings no Devs or Sony employees were hurt in the posting of this thread. Though I did club a few baby Otters in honor of Velious.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Fire Giant

kitties in space
Old 04-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Planar Protector

If you can't see how going from fighting dragons on middle-earth to warping to the moon to fight aliens is, in essence, the downfall of Everquest lore, I can't help you.

It has nothing to do with the Vah Shir. It has everything to do with classic EverQuest Lore.

Quote:
The Vah Shir were originally from the continent of Odus , but when the Erudites moved there, a clash occurred and the Vah Shir were teleported by the Erudites to the moon.
I mean, really?

The Vah Shir were excommunicated from their homeland and sent to the moon of Luclin by Erudites, but are tolerant of all races and religions? Not even a little grudge?

So in actuality, the Erudites are not the oppressed race, but it is the Vah Shir.

SoE should have given a portion of Odus back to the Vah Shir in future expansions, as an apology for teleporting them off of Norrath.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you can't see how going from fighting dragons on middle-earth to warping to the moon to fight aliens is, in essence, the downfall of Everquest lore, I can't help you.

It has nothing to do with the Vah Shir. It has everything to do with classic EverQuest Lore.

I mean, really?

The Vah Shir were excommunicated from their homeland and sent to the moon of Luclin by Erudites, but are tolerant of all races and religions? Not even a little grudge?

So in actuality, the Erudites are not the oppressed race, but it is the Vah Shir.

SoE should have given a portion of Odus back to the Vah Shir in future expansions, as an apology for teleporting them off of Norrath.
Far from it, didn't they show Luclin exploding in the sky at the start of EQ2? Poor cats. Kerrans were just a poor man's vah shir in that game, they didn't have the grace or cat style of the vah shir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin Fantasy Creatures
--------------------

Shades
Vampires
Cat People
Grimlings
Akhevans
Shissar
Gantru
Lightcrawler
Giant Insects
Rockhoppers
Muck Beetles
Thought Horrors
Troglodytes
Fungoids
Owlbears

Luclin Alien Creatures
----------------
Centi
Old 04-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pre-kunark is Vanilla.

Pre-luclin is Classic.

Let me fix it for you...
This is the most elegant explanation thus far. Classic embodies a design philosophy and set of ideals that were uniformly embraced throughout the first three releases. SoL was a departure from those ideals.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaderman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin Fantasy Creatures
--------------------

Shades
Vampires
Cat People
Grimlings
Akhevans
Shissar
Gantru
Lightcrawler
Giant Insects
Rockhoppers
Muck Beetles
Thought Horrors
Troglodytes
Fungoids
Owlbears

Luclin Alien Creatures
----------------
Centi
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-14-2015, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the most elegant explanation thus far. Classic embodies a design philosophy and set of ideals that were uniformly embraced throughout the first three releases. SoL was a departure from those ideals.
Which were?

Still most content required groups.
Still all raid mobs required raids
Still much of the best gear was the result of quests
Still if you want to group you go to a zone where grouping occurs and LFG
Still if you want loot someone has to kill the mob and sell it to you or you have to kill it yourself

I don't see any deviation from "classic" in Luclin or PoP. The main deviation I would cite is the lessened importance of race/faction in those expansions. Which is based on lore. These people on Luclin, they don't know much of the people from Antonica, Faydwer or Odus so they are friendly to all, or in many cases they are apprehensive. In the Plane of Knowledge they have transcended the infighting among races as a greater threat looms (the gods themselves) and the unity of all the mortals of Norrath is required to meet this new threat. So even that is acceptable.

Race had a large importance with the stat bonus and innate bonuses early on, read every thread min/maxers make on these forums. Come PoP however, those bonuses are mostly irrelevant, which was a good development because people who started way back when didn't know anything about stat differences etc. It allowed everyone to get on an even field despite their original stat allocation or character creation. Where as a dark elf warrior is at a sizable stat disadvantage to a barbarian or ogre in vanilla.
Closed Thread