Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 11:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ohhh i got you, these days even the re-entry speed of MIRVs aren't enough, because the ICBM missle trajectories are very limited, and no MIRVs are known to have the ability to maneuver once deployed, so once launched (giant rocket, seen by satellites) we will know all of its likely entry points, and have fair advanced warning, a minimum of 30 minutes, up to hours of time to intercept the maximum of 10 warheads per ICBM

a short range launch from a submarine off the coast would have a better chance of hitting something, because its less time launch to impact, but still very visible.

the entire idea around "hypersonics" is to simply arrive faster than your enemy can calculate a firing solution to hit your missle.
I think neither can be defended so the new missile is a bag of hot air. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

/shrug
Old 11-02-2021, 12:03 AM
Planar Protector

based on what i read/watch the idea I get is something like this,

h00:m00 "Commander, we have detected an incoming projectile"

h00:m02 "Confirmed with X,Y,Z stations that we indeed have an incoming projectile"

h00:m03 "Projectile moving very fast, your orders Sir?"

h00:m05 "Relay instruction to alpha bravo charlie air defenses, intercept projectile at - BOOM!"
Old 11-02-2021, 12:03 AM
Banned

If the new missiles cheeper and requires less manpower to maintain its a win. Neither can be defended on a large scale tho. To sneak in close you can't go mach.

The whole point of point defense tho is its only defending a point. And is automated.. so its turned on and left on until "mission accomplished". No human interaction necessary at that point. I feel like u could pretty much track, and instantly destroy anything moving fast enough through atmo. Which will be easy for a point defense system to see. U can't be stealthy at mach speeds.

Lazers do exist and are producable and deployable in sufficient quantities. They can target and destroy normal ballistic shells midflight. This has been reliably done.

Between 910 and 1,070 m/s (3,000–3,500 ft/s)

It's likely that the missile specs may be overblown and puffed up some. So idk.

That's 5626.64 feet per second at mach 5 which imo can still be easily tracked via infrared and zapped.

So an area of like 50 square kilometers could plausibly be defended with classified weapons that "don't exist".
Last edited by starkind; 11-02-2021 at 12:09 AM..
Old 11-02-2021, 12:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If the new missiles cheeper and requires less manpower to maintain its a win. Neither can be defended on a large scale tho.

The whole point of point defense tho is its only defending a point. And is automated.. so its turned on and left on until "mission accomplished". No human interaction necessary at that point. I feel like u could pretty much track, and instantly destroy anything moving fast enough through atmo. Lazers do exist and are producable and deployable in sufficient quantities. They can target and destroy normal ballistic shells midflight.

Between 910 and 1,070 m/s (3,000–3,500 ft/s)

It's likely that the missile specs may be overblown and puffed up some. So idk.

That's 5626.64 feet per second at mach 5 which imo can still be easily tracked via infrared and zapped.

So an area of like 50 square kilometers could plausibly be defended with classified weapons that "don't exist".
Lasers destroy things through heat which isn't a good defense in short-yardage situations.

Send boba.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:11 AM
Banned

Really powerful ones only need a second or less to destabilize an already Really hot fast moving object tho probably [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-02-2021, 12:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale biologist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
short-yardage situations.
now you're talking about my one of my favorites! CIWS!

It reminds me of Battlestar Galactica's firing solution, even if its only one cannon, and galactica had like, a million.

Circling back to OP, apply A.I. to any of these systems, and that human element that takes minutes to hours to respond, reduces to seconds if you allow the A.I. to decide when to fire, and then its Skynet. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

that attacker/defender pendulum really is gonna swing back and forth until we just destroy ourselves.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Really powerful ones only need a second or less to destabilize an already Really hot fast moving object tho probably [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
True this, you just gotta increase the heat on the missle body which is already very hot due to air friction.

but you still gotta find it, and aim your system at it, and humans are slow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-02-2021, 12:19 AM
Banned

Computers and algorithms are fast. Who cares if you miss some, with good saturation. 5 million laser? vs 10 million rocket. ?

Probably only useful in scenarios were u just absolutely must defend a single high value target against all odds. Having one of those Probably means you're too centralized and suck. El presidente is probably bitchmade enough whoever it is tho.

Defense is still dumb.

Circle back to MAD
Old 11-02-2021, 12:24 AM
Planar Protector

*scratches head*

how do we actually win a first strike? i totally didn't just get a call from the DoD who said they are out of ideas.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
*scratches head*

how do we actually win a first strike? i totally didn't just get a call from the DoD who said they are out of ideas.
we all kill each other before some external enemy gets the chance to kill us
Closed Thread