Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 11:43 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Clarification on outdoor swarm kiting

Lets say I am a level 52 bard and I need to make some plat. The best place I know to earn money fast is swarm kiting giants in Rathe Mountains. I picked up all the spawns I can see and am kiting as usual when I start to get nasty tells that I am going to be reported and that I can't take all the spawns in the area.

I am aware that people can camp a single mob in an outdoor zone but no one seemed to be camping anything in particular. There were a few other people in the zone also hunting giants but I tagged the kills first so no kill stealing happened. No one was trained because the giants are all following me.

So the real question is does taking most of the giant spawns violate the play nice policy? Is this something I could be banned for?
Old 06-06-2020, 12:26 PM
Sarnak

Don’t think you are doing anything “wrong” but kind of a bleh move to swarm hill giants.

People pay good pp/hr for PLs in zones where there are too many mobs.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikthek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So the real question is does taking most of the giant spawns violate the play nice policy? Is this something I could be banned for?
Taking "most" does violate it (although you'd likely get a warning or suspension first, not a ban). The relevant section for bard swarming is generally this one:

Quote:
10. You may not disrupt the normal playability of a zone or area.

Zone/Area Disruption is defined as any activity designed to harm or inconvenience a number of groups rather than a specific player or group of players. This includes, but is not limited to::

-Monopolizing most or all of the kills in an area.

- Deliberately blocking a doorway or narrow area so other players cannot get past.

- Refusing to cooperate with the other parties at a contested spawn site after having been instructed to do so by a P99CSR.

- Making excessive and inappropriate use of public channels of communications (/shout, /ooc, etc.).

- Intentionally causing excessive zone latency (creating excessive corpses, abusing spell effects, etc.).

- Causing intentional experience loss to other players (deliberately impeding fleeing players by blocking their escape route, intentionally training NPCs on other players, etc.).
So in other words, you absolutely can swarm kite Hill Giants ... or anything else ... as long as you don't do so many that you are:

Quote:
-Monopolizing most or all of the kills in an area.
And like anything in the PnP, "most or all" is deliberately not defined, so everyone (both you, and the other players there) just have to guess as to whether the amount you're taking qualifies as "most" or not ... and then if someone /petitions and a GM shows up, you get to find out if you're right. If you want to be safe I'd count the number of spawns there and never take more than half, so that by definition you aren't taking "most".

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:41 PM
Sarnak

I'd say best practice is to ask what other people are hunting and avoid it. As Loramin mentioned you're not allowed to monopolize "most" kills in an area. If there are only a few other players hunting you can easily work out what they're camping and avoid those areas. I'd recommend doing this AHEAD of time.

The upside is if all players agree then everyone is happy and they can't really complain when you take everything left unclaimed.

The downside is if everyone is hunting giants as well you might end up with an equal share of them instead of obscene money.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

swarm kite until you get a tell from a guide to "knock it off"
lol
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:24 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thank you for the replies. These are very helpful.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:28 PM
Sarnak

I was waiting for someone to find and post the specific forum thread where they say it's ok except for HG's in Rathe Mountains. For that reason alone I never tried to quad them.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacman08 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was waiting for someone to find and post the specific forum thread where they say it's ok except for HG's in Rathe Mountains. For that reason alone I never tried to quad them.
I can find you posts where I've ranted about people quading seafuries [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I've sure it's just a matter of time before some fresh blood starts going hard on the HG quads and gets a new thread.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:00 PM
Sarnak

Just wanted to clarify, we are saying a bard, with the fastest run speed in the game, is ok to swarm and take all the HG's in Rathe that he can manage as long as he is FTE.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacman08 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't guarantee that what you're talking about doesn't exist ... but as someone who does my best to watch for staff quotes (so I can add them to the wiki), if a staff member said that I for one didn't see it.

You may instead be thinking of this, which does not say that you can only kill one HG at a time! Instead, it indicates that (like all outdoor zones) you can only "own" one spawn point. You can kill as many as you want (modulo the zone disruption issue I already mentioned), but if another player starts taking the respawns of the ones you just killed, you have no special claim on them.

The context there is that if you wanted to sit at the spawn point of one HG and just camp it, you could prevent other players from taking that one spawn. I believe all Galach is saying in that quote is you can only do that to one HG spawn.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread