Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 09:28 PM
Banned

starting up a cleric/monk 2 box soon

sounds like fun =)
Old 08-22-2021, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

sounds like fun =)
Monks are lousy tanks on TAKP, fyi
Old 08-22-2021, 09:54 PM
Planar Protector

I like what they're doing there and I like the old client, but the boxing is the part that keeps me away. That said, I'm sure it's a lot of fun for folks who like to play that way and it fills a needed niche in the classic server catalog and wouldn't shame anyone for playing there.

It was cool as hell listening to the old midi music and riding the proper boats across the Ocean of Tears though.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

sounds like fun =)
misspelled shaman/monk
Old 08-23-2021, 06:23 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like what they're doing there and I like the old client, but the boxing is the part that keeps me away. That said, I'm sure it's a lot of fun for folks who like to play that way and it fills a needed niche in the classic server catalog and wouldn't shame anyone for playing there.

It was cool as hell listening to the old midi music and riding the proper boats across the Ocean of Tears though.
Actually, there's plenty of folks who don't box. It's increasingly great seeing folks in the P99 refugee guild (Blood Guard) who are single boxing and having a blast.

TAKP has a player counter that shows actual populations on their forums.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

While the totals are a shell of what P99's numbers are currently, you have to remember that you don't have to box. Nor do you have to actively play 3 characters.

I had to get over the idea that 'boxers are around me' and that it would actually, instead, benefit me to have them there.

Yes, there's a few that box 3. No, they won't exclude you. In fact, for XP grinding, it's often better to have your 3 box and 2 other soloer who are actively contributing.

2002-era EQ actually has a revamped XP formula, and specifically there was a bug on EQMac that resulted in an experience bonus for every player after 3. There is a significant bonus to simply just having another person in your group after 3.

The chart is as follows:
1 member - 100% / 1 = 100%
2 members - 120% / 2 = 60%
3 members - 140% / 3 = 46.7%
4 members - 220% / 4 = 55%
5 members - 260% / 5 = 52%
6 members - 260% / 6 = 43.3%

Of course, this does not include kill speed, which is sped up drastically with more players. 4 is the sweet spot, and 5 minimally detracts from experience.

The wiki is a great source of this information, and players who play on TAKP are highly aware - to the point where people actually actively seek out a 'fourth' solo / 2boxer player to compliment their trio, as it benefits them massively, even if they just leech experience.

http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Experience_Points

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 08-23-2021, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

sounds like fun =)
takp is a fantastic server, knowing your age I think you will really enjoy it. It feels more classic than anything else available. the netcode and pathing in particular are sooo classic in behavior that it knocks my socks off and foils up my head
Old 08-23-2021, 06:30 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
u can't third person zoom? that's a no for me then
This is actually entirely more classic than P99.

P99 should actually not have third person mousewheel zooming. It's a pain in the ass to use insert/delete, but it's era-appropriate and specific to their client.

If you really care about it, there's a github link out there with a client hack that restores mousewheel by hooking it up to a third-party program, of which TAKP's developers will not detect, as they don't scan for third party programs. Short of you streaming the mousewheel, they won't actively pursue you.

Same for things like buff timers. There was something in that same repository that would estimate buff times remaining on the buff list. Not era-appropriate, technically would get you banned, but again, TAKP isn't in the business of being ultra-aggressive in scanning for passive hacks like that, scrollwheel and ShowEQ/MySEQ like p99 is.

In my opinion, those mods don't detract from the experience. But not everyone agrees, and they're in a 'don't ask, don't tell' situation.

No I won't compile it for you. Don't ask.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:34 PM
Banned

i am glad the server filters out the mustzooms
Old 08-23-2021, 07:04 PM
Banned

Yeah all my gaming free time is going into P99 atm, but I appreciate the info on the way to jury-rig the zoom if I do try takp. Id need to download 2 clients to 2box right?

I play p99 80% of the time in 3rd person zoomed out. Only time I play first person is in cramped dungeons where I can’t zoom
Old 08-23-2021, 07:42 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah all my gaming free time is going into P99 atm, but I appreciate the info on the way to jury-rig the zoom if I do try takp. Id need to download 2 clients to 2box right?

I play p99 80% of the time in 3rd person zoomed out. Only time I play first person is in cramped dungeons where I can’t zoom
You need one client and you double click on eqgame.exe twice.

It will look like this (on, for example, a 2440x1080 monitor):

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Closed Thread