Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 11:16 PM
Planar Protector

Look at it this way: there has to be a worst class by every metric. And measuring by the metric of XP grouping, Wizards are unquestionably the worst class. It is what it is. But if you judge by other metrics, Wizards are actually quite good. They are the best burst DPS. They are one of the top raiding classes. They are (in Velious) the only class that can Translocate, which is an absolutely amazing spell line. They are one of the best classes for solo XP with quadding. They are the lowest APM and lowest responsibility class in the game (relaxing playstyle). So there are plenty of reasons to play a Wizard. Joining XP groups just isn't one of them.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:00 AM
Kobold

Yesterday I was playing cleric in unrest (basement). There are some nasty casters around (festering hags).

Once the Paladin tank left, I was the only one left with stuns. We had a rogue, chanter, necro, shaman and sk in group. I would have switched the necro or rogue for a wizard in a heartbeat. For big nukes and stuns. They just have to be interrupted and bursted down fast.

The fact that I was on interrupt duty as a cleric really limited my mana regeneration. But taking aoe's from the hags is beyond healing capability.
<Aanelenye> lvl 43 Paladin
<Vaalyun> lvl 48 Wizard
Blue chars: retired

Old 06-25-2020, 10:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look at it this way: there has to be a worst class by every metric. And measuring by the metric of XP grouping, Wizards are unquestionably the worst class. It is what it is.
Thanks Vexenu, definitely an interesting observation. I was just thinking custom content to help Wizards group better might be more in line with the vision of the original game developers. The ability solo on a Wizard is mostly based on kiting which the developers shared was never intended to be a game mechanic, which is actually a case study in emergent game-play which is a fascinating topic in itself.

I’d also support an additional/cranking up the xp bonus for grouping vs solo (so I’m kind of a radical thinker compared to a lot of purists) to incentivize grouping. It seems silly that for a MMO in many cases soloing is better experience than grouping. <—This from a guy who solos a lot.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:41 PM
Sarnak

The statements about xp grouping and Wizards being the 'worst' at it are making an assumption about the xp groups: that they are of the boring, slow, common tank/heal/CC/dps type.

AE groups are by far the best xp groups, and Wizards are at the core of ae groups.

Who wants a boring xp group, anyway?

Form ae groups or interesting duos, trios, etc.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:31 AM
Sarnak

Yes in a traditional exp group, wizards arent apart of the min/max but looking past that, they aren't terrible and in certain zones nice to have. Especially zones with nasty casters when you need concentrated bursts/stuns. I welcome a attentive wizard in any group i make, however to many of them burn there mana pool and afk for at least 10mins. That leaves a bad taste in anyone's mouth. BUT one of my favorite things I love about EQ is reputation, and it sticks with you. So for me idgaf if you do your job, I will always invite you.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Fire Giant

Wizards don't need anything except pointy wizard hats.
Mithras Firehealer - 60 cleric
Gurig Fireplague - 53 necro
Umphrey McGee - 55 magician
Loden Arrows - 46 ranger
Old 07-03-2020, 10:06 AM
Orc

Wizards are a bag of crap on Green and if you disagree you either haven't played one or you're blinkered one.

I really don't know why I play one. Yet here I log in almost every day.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by annali [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizards are a bag of crap on Green and if you disagree you either haven't played one or you're blinkered one.

I really don't know why I play one. Yet here I log in almost every day.
You're strong in kunark if you choose to raid, if not then time to re roll
Old 07-06-2020, 06:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblewitz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine how balanced the clothies would be if wizards were given the clarity line instead of enchanters.
I've often thought this would be the most clutch and single most game balancing change they could make.

Would instantly make Wizards far more viable not only for their own viability (aka more mana for themselves) but also make them a hot commodity in groups...

Simultaneously you would reduce the meme worthy power of enchanters and bring charm back into balance.

Hindsight is 20/20.
Closed Thread