Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Sarnak

Brad has a good heart and close to the right vision, however you define that, and some other people on the team too, but its still getting poisoned with things like target rings, nameplates with buffs under them, a "perception" system that tells you when to look for secrets, etc. But at least they're keeping in corpse runs (so it seems, despite them ignoring that mechanic every time they stream and using GM commands cause they think that actually playing the game will look too boring or that the new impatient retard generation wont "have time" to deal with the consequences for failure and why its necessary to make the world feel exciting and dangerous.) And there's one or more people in the company who have zero experience with MMO's and generally suck at the game with a casual mentality and feel the need to copy features from the mass of other garbage that's been released in the last 10 years.

Literally all they had to do was replicate EQ mechanics with updated art, spells, zones etc. Or even keep the same particle effects because they were awesome. Or even the same damn spells with different names! One of the biggest reasons why people don't play EQ anymore is just because its old and played out already, including the graphics. An "EQ" replica would have the same effect as wiping a server where everyone wants to be the first to play and it would bring in even more people. And its false to assume that the new generation can't deal with corpse runs or other things that makes EQ one of the few games to invoke a real sense of adventure, achievement, community, and excitement.

And i've tried influencing the development with lots of practical suggestions, reasons, and examples but its still being diluted. But that doesn't mean it will suck. It could be ok, but it won't be EQ2 from what I see so far. I hope i'm wrong or at least the combat is fun and I can build a cool looking character to fight stuff with and get unique powerful items and a real sense of danger due to corpse runs. Even if other features make it worse.
Last edited by Saludeen; 02-01-2019 at 12:17 PM..
Old 02-01-2019, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divarin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I hear people talk about what an MMO should be, or where an MMO went wrong, or why classic EQ is better or what Pantheon is going to be or what Pantheon should be it comes down to that person wanting EQ. Classic EQ. Project 1999 EQ.

Speaking for myself, what I'm missing is the novelty and discovery that came with EQ. Not only discovering new lands but new mechanics and faction systems and religions and classes and skill combinations and spell effects etc.. Just learning a new world and all of it's intricacies.

If Pantheon was 99% P-99 but with better graphics and some different maps then I'd miss out on that discovery. I'm hoping that Pantheon, when and if it is ever released, is it's own game. Not a clone, not a remake, not a "reloaded" just an MMO born from the passion of its developers who know what makes an MMO good and what makes it crap.

I feel that the devs working on it have the right passion and the right attitude. I don't want to truly know what it is until it's out because I don't want to miss out on the discovery, and maybe I'll be disappointed and maybe I won't but that's exactly what I felt when I picked up "The Ruins of Kunark" off the shelf at my local Fred Meyer's store back in the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saludeen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Brad has a good heart and close to the right vision, however you define that, and some other people on the team too, but its still getting poisoned with things like target rings, nameplates with buffs under them, a "perception" system that tells you when to look for secrets, etc. But at least they're keeping in corpse runs (so it seems, despite them ignoring that mechanic every time they stream and using GM commands cause they think that actually playing the game will look too boring or that the new impatient retard generation wont "have time" to deal with the consequences for failure and why its necessary to make the world feel exciting and dangerous.) And there's one or more people in the company who have zero experience with MMO's and generally suck at the game with a casual mentality and feel the need to copy features from the mass of other garbage that's been released in the last 10 years.

Literally all they had to do was replicate EQ mechanics with updated art, spells, zones etc. Or even keep the same particle effects because they were awesome. Or even the same damn spells with different names! One of the biggest reasons why people don't play EQ anymore is just because its old and played out already, including the graphics. An "EQ" replica would have the same effect as wiping a server where everyone wants to be the first to play and it would bring in even more people. And its false to assume that the new generation can't deal with corpse runs or other things that makes EQ one of the few games to invoke a real sense of adventure, achievement, community, and excitement.

And i've tried influencing the development with lots of practical suggestions, reasons, and examples but its still being diluted. But that doesn't mean it will suck. It could be ok, but it won't be EQ2 from what I see so far. I hope i'm wrong or at least the combat is fun and I can build a cool looking character to fight stuff with and get unique powerful items and a real sense of danger due to corpse runs. Even if other features make it worse.
totally feel it
Old 02-02-2019, 06:53 AM
Aviak

I'm not getting a Classic EQ vibe from Pantheon (which isn't a bad thing).

It has that same need to think about the pull before you do it gameplay, but the feel seems completely different. EQ is very much like an FPS in regards to speed and reaction of movement which is one of the things that set it apart when compared to AC or DAoC.

Pantheon looks more like those games pace wise. Not as snappy or FPS(y).

It'll be all about exploring a new world and having new experiences which seems a big enough reason to play it over or as well as P99.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:20 AM
Planar Protector

MMORPGs were cool when people didnt used voicechat that much.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And when they had to group with each other.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berendar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not getting a Classic EQ vibe from Pantheon (which isn't a bad thing).

It has that same need to think about the pull before you do it gameplay, but the feel seems completely different. EQ is very much like an FPS in regards to speed and reaction of movement which is one of the things that set it apart when compared to AC or DAoC.

Pantheon looks more like those games pace wise. Not as snappy or FPS(y).

It'll be all about exploring a new world and having new experiences which seems a big enough reason to play it over or as well as P99.
Huh?
Old 02-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggens [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Huh?
Yeah, he has that backwards.

If anything DAOC is a perfect example of what he's describing.

That game has position-reliant melee attacks, which makes pvp like Quake with swords.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this much we agree on.

There is nothing that reminds me that everyone is some IRL scumbag instead of that cute wittle female gnome your grouping with than when they get on voice chat and its some bro-dude

or that dum ogre dat's just makin his way tru da world, turns out to be some douchebag nerd who really like the cleveland indians.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaringChildren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, he has that backwards.

If anything DAOC is a perfect example of what he's describing.

That game has position-reliant melee attacks, which makes pvp like Quake with swords.

No i see what he is saying. Eq doesnt have a 'delay' so to speak when moving or attacking. Daoc and AC felt slower and almost felt turn based since you could physically see and feel the 'refresh'

Everquest has the same 'tick' type system but its harder to notice because its sped up a bit. Ive seen people manipulate the tick in eq by being able to walk passed kos mobs if they did it at the end of the tick before it starts over.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 02-02-2019, 05:41 PM
Planar Protector

Mark my words, Pantheon will never come to fruition.
Closed Thread